1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High rib for sporting??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeetiee, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeetiee

skeetiee Member

I have been looking at a guerini summit trap shotgun. I really like the way they feel. I shoot sporting clays and have always shot a browning xt for the game. I sold the browning as i felt like there was something better out there for me. Whats the general opinion on a high rib shotgun for sporting clays. It seems to me that the high rib keeps my head up and it also helps me from seeing the sides of the over under shotgun barrels. That a problem i have. I have to wear a dot on my glasses so i dont get double vision of the barrels in my sight picture. Anyway why is it a bad idea to shoot a high rib shotgun in sporting clays. I know a lot of folks will say its not good for falling targets but i see just as many rising targets as i do falling. whats your thoughts??Lee

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I've been experimenting with this with mixed results (32" DeVault ribbed 391 Optima barrel, GREAT for Trap AND a 28" DeVault Trap barrel). After about 8000 rounds, I'm beginning to feel that it's a bad idea. The results are as I stated "mixed" without ANY consistancy what so ever. Sometimes really good...other times REALLY bad. Just not the consistancy that I had with a flatter ribbed Sporting barrel. I still have it in "Trap Mode" so it shoots high....but, I don't want to screw with it because I can shoot OK with it for Trap. If I could afford to shoot more, perhaps I would set up 2 guns differently.....but 1 for everything isn't working well for myself.

3. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

just because a gun has a high rib doesnt mean it shoots high, the taper is important as is the stock.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I use my 30" Citori plus for sporting quite a bit and score very well...ran my first 100 straight in sporting with it..those long crossers are dead meat with it

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I shoot my XT very well for sporting but as soon as I put the high rib on it, it just killed the majic.

6. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

50/50 poi and put the shot where it needs to be. Also forget the o/u and shoot one barrel. It is much easier on the wallet and the shoulder. Always fun to mash a few high grade gun toters with a 500.00 auto.

7. Lyle

Lyle Member

I have been shooting an XT for sporting and have the same question about the guerini.......not so much about the high rib, but I am just wondering how the gun swings on targets other than trap targets.

In my opinion a trap gun (XT) works just fine for sporting. Everytime I shoot a round of sporting the resident experts comment on my gun shooting too high for sporting and by the end of the round they usually have zipped their opinion because there are more X's behind my name with the trap gun than behind theirs.

Lyle

8. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Kolar builds a high adjustable rib sporting model (see link above). Bill Malcolm

9. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

skeetie:

Rib height is purely a matter of personal preference. While high ribs first started on trap guns, I see more now used in both skeet and sporting clays. What a high rib does is raise your head/neck to a more erect position, and for many, this provides more comfortable shooting, less fatigue, and a better sight picture (I am one of these). However, others do not like a high rib, or just cannot seem to shoot one well. Rib height per se, as noted, has nothing to do with POI. That is controlled by rib taper, comb height, etc. The best advice, I think, is to try a higher rib and see if you like it and can shoot it well. For this, use your regular shotgun, get a sheet of balsa wood the approriate thickness (rib width), and cut a strip of the height you think you want (1/4, 3/8, or whatever), paint it black, and attach it to your rib with some black electrical tape. Try several different heights for best info. Just remember that you must raise the comb by the same height as the added rib to maintain the same POI. If you find you like this raised rib, and can shoot it well, then either get an add on rib for your current gun, or look for a a new shotgun with rib height to your liking. As I said, it is not for everyone, but for some, it can add greatly to shooting comfort and ability to focus on the target rather than the barrels.

Jim R

10. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

I use my CG Magnus with the 32" O/U for 5 stand, I have not yet had a chance to take it out for a round of regular sporting clays.

For 5 stand I crank the rib up so the gun shoots close to flat - not more than 60/40 - probably about 55/45. I like the high rib because to me I have a more open view of the target than with my Browning Special Sporting Clays.

When I use it for Trap Doubles, I have the rib all the way down so I get close to 100% high, and that thing just flat does a number on em.

I have had my Magnus since Christmas (WOW - what a present from my wife) and I have something like 10000 rounds through it without a hitch.

JB

11. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

can you tell the difference between 60/40 from 55/45, man

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I like shooting my Beretta 682 Gold E O/U for sporting clays. I like the high rib and the gun shots flat with the comb all the way down.

13. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

NO - I can't tell the difference but I know that my gun shoots higher than 50/50 and by the asjustment I make from 50/50 I am sure it is not more than 60/40.

I really doubt that I could tell 50/50 from 70/30 without quite a bit of shooting or some paper.

John

14. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I did use my MX 8 32 inch O/U with Briley Chokes. It shot close to 100% high but I liked it pretty well for SC , I knew where that gun shot. Won B Class at State Shoot in 2007 with it. I did take out the full choke.

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning high rib sporting

high rib for sporting clays
high rib or low rib for sporting clays

high rib shotgun

high rib shotguns

high rib vs low rib for sporting clays

raised rib shotguns
why use a high rib shotgun