1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High Rib Advantages??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HotRodA10, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Hello all, it's me again with another post. I know I have a few posts on this site but I'm like a sponge and I want to soak up as much info as I can to try and improve my game. I know that practice is the main key, but I also know there are a few equipment improvements that help as well.

I know that most (I think) trap shooters prefer a high-ribbed gun. This obviously has some advantages for shooting trap. I've noticed that some very well known skeet shooters are moving to high-ribbed guns (relatively speaking) so, my question is; is there an advantage for shooting a higher-ribbed gun for skeet?

Rod

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'd say the advantage for skeet shooters would be the same as a Trap shooter. The biggest advantage is not having to look around the barrel.

3. Gunnerx11

Gunnerx11 TS Member

It all depends on the shooter and his DNA. Not all shooters benefit from a
    high rib. In time the low rib will reappear and be the rave on the circuit.

I prefer the low rib.

Gunnerx11

4. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Rod, (Gidday Matt).

My wife has just had a Bridge-Shoot (Italian) 20mm high add on Rib to her MX8-SC3, She loves the way she now shoots in a "Heads-up" stance.

The rib cost $500 Aussie, a lot cheaper than a new Perazzi high rib barrel, very light weight and only 5-10 minutes for me to install, also very well made.
    check out www.bridgeshoot.net

She went from low "B" class to high "A" class in 3 short weekends.
    The Perazzi used to be mine but not anymore she has claimed it.

Regards, Release Trigger.....Gary Downunder.

5. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

This brings up a question I have been thinking about. If I put a 1" higher rib on, then raise the comb the same amount, The sight picture should stay the same even though my cheek and head are 1" higher, right???? My thinking IS, it should still look the same. I started shooting with a field stocked 870, went to a BT 99 when I got serious about this game. Then after that stock broke I got a new Monte Carlo one for the 99. I'm still "hunching" down on the stock to get a good sight picture. I wear bifocal glasses and try not to wear a ballcap but there are times when I NEED the cap to shade my eyes. This leaves a very short window from top to bottom to see the targets because I look through the top or long distance part of my glasses. Blended lenses are not an option! I just could never get used to them! Suggestions please! dave

6. grntitan

Gidday Gary.

You probably just got off work tomorrow(isn't it like 3:30pm there?). Drink a Fosters for me and tell all your mates i said hey. Hope all is well in Sydney. :D

Matt

7. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

nsguy.

Not so you are in a much more upright position and looking around the width of the rib 6-10mm rather than the width of the two barrels.

The existing rib on my wifes gun is 5 mm above the barrel so she has to look around the width of the barrel to best see the target as it comes out.

Now with her head and rib 25mm above the barrel she can see the target much earlier and clearer, probably not for everyone (including me) but it sure works for her.

Release Trigger..............Gary.

8. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Matt,

Will have the Fosters this weekend (Family having BAR-B-QUE for my birthday) you are spot on with the time 3.45pm Wednesday arvo, I am actually home crook with a Kidney infection, better get of the Puta before the boss gets home.

Have a great winter keep well and all the best for the surgery.

Gary.

9. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

In the Texas summertime with a mid to high rib you don't have a problem with heat waves obscuring your view of the target. If not for that I probably would shoot a low rib; God gave us two eyes to see around the barrel. AJ

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Dave... not trying to be a smart-aleck, but why not use a single vision lens for distance to open up your field of vision... you shouldn't need the bifocal on the trap line...

Jay

11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Neck back strain! With an upright head you are also looking through the center of the eye sockets which reduces a lot of eye related shooting problems.
    Joe goldberg

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Around 1983 the late great Frank Little began shooting a Perazzi TM-X-the one with the high rib. We couldn't get enough of 'em in and they sold like hot cakes. It wasn't long before they started coming back for anything with a standard rib because plenty of shooters couldn't handle 'em!!

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have a TMX and a conventional rib MX3 Single barrel and I admit the MX3 is more intuitive to point. I think the secret of the head up gun mount is serious drop at the heel of the stock but when I drop the recoil pad too much I will get that kick/up effect because of simple geometry where the center of the bore of the barrel is too high relative to my shoulder pocket. This problem can be solved with a high rib but I think I get a visual dis-connect when the rib is too far away from the barrel, like I said the conventional rib is more intuitive to point.

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I would think for skeet shooting there would be no advantage at all for a high rib. High house it won't hurt, but I wouldn't want an extra high rib for the low house. Then again everybody's hold points at each station are different.

High ribs are easier to clean with ported barrels though.

Wayne

15. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

spitter... thanks for pointing out another option. dave

16. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

<blockquote><I>This brings up a question I have been thinking about. If I put a 1" higher rib on, then raise the comb the same amount, The sight picture should stay the same even though my cheek and head are 1" higher, right????</I></blockquote>
    Dave,<br/>This is not exactly true. By raising the rib and comb, you put your head in a more upright position. This has the added affect of rotating your head more vertical. This is a good thing.

However, this movement has also inadvertently changed your anchor point. Most of us use the cheek bone to anchor our cheek on the stock. Since the cheek bone is not straight, rotating your head back a little has altered the distance between your eye and the rib. This in turn alters the POI.

So, the sight picture and POI will change a little. How much can only be told at the patterning board.

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Some people may disagree. But a person who I respect as a prmiere gun fitter , told me the " the higer the rib, the shorter the LOP.

So, when you raise the rib, something else falls into the fitting equation.

Phil Berkowitz

18. Portigee Duckman

Portigee Duckman TS Member

Hot Rod , I put a Keen Sight on a 3" mod 12 Duck Gun because ,I started wearing
    RX glasses .Even thou , it is only 5/16 high ,it alows me to better focus on
    the target without the frames geting in the way.....hope this helps

19. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Thank you for the input from everyone. These postings have raised a few questions. With the stock and low rib I currently use (no raised comb), I do have a slight cant which sounds like I'll need to address with an adjustable butt plate if I go with a higher rib. It also sounds like a higher rib affects the POI (which I know nothing about), and the LOP.

Now for the questions:
    1) How is the POI affected: up, down, left, or right?
    2) Why is the LOP affected?
    3) Should I first get a stock with an adjustable comb before I add the higher rib?
    4) What would the max rib height be that I should use for skeet?

Rod

20. grntitan

The Rib height has nothing to do with LOP(length of pull). I see no way it could change the LOP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

advantages of high rib shotgun

disadvantage of high rib for skeet

disadvantages of a high rib trapgun

sight rib avantage

what is the advantage of a high rib on a trap gun