1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High rib gun for a long neck guy? Recommended?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JeffreyHJanian, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffreyHJanian

JeffreyHJanian TS Member

I have a long neck, not quite a giraffe, but I have to really stretch my neck forward to have a good mount on the comb. It's uncomfortable. To add to it, my sholders drop down far.

I'm thinking a high rib gun may work well for me... (?) My understanging is these guns make for a more upright positon?

These guns are hard to see in person. Lots are for sale, but I thought I'd ask here before I bought one. Most have a 3 day trial period, but I imagine it's a pain to drop thousands of dollars to hold a gun to my face, only to send it back...

On ordinary guns, I've worked with an adjustable comb raised up and an adjustable butt plate moved down, but still have to crane my neck pretty good. Right now in my safe I have my choice of: BT-99 (has asjustale buttplate); Citori Trap; Cynergy Sporting; and a Beretta Teknys trap. None of them are a high rib gun but all of them have adjustable combs.

I've been looking an it seems Ceasar Guerini, Blazer, and Lujic have high rib guns. To me the Guerini looks the best and the Lujic the worst but want one to be easy on my neck more so than beauty. Price is important, but I have four guns under $2,000 each so I'm not sure I'm really saving money by keeping my guns cheap. : )

I've also thought of adding a rib to one of my existing guns but thought it wold look crappy (?)

Any thoughts? Thanks, -Jeff

2. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Jeff,
    Keen sight ribs look factory and run less than $300. Simmons or moneymaker can replace your rib with a fixed one for around $5-600. I'd try the keensights then decide if it works for you and if it does buy a high rib gun.
    Jimmy

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

If you do an add a rib, be prepared to buy longer posts for your adjustable comb. Adding a 1/2" high rib will require an additional 1/2" of comb shims to get the same POI.

4. metal1

metal1 TS Member

same problemwith me i added a keensights rib to a older 101 what a simple fix now the gun is so easy to shoot i`m sold on a high rib gun,jeff

5. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Jeff,

Like you, I have a long neck and have experienced the same problems. Seven months ago I added a Keen Sights rib to my Beretta 391 Teknys along with Graco drop in hardware with high posts for the adjustable comb. My head is erect and scores are noticeably better.

Worked for me,

Chris

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Proper stock adds more height than rib.

7. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

A few years back I was shooting an Etchen 687 trap special. I liked the gun a lot. Then one day I picked up a buddies Perazzi MX-2005. Oh boy was I hooked! The balance and the natural feel of the mount and swing were just right. Not to mention the trigger!

I ended up buying an MX-2000RS and I couldn't be happier. It has been a fantastic gun for me. Unfortunately I haven't been able to shoot as much in the past few years, but when i do my gun still feels like an extension of my body.

I suggest you go to a big shoot an try out some of the guns you are interested in. But a word of caution, be prepared to shell out some bucks! That Perazzi was all I could think of and it was a long 2 months till I had mine.

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

A good adjustable butt holder, combined with a higher rib will give you the it you need---Joe Kuhn is in the same boat as you--he has a Mach one for sale @ $4500./---this is a deal.

Phil Berkowitz

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Shannon has it. I saw a very unusual stock at a shoot once, with much drop at heel and a very high comb (not adjustable) because of it.

Then I saw the shooter, a very tall lad who looked like an Indiana basketball star with a neck like a swan.

He shot the gun pretty good, too.

The custom stock might cost more than a rib and an extra high adjustable comb, but the difference might not be much.

Good luck.

HM

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Buy some balsa wood, some tape and build up a rib to the dimensions you like. Use mole skin on balsa to build up the stock. Once you've got it right, send the dimensions to Keen and have them make an add-on rib. If you like that, send the gun to Moneymaker and have them build a new rib for you. It's a long process, but if you have one of those unusual bodies, it's the only way. None of the factory gun's will fit, regardless of the design.

11. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

A couple of comments...your thoughts that the CG is best and the Ljutic is the worst is not really accurate...at all. I own both. Both are great if set up properly. But the Ljutic is more robust and I would judge the trigger to be slightly better. On the other hand, you can't make the Ljutic into a combo, which may or may not be important. There is another gun that I would check out if you are looking for a single barreled gun: The Kolar T/S, and look at their #4 stock. It may well be just what you need since the drop at the comb is 3.25" vs 2.25" for the CG. Most Ljutics are custom made, so the stock dimensions are not really standardized. And, yes I've owned a T/S as well. If I could have only 1 gun, it would be the Ljutic.

WNCRob

12. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

Jeff I went with CG for similar reasons. I love the high rib and matching stock. The whole CG system is made to accommodate the high rib. See if you can try a friends CG. Great gun.

Mike

13. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Second for the Guerini....

14. JeffreyHJanian

JeffreyHJanian TS Member

I appreciate all the replies.

The balsa wood idea sounds easy. If that helps, I may try out an add on rib.

At the same time I'll look around at the club to see if any high rib guns are around I can try.

Rob: thanks for the comments on the Ljutic. Actually when I said -looks best- I really was talking about it's "looks." But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and probably won't make a gun more comfortable. : )

-Jeff

15. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Could try a BT99 Plus and see how it fits, I really like my wifes, and Ive got one ordered from Monsoors they have the BT99AR, but wont have any 34 inch till some time in July

16. JeffreyHJanian

JeffreyHJanian TS Member

Rob and Roy, and Shannon

The Kolar #4 with the #4 long drop in the stock makes a lot of sense. Shannon I think this was what you were talking about too.

Now I must say, the $12,000 retail price is slightly out of my price range. : ) Are there any other shotguns you can think of with this configuration? I imagine a drop butt plate accomplishes the same thing but a solid wood stock seems it would be more pleasing to the eye. Probably not pleasing enough to me compared to what I can afford, but I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of a less expensive similar solution. (?)

thanks again, -Jeff

17. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Look at the TS. Its a single barreled gun and built like a tank...adjustable rib. May be able to find one used, which should be a fine choice. Next to the Ljutic, probably one of the most robust guns being made today. Very plain receiver, though, but a heck of a gun.

WNCRob

18. slotracer577

slotracer577 TS Member

Just went through this with my wife. she was getting a lot of cheek slap. She has a high cheek bone so to get the right site picture the gun was too high on her shoulder. Taped on some wood for a trial, it worked well, so we had Keens build a 3/4 taller rib, got longer posts for the comb and no more cheek slap. Really a quick, easy and relativly cheap fix. I was not sure how well the glued on rib would work, but it seems pretty solid. Some day we may get the rib permanantly altered, but the ability to turn the gun back to "stock" for sale is pretty appealing.

19. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I vote build your own stock. thats what i had to do in order to find a gun that properly fit. i too have a long neck.
    [​IMG]

20. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

I`ll vote for the CG. breakemall, ML

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
adding wooden rib shotgun

beretta trap guns

high rib shotgun
high ribed lujitc shotgun

keen sight shotgun ribs