1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High Rib Guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Straight50, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Who shoots a high rib gun and why? Do you find its an advantage over a low or medium rib? If you shoot one, have you always shot one? I have been toying with the idea, but hate to install one and find it doesn't help my scores, makes them worse, or doesn't make any difference. Your thoughts please.

2. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

Check out Dennis Devault he is on here a lot I get his news letter he does a lot of high ribs and a article in his news letter was the best explanation I have seen. I shoot a TMX which is a high rib and I love it. I have shot a lot of trap guns this is my last. I had moneymaker but a high rib on my mx it is coming along still working on it I use it for sporting clays. Tom
    twcpdc_2010_230225.jpg

3. Straight50

Straight50 Member

WOW! Super nice looking gun Tom. Do you shoot a high poi also?

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I wanted to buy a new TMX in the early 80's so I phoned a big name dealer in PA and asked about them and they told me that Dan Bonillas did not shoot the DB-81 he endorsed in Trap & Field because he thought he was shooting off the barrel instead of the rib especially in low light. In 1987 I tried out a used TMX and shot a good Handicap score with it on the trial so I bought it and have used it ever since. My TMX shoots about 9" high at 40 yards and I see a little rib between the beads. I also have a conventional rib MX-3 single barrel for my Doubles gun and the stock fits about the same and it has the same POI as the TMX. I do think the MX-3 is a little more intuitive to shoot but my scores are better with the TMX so that is my go to gun for Singles and Handicap. I am reluctant to buy a new high rib Unsingle because I think I am one of those guys who cannot shoot an Unsingle so I stick with Top Singles. Every time I have tried raising my comb to get a higher POI my scores have gone in the tank. I personally don't feel a need for an adjustable rib.

pedulla thanked this.
  5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I hope you have another barrel for your gun. It would be hard to shoot sporting clays with a single barrel gun.

Nice looking gun. I like the wood and the case harding.

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I shoot a somewhat high rib gun, not an unsingle. What it did for me is eliminate heat distortion around the end of the barrel, which was a real problem especially under the lights. Much improved scores as compared to my old gun, a standard bt-99. Bill

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

A high rib enables me to keep my head up & eyes level. Also in this position in reduces the problem of lifting the head from the stock. I don't have to crawl fwd and for a shooter 70+ anything that reduces fatigue is a +.

Phil Berkowitz

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If you need a high rib and want it to shoot high it has to have slope in it not a straight high flat equal height rib, Like a TMX Rib it is a high rib but an almost flat rib, it just raises your head in a more upright position.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Dennis builds a nice high shooting adjustable rib, I would like to have an Infinity, The high POI Model He builds them to various POI depending on the customer,

Straight50 be prepared to spend some money on getting your stock to see over the rib or having a custom stock made,

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Thanks to all for your opinions about high rib guns. Gary, I know you shoot a high poi, having read some of your posts. But are the ribs on your guns high as well? I believe you are of average size and build??? Right?

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I preferred high ribs until I gave a low rib Blaser (now MY Blaser) a test drive. Even an old dog can learn new tricks.

12. Cajun Blaster

Cajun Blaster Member

I'm a new shooter with about 2 years of shooting. My first year, I shot a top single with a fixed rib a little less than 1/2" high and a fixed stock. In June '12 I switched to an unsingle with an adjustable rib (high rib)and an adjustable stock. The stock was all the way down. I started with the rib. It was set to where I had to aim well under the bird. I raised the rib until I could cover up the bird on singles. My scores improved from mid 90's to 98's and higher. Shot my first 100 after about 2 months. My handicap scores jumped also. I got 6 1/2 yards in 2 months. For me, I was able to adjust the rib to get the view I wanted. Don't ask me about Point of Aim or Point of impact because that doesn't mean anything to me. (Remember - I am a new shooter.) I adjusted for the sight picture I wanted. It made a big difference to me. Now if I could only get my doubles scores to climb! You can check my scores and see the improvement. I am a little on the small side - 5'2" tall or short - however you see it.

Davin

13. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Excellent Davin! I too have been shooting trap for my second year now. I am not doing nearly as well as you. A 97 in singles and a 96 in handicap so far and a 1/2 yard with the 96. I progressed fairly quickly to the level I am at now, but have been stuck at this point for about a year now. This is the reason I was asking about shooting a gun with a higher rib. I am glad to hear you have done so well though. I practice as much as possible (wife says too much) but can't seem to get consistently high scores. Usually around the low to mid 90 range. Maybe I need to take a break? Anyway, thanks everyone for your posts.

14. BuddyTrapChamp

BuddyTrapChamp Member

I do not have a high rib gun but i have shot them i like them because it when i look at the front bead with a short rib when its hot i cant see it with a high rib i can still see it.

15. dale1957

dale1957 Member

I am a skeet shooter and shoot an adjustable high-rib Krieghoff Pro Skeet. I also built a 1100 classic trap to match my Krieghoff as close as possible. I will never go back unless hunting. One thing anyone who wants to try to change. U must give it an honest try. Not 100 shells but 10000 shells. Make sure the gun is shooting where u r looking and have at it.Ur head is in a more upright position, but u still can raise ur head. U have to keep the same mechanics as a low rib gun. I shoot with my instructor who is over 70 yrs old and has been competetive shooting over 40 yrs. He tried it and will never go back. If he could be won over, it is worth a try for anybody.

16. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Straight50, there is more to it than high or low rib. For me, a rib is high enough to eliminate heat risers even in the Summer. My MX-2000RS combo does that. The rib on the O/U barrels is just high enough to eliminate the risers, but not high enough to give the the improved view of the target I get when shooting the unsingle barrel.

I'd like to have the O/U rib higher because it would help me pick up the second doubles target quicker. However, I really don't want the unsingle rib higher. All that superstructure on the really high ribbed guns is distracting.

17. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

ZZT, do you have any cross eye dominance? I too shoot an RS combo and I don't see anything but the top of the rib. Your comment about "distracting" is curious to me.

Also, the MX-10 rib on the O/U is slightly taller than the RS rib. You might try it if you want a little more rib but don't want to go all the way to the 2005.

18. Jp2003

Jp2003 TS Member

I've shot an mx2000/3 for about a year now at bunker trap find you have a more heads up position whilst your shooting less stress on your neck muscles too

19. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Avaldes, I don't have a dominant eye. That has always been my problem with shotgunning.

The 10 rib is only slightly taller than the RS rib. It doesn't make enough of a difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
high rib trap gun
high rib trap gun images

high rib trap guns

money maker ribs
shooting high rib trap gun
trap guns
what does a high rib do on a trap gun
what does adding a high rib to a trap gun do