1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High Primers on PW??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

After several years of putting up with high primers on once-fired Remington hulls using my PW, I'm looking for a non-MEC soultion that supports the base when the primer is being inserted. I've adjusted my PW just fine and I use either Cheddite or Win209 primers. Reliability is very important. Recommendations, please.

Many thanks.

WNCRob

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Hornady 366 is maybe your only non-mec choice. Spolar is out, dunno about the Dillon.

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I load Remington STS 20 gauge hulls with Cheddite primers on my P/W 800 Plus. I get some high primers with once fired hulls but they always come out flush on the second reload.

Be sure that the hull is seated fully on the first station. The hull should be inserted until the rim seats in the recess, not just flush with the bottom of the shell holder.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

4. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

What are the "issues", if any, with the Hornady reloader. Comparisons to the PW 800+?

Thanks.

WNCRob

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I think that is just an issue with once fired Remington STS or Nitro 27 hulls. I have the same problem with my Dillon's. Those hulls require a second tap to seat the primer. On the second reload the primer goes in like grease. They may have a tapered hole and it takes a little extra bump to seat a straight side Cheddite primer. Maybe the Primer Guru's can answer the question.

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

It is so aggravating I don't load Rem hulls anymore. Rem wants us to use their expensive primers which is the only one that matches the primer pocket of their hulls.

Have Rem primers always been shaped as they are now?

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

creeker, you can't close the gun with a primer 1/16" high. It either seats when you close it or the brass goes concave and fireforms when the gun is fired.

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Not only is leaving 1/16" out a bad idea, but eventually you are going to see some extra wear at the primer pocket area on the receiver.

I reload only once-fired Nitro's exclusively for handicap practice and use Federal, old and new style AA, and Remington primers. I do not have a problem on either my Spolar or P/W with any of them.

WW

9. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Whiz,

The apparent cure is to use Remington primers...or get a different machine which will fully seat a non-Remington primer in a once-fired Remington hull. Right? Rems cost about $30 more than Win209's and $52 more than Cheddites.
    Live and learn.

WNCRob

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"It is so aggravating I don't load Rem hulls anymore. Rem wants us to use their expensive primers which is the only one that matches the primer pocket of their hulls."

Well I am not sure of it but I doubt very much that the manufacturer is going to redesign their primers and shells. At least not to make John Q Reloader happy about reloading their products.

I pay a little more for their Primers but at least I can find data on the loads and the Primers fit perfectly. Which is more than I can say for the cheap brands.

Bob Lawless

11. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

I reload Remington STS exclusively on my Spolar and use whatevers cheepest for primers.,
    I very rarely have a primer height you could catch your finger nail on.

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

creeker says;
    "There is no problem closing my guns,what so ever and as far as the guns wearing out, none of us are going to live that long."
    You may not live very long if you keep seating the primers with your gun.

Whiz, If you mean you are just using Rem primers in in the stated hulls of course you won't have trouble. But if you are using non Rem primers in Rem hulls there is no way around having trouble. About 10% of the time , or more, the primer will not seat flush. STS, Nitro, or Gun Club doesn't make any difference. Since Win was the standard for so long, I have to think that PW loaders were designed around Win products with no regard to Rem products.

ivanhoe , I asked the question wondering if Rem primers have always been shaped the way they are or have they been changed along the way. If they have always been that way, well, that is just the way it is. I wouldn't expect Rem to make any changes to accommodate me, but I would expect quite the opposite.

Unknown1, I think what we need is a primer knock-out pin that swages the primer pocket as it deprimes, eliminating the flange in the bottom of the Rem primer pocket. The pin could have a bevel that eliminates the flange near the end of the stroke after it decaps. *hint* maybe some interested party with a fancy lathe could produce such an item.

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Remington primers must have different prices through out the country.

Here in Central Iowa the prices are:

Remington = $29.40 per 1,000

Winchester = $34.35 per 1,000

Federal = $36.50 per 1,000

CCI = $36.50 per 1,000 for both 209 and 209M

I use Winchester in STS Nitro's with no problems, even in the first reload with a 800+.

14. ivanhoe

Jerry I have been loading Remington hull since the early 70's and if you think the STS/Nitro's are bad you should have loaded the RXP's and the Premier's. They make STS type look good.

I have still never loaded anything that gets the number of loads that the STS type get and they are still one piece hulls. The ALL Americans by Remington's were two piece and I had some trouble with them. I swore off using two piece hulls and I still don't.

BTW the right number drill and bit and brace might help the primer pocket. It wouldn't take much to make the pocket a tad longer. Just a thought

Bob Lawless

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Unknown1, You seem to clearly understand the issue. How is it possible that some can never see this problem using a PW?

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

ivanhoe, I once loaded some old Rem hulls, I don't remember the type, that weren't one- piece. Premier??? A washer shaped piece of plastic came out of the base and lodged in my barrel. It was about 1/16" thick, white with a hole in the center for the primer. I always look before dropping a shell into the chamber or I wouldn't have seen it. It would have probably blown on through but who knows.

The drill idea would work but it's just easier to load AA's. AA's split and Rem hulls pucker up and turn black up at the crimp end . Take ur pick.

17. ivanhoe

"I once loaded some old Rem hulls, I don't remember the type, that weren't one- piece. Premier???"

Not Premiers sounds like All Americans they had a white or grey base wad.

Bob Lawless

18. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Creeker,
    You are going to wear a grove in the press plate if you leave that primer hanging out. I have never, ever heard of this problem. I think that I spoke to you once before when you said you were "slamming" the machine back to seat the prime. The Spolar is strong enough to press the primer into a Remington once fired hull.
    Call and talk to Carter 800-227-9667 so he can figure out what is going on with your press.
    Dicksie

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Unknown1 , I meant the latter , others.

Dicksie, Apparently you don't understand the problem. A PW press also has plenty of leverage to seat a primer. Problem is a non Rem primer is blocked by a ridge in the bottom of the primer pocket of a Rem hull. If extra pressure is applied the brass base may become concave and primer will still not be fully seated. So, it isn't possible to adjust the press for this problem. It won't happen on all Rem hulls, maybe 10%. Just enough to be aggravating. Rem primer and primer pocket design is exclusive.

20. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I use all different primers in my Nitro hulls with NO problems. You may have a bent seating post that doesn't center on the primer.

As far as wearing out the receiver slamming the gun shut with primers sticking out... I disagree that you won't live long enough-a foolish remark. Evidentally, you've not shot much, because I have seen it many times.

Take a look around at the shops that preform the rebuilding of the primer pocket areas. That ought to tell you something.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

high primers in remington sts hulls