1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

high rib and upright head

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wlc, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlc

wlc Member

What does a high rib do to promote an upright head position that can't be done with more drop at the heel? It seems that head position is controlled by the relationship between the rib and where the gun hits the shoulder. The height of the rib above the barrel may affect other things, but I don't understand how it changes head position.

2. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

For one thing a lot of drop will kick your face into the next county.

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

There is a lot of talk about getting your head up high, for lack of a better description. It seems to me that one of the goal is to have your head in a position that your eyes are level so that focus is improved. However, part of the positioning must be comfort and how recoil affects your neck and shoulder. I went through the "getting my head high" phase to the extent I added a 1" rib on top of my unsingle barrel. It did not solve the pain and flinch problem. The addition of a PFS and taking the high rib off seems to have solved my flich problem. I have ample adjustment between the butt plate and the comb to get my eyes fairly level without any pain. Therefore, no flinch. It is all about experimentation, not being afraid to make some changes and finding the right position. Just my 2cents.

JON

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Don't quite understand the head up theory with those camel hump stock & bridge ribs.

Rise the mounting shoulder compensates 90% of my "normal" neck length, then I mount my "normal" cheek bone a little forward on the stock gets my eye right on the sight line.

You'll see most Olympic shooters does this,

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

And no elbow up either.

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I think its more eyes level vice head's up Steve. Leaning the head and neck forward as in your pictures is different than tilting the head over to the side.

Guy Babin

6. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

One thing about a HIGH rib is that the distance between the rib and the barrel is a bad disconnect I found that out the hard way, my belief is as I found out is that get a PROFESSIONAL stock made for the gun so when you mount that gun it is right there every time the same place and you're head is not turned the wrong way. You are shooting so you can shoot that shotgun the proper way by fitting it to you and only you, don't try to use someone elses spec'ed out stock or mass produced stock when you are only shooting the gun. ALSO if you cant a high rib gun you will miss the target. I have found that out and when it is apparent you will kick you're self in the rear.NOT saying some of us can not shoot a high rib gun but it is a lot easier to put the money in a stock that you are centered in and looking down the rib.It does'nt matter if it is a TM1 , Bt-99 MX-10 I feel you put the right stock it and you can shoot it.

7. wlc

wlc Member

Thanks for the thoughts, I am shooting a low rib unsingle with a custom stock that has about 3-1/2" drop at the heel and 3/8" offset. This allows me to look out the front of my eys instead of the top like I used to do. I have been curious if there would be an advantage to a higher rib with similar stock dimensions. I shot a MX2005 with a standard right hand stock and didn't see any benefit to the high rib without the additional drop at the heel. Just wondering.

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

mx2005, while is is certainly true that my new Wenig stock fitted by Bill English, has made me love a gun I previously hated. I have to remind you that high-rib guns react to canting just like any other gun. They are no more sensitive to POI shifts due to canting than a low ribbed gun with the same POI.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.