1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High Rib Advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Oscar Ray, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I was thinking of adding a High Rib to my BT-99. Any suggestions on what rib to get and have it installed by whom? This is only my 3rd year of shooting Trap but I love the sport and really like my buddys high rib gun, but want to keep shooting my BT.

Thanks,

Oscar

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Also plan on what you are going to do about raising the comb the same amount as the rib.

3. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

vpr80, Thanks, I had not even given that a thought!

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just another thought-the higher the rib-the shorter LOP, also you may need longer posts & a rollover style comb--alot of factors are codependent-they don't stand alone.

Phil Berkowitz

5. PINOYSHOOTER

PINOYSHOOTER Member

Oscar there is a thread by PSCHU entitled "custom bt99 1 of kind". Nice one for sale. Please take a look.

6. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Pinoyshooter,

I saw that and it is a good looking gun, sort of what I had in mind doing to mine. Not sure I want to buy a new gun, just modify what I have already.

Oscar

7. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

try shooting your buddies gun first. Ribs can be gotten and easily installed.

http://addarib.com/index.htm

I just did my own BT and made my own rib on my friends Mill machine. I had a 3/4 in solid rib and went to a 1 1/4in rib that I milled painted and drilled tapped beads and glued on myself.

The first rib

09newbie_2009_1105101.jpg

The second rib before I cleaned excess silicone off
    09newbie_2009_1105102.jpg

And you will have to jack the comb to keep it level with the rib.

09newbie_2009_1105103.jpg

This gun was finished last week Friday and shot a 47 league on Sunday.

Its fun its different hold on the gun takes getting used to.

Jerry Lewis

8. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Oscar if you buy the different gun and it doesn't work out you still have your old one. If you modify your old gun and it doesn't work out.... guess your gonna be buying a new one.... just saying. By the way that is a nice looking 1 of a kind Bt that's forsale

9. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Oh and make sure to finish the underneath the comb, people will now see lmao!
    09newbie_2009_1105104.jpg

Jerry

10. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

There are several companies who make add on ribs, one's that attach to your existing rib. There are also companies who strip off your rib and reattach a new one built to your specifications. Some ribs are adjustable for poi and some are not, check the advertisers here on TS.com.

The best starting point before you make an investment in a higher rib is to build a mock up. You can build a simple mock up by adding a strip material on top of your existing rib using tape to attach it. The lightest material to work with is balsa wood available at most hobby shops and is available in several lengths and widths. Using a mock up allows you to determine what's the best height for you. I think Keen Sights (www.keensights.com) suggests working up a mock up before ordering from them.

Regarding the comb, you will have to raise the comb in most cases as you inrease rib height. If your raising it a small amount, you can use stick on mole skin, if you need to go higher and don't want to pay for an adjustable comb, there are several manufacturers who make add on products to raise comb height, check out Meadow Ind.(www.meadowindustries.com)

Once you determine your requirements any of the rib makers in the market now all make good products. You have to decide what method of attachment and what material is best for you, once you make this choice it should be easy to select the manufacturer who meets your needs.

Surfer

11. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Jerry

That is a great looking rig you have there, I do not have any kind of access to machines to do that kind of work. I really like how you painted the stock tho, that blue is something else and you have no worries about someone mistaking your gun for theirs.

2500HD

Very good point! I never thought about that, if it doesnt feel right, I would have a hard time getting rid of it or shooting it again.

DO4

Very good suggestion, I will give the balsa wood mock up a try.

I really appreciate all the help and suggestions, there are things mentioned that I never thought of!

Oscar

12. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Oscar:

Check your private messages.

sissy

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Why do you think you need one? If you needed one, you would know.

14. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Dave Berlet (Ohio) made some for me. I shot them well and was very happy with his work.

Terry.

15. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Johnny,

When I shoulder my buddies high rib gun it feels more natural to me, and my head is more upright. On my BT, it seems like I am putting my head down to far and not gettting as good of a focal point. I am sure he will let me shoot a round or 2 with it, so I am gonna give it a try.

Oscar

16. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

I also shoot a very high rib gun. The purpose was to have my head higher.

Good advice above. One thing that has not been mentioned regarding very high ribs is what happens if you have a tendency to "cant" the gun. It seems the affect (results) of "canting" is magnified with the higher ribs so you may want to take that into consideration.

doc

17. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

My bt with high rib and custom do-it-yourself stock
    berettayounggun_2008_0303160.jpg

berettayounggun_2008_0303161.jpg

berettayounggun_2008_0303162.jpg

18. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

I had a high rib on my XT Trap and took it off, before adding that to the gun my scores in singles and caps were in the middle to upper 90's, after that the scores were in the low 80's, needless to say the rib came off and the scores are back up again. The moral of the story is that a high rib is not neccessarily a ticket to higher scores, and like you this I am a relatively new trap shooter. Woody Sullivan

19. thunder

thunder Active Member

The other item that you should add to the stock is a adjustable butt plate. When you raise the comb really high, you should have adjustment on the pad for higher/lower pad placement. That is why a PFS works so well for fit on about any gun.

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Pretty soon you guys will be shooting from the hip, even though your head is still on the stock. Man those are set high. Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.