1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HIGH RIB - EASIER TO SEE TARGETS???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smp005, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smp005

smp005 Member

I know this has been discussed many times ....

I've made a test add-on rib for my MX2000RS (3/4") to try out. I constantly struggle with seeing the target under different light conditions. I find myself raising the stock higher in my shoulder to make my head more erect - it seems like when I do I can see the targets better.

My comb adjusts up enough to match the 3/4" addition - I'm just wondering what other shooters have experienced.

It seems like the targets tend to "surprise me" when I'm down on the stock locked in. If they don't surprise me they are ink balls, if they do it's a struggle to catch them. When that starts happening, I start jumping on the targets too quickly which just compounds the problem...

Thoughts?

Scott Powell

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I shoot a TMX which used to be considered as a gun with a high rib. I shoot with both eyes open (right handed shooter) but have an occasional not consistent crossfiring problem. If you shoot with one eye or use a Magic Dot patch of tape on your off eye lens, then the high rib will obscure your view a little bit less than a low rib but will still give you a blind spot with the barrel and rib. I follow the D. Lee Braun method of hold points over the trap house to always favor right angle targets and I hold a lower gun because my left eye likes to take over and help out and I don't need that.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

For me it is. My rib is 1 3/8's high. This puts the gun in my shoulder and my eyes forward. Very little tilt on my face. But I have a long face and high cheek bones. Works for me............

4. otnot

otnot Active Member

Scott try calling for the bird with your eyes closed as Phil Kiner suggests to practice locking onto the target. It's really helps you keep your gun still until the target is above your barrel. When you really think about it a singles target can't get out of range so there is no hurry to shoot it.

MikeTMX. I have the same problem with my TMX and had to go back to a low rib which seems to have cured my crossfiring. I have tried other high ribbed guns and my left eye seems to zero in on the barrel instead of the rib.

5. dbl20

dbl20 TS Member

Scott - I’ve made three wooden try ribs of varying heights ( .610”, .5” and .410”) all with .125” tapers. There is no doubt they all help me see targets better, the problem comes with POI changes. If you saw a lot of rib before the add on and very little after, then your gun shoots flatter. Added comb elevation can return your old POI, but I want a more consistent cheek lock which, for me, means seeing a flat rib when I check alignment prior to calling pull. My next modification is to increase rib taper….a work in progress. – Jon Sharp

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

A high rib can be very good for people with long necks. People with short necks are probably not helped much by a high rib.

If you can stand, with your gun down, and look at the trap house and then mount your gun without any head movement, you have the ideal mount. A high rib will help many shooters accomplish this.

Pat Ireland

7. smp005

smp005 Member

Devilsadvocate - you hit it dead on! When I lock in on the comb it's like pulling the brim of my hat over my face. Since I wear prescription glasses, looking thru the center of the lens is definitely optimal.

Pat - Very good point! I cannot! When I mount my gun I must bring my head & face down into the gun - and I find it difficult to do that consistently every time. I shoot a high gun (as close to 100% as I can get it) and hold about 12" over the house. Having to bring my head down is not comfortable either...

I'm going to try my 3/4" rib this weekend. I'm gonna shoot it on the pattern board and then lock the trap straight away and stand on post three until there just ink balls... I hope :)

Devilsadvocate - Do you have the contact information for Scott at Hydeal?

I was at Dawsons this evening and Pat McCarthy mentioned Delrin ribs - does anyone have info on these? I have spoken with Vicki Keen as well - one of these vendors is gonna get an order sooner or later!!

Thanks for the wisdom everyone - I didn't think I was alone on this!!

Scott

8. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Holding the head more erect can be a good thing for some but I tend to raise my head off the stock too much that way. Oh, well.

9. shot410ga

FLAKETM: How can you raise or lift you head when it's already up. That's how I stopped lifting my head. If you've got forward tilt on your face, sooner or later you will start lifting your head to get a better view of the target. Forward tilt on your head restricts your normal vision.

10. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

After talking to Devilsadvocate and getting info on Hydeal,I called Scott Hyde and ordered a rib a wk ago last Fri. I had it cut to my specifications to put on a KS-5 Special. The rib arrived in the mail on the following Monday. Scott was wonderful to work with and the service was great. I also called Graco the previous Thur. and ordered l 3/8 extended posts. They also arrived on Mon. Great service from both companies. I am anxiously awating some decent weather to try it out. Thanks DA---Steve

11. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I also have trouble mounting a gun without moving my head down onto the comb. Lately, here's what I've tried. I am a right-handed shooter.

I face the hold point with both eyes square. I turn my head right, keeping my eyes level, about 15-20 degrees. This gives me a good angle at my cheekbone to mount the comb. I then mount the comb to my cheekbone and the butt to my shoulder, with no head movement, and secure it with a strong grip with the last three fingers of my right hand on the pistol grip.

I feel like I'm able to keep my head more upright and my eyes level. When I have to lock my cheekbone down onto the comb after mounting, I have trouble seeing the bird come out of the house.

Danny

12. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

SHOT410g: Even with a high rib, your cheek needs to be pressed to the comb and that doesn't mean coming forward on the stock. Maybe I'm off base here and just don't understand. But, if I bring the gun to my face--to my cheek bone--my point of impact is dramatically increased, isn't it?

13. shot410ga

FLAKETM: POI only changes if the position of your beads is changed as you look down the rib. Unless of course, that's what your trying to do, in the first place with, an add-on-rib that changes your POI.

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

FLAKETM you need to try one you will find out your wrong . This one is for sale 34 inch full choke up grade wood $7,000.00

15. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

ALF: Beautiful gun. I've owned one. Bought an Olympic rib Ljutic, went to Yakima to be fitted for a stock. Mr. Al had me shoot half a day with a try stock on a standard rib gun and kept telling me to keep my head down. I thought I should have been trying an Olympic rib. But, they only had one try gun. Said to shoot the Olympic rib the same way. Couldn't hit crap with it and sold it seven months later at big loss. My backup now is a TMX Special. I'll try keeping erect and see what happens. Thanks for everybodys input.

16. butcher

butcher Member

I can't see where you can see a target better with a high rib or a low one.If you stand erect with shoulders level and take the gun to your face and have a aim point that allows for quick aqusition the heigth of rib should't make any difference.Especially if you let the target clear your barrel and don't let the barrel go above the target.

When I got the lining up or stacking the beads out of my system and set the POI to shoot where I'm looking and looking above the barrel for the target I began to readily see the targets better.

17. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Devilsadvocate,

Mount your gun as you would for trap, looking in a mirror looking down the rib into the end of the barrel. Your head is most likely turned slightly to the right at least 15-20 degrees. It's almost impossible to correctly mount a shotgun for trap or skeet, with the gun locked into the zygomatic arch, looking down the rib with the right eye, and not have the left eye slightly closer to the target than the right eye.

I'm just pre-positioning my head angle.

Others,

If I'm wrong, and most of the better shooters have both eyes perfectly square to the target, let me know.

Danny

18. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

might just try this

19. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

High ribs shoot lower also much adjustments needed after installation . only to find its no better than lower rib remove and try get your money back Gimmics

Pat Kelley cant stand gimmics anymore , I see very few good shooters using these gimmics plus look at the ugliness it adds to gun ?????????and never any of the top shooters using these gimmics

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.