1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High Rib Gun / More eye cross-dominance problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MOP, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOP

MOP Active Member

It does for me.

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

PM sent.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

yes, but I believe you will eventually adjust.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Me three. Tried a Pro-Rib K-80 with negative results. More I shot it -worse it got!!

5. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I'm with the dawg on this one (yeah, I know). The K-80 Trap Special with the Pro-Rib just plain does not work for me at all. Fairly straight targets were OK, but angles, particularly to the left, were jsut about impossible for me to break, which suggests cross-firing. Your mileage may vary...

Jon Reitz

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Mostly you miss the hard angles because of timing differences. Changing guns is a 5000 target learning curve. Yo can essentially buy a new gun in the same family of guns you are used to. Such as Browning or Perazzi. Timing, swing are often similar. But go to a heavier K80 and watch out. Or to a lighter CG or Blazer and you will be back to the 5000 target curve. Add in a faster trigger of a Seitz coupled with the heavy receiver weight and expect to spend some time tracking down targets. So caution when changing guns.

With regard to dominance issues, just do two things. First start the gun a bit under parallel or a bit closer to the house. Secondly, wait for the bird to show up over the bbl before you attempt to concentrate on it. Do not fight to get a concentrated look at it as it comes out of the house. If yo do, you switch eyes immediately. Be at ease out there and yo will have less cross fires.

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

A lot of truth in Jack's comment's. Read it again, I did. Bob

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have the high rib TMX and a conventional rib MX3 Single barrel. I believe the MX3 is more intuitive and I am more likely to crossfire with the TMX. Both guns are the same weight with the same POI and both have a leaf spring trigger. As Jack said, I can shoot better with the TMX because the release trigger is slower. If I can get the trigger on the MX3 tuned to be similar to the TMX, I will be able to answer this question.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I shot Model 12's for years, started shooting Perazzi's and they felt simular to the old Model 12's with the way they fit and swing ... I shot a TM-1 and got reasonably comfortable shooting it, them got a MX-2000 Combo and I was always unsure of the unsingle barrel but really liked the gun overall ... I should of had a top single fitted to it and had a 3 barrel set but I sold it and got a TMX which I like and can shoot it okay but kept thinking about that MX-2000 so I found an MX-8 combo and was going to buy it but a friend of mine back in Chgo told me about a MX2000/8 that was on the board for quite awhile, long story short I bought that and have not been able to shoot it yet because I have been sick (upper respitory infection) ever since I got it ... I will be shooting the gun this week and see if it was all worth it ... This is the top single barrel combo set up ... I like the gun enough that I will force myself to live with it and learn to shoot it or else ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

Try a Champion Easy Hit Shotgun Fiber Optic Front Sight. Solved my crosseye problems

11. Setterman

Does anyone know when Blaser will offer the topsingle barrel?

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yes. My crossfire got started for two reasons. 1) I looked around the bbl (on the left) and 2) I attempted to focus too hard on the streak. Once I figured those traits were the culprit, the scores went North.

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I agree with Jack on both reasons. If my left eye decides to lock on the target I'm in big trouble.

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I thought that Neil and/or someone else proved that gun cant doesn't affect the pattern enough to worry about. I'm left handed shooting a high rib. My lefts are chips and my rights are soot balls. Dave T.

15. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Just my usually unwanted opinion but, I have a feeling that more of us shoot off the end of the gun than we realize. Most of us older guys at least grew up hunting and shooting with guns that didn't even have a rib. If you revert to shooting off the end of the barrel you won't have much luck with the unsingles and super high rib guns and it will seem to make that off side eye want to take over more often. My experience and opinion only.

And I may as well get this off my chest too, I beginning to think that the upright style of shooting has something to do with the non dominant eye problems too, again getting back to how we learned to shoot, mostly crawling the stock with our necks down and forward. No doubt the upright citizens shooting style helps keep you from picking your head up but just maybe it might cause another problem. It did cause one for me for sure, that was I had to really watch it or I would rock back on my heels when going after a hard right and I had to work at being aggressive. Went back to a flat rib and forward crouch and it seems to work better for me, at least for awhile.

16. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Well OK here goes. Much more to my cross-fire than just the rib, but for today I'll keep it short and try to explain the rib/POI for my "issues" with this devil.

The higher the rib, I'm not 100% sure about, but they are my choise right now.

I believe the higher the POI the less I'll cross-fire!!

The high POI, seems to help me with the cross-fire issue I have, (and I think mine is one of the worst). My cross-fire comes almost entirly from not "seeing" the target correctly to start with, or "covering" the target and loosing track of the bird for a split second sometime durring the targets flight and my trigger pull. This can resut into a flinch, worst case being told.

Soo, the more air I keep between the barrel and the bird, the better off I am in the cross-fire issue. Then you simply have to train your brain to hit the angles.

Matt Nicol

17. Setterman

"barrel shooting". The left eye picks up the side of the barrel on a left angle, and you barrel shoot instead of bead shoot.

Unless you lived in Wyoming.....then who knows what your brain is doing!
    (just kidding Matt)

18. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

Read Mia's reply again--

19. Setterman

I disagree. Anyone who knows me has seen me shoot about 5 different guns. A Seitz, Alfermann, SuperX-1, 870, and a Blaser. The only gun I struggle with is the high rib unsingle Blaser, and on a previous thread, many agreed that they could not shoot a high rib unsingle.

For some it is crossfiring/cross dominance, but there are many reasons why the brain and your eyes do weird things with the sight picture on various targets. Concentration should increase success, not hamper it. And if you have to train your self to shoot a certain gun, you'd best sell it, adjust your POI, or get it fit properly.

Either way, it is a non-dominant eye/brain issue, but not necessarliy cross firing.

20. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

I have to agree as well.I shoot a MX-3 and decided to give a DB-81 a try and stuggled and struggled then decided to heck with it and sold it.Went back to the MX-3.Then I got the brainy idea that If I was to put a add-on rib on my MX-3 it would improve my lagging handicap scores as a upright head position should ( my theory) improve my scores.At the same time I bought a higher ribbed Rizzini as to have a back-up gun for my "new" MX-3.I went from AAA to A and never could break a 25 with the Rizzini no matter where I had the rib setting.I shot a old Beretta O/U that a friend was selling (cant remember the model) that predates the 680 its so old.The rib was so low you could hardly tell it had a rib,but the first time I shot it I ran fiftey with it and have now completely washed my hands of any high-ribbed guns no matter how good they feel.This was an expensive lesson as I lost money on the add-on ribs and the Rizzini,but it was a lesson learned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cross dominance rib

does a high rib on a shotgun help with cross eye dominance

high rib shotguns and eye dominance
high rib shotgus eye dominance
high rib skeet guns and eye dominance problems
high rib trap gun cross firing
shooting a high rib shotgun
would a high rib help with cross eye dominance