1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High pressure/speed vs. Low pressure/speed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta Young Gun, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Here is my thread comparing high speed/pressure vs. Low speed/pressure effects on a hull

Conditions:1 1/8 #7.5, Fiocchi primer, DR windjammer replacement.

Low pressure/speed: 20.5gr 800x/5400 psi/1100fps

High pressure/speed: 28gr 800x/10,300psi/1400fps

Mec 9000H reloader. All powder charges were hand weighed.

Ljutic Mid Rib, .740 bore. 705 choke. Release trigger.

Chronograph calibrated using 2 brand new Remington nitro pheasant(1410, 1404) and 2 brand new fed. Gold medal ultra lites(1110, 1106)

LP=low pressure/speed. HP=high pressure/speed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

Nice work --very interesting

3. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I agree - very interesting - hope you put this together in a book form so it can be distributed as a PDF file for all of us who are interested. I would pay for it frankly. Great work!

4. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Really interesting. Thanks for the work...and thanks for posting.

5. Beretta Young Gun

This will be my last test. I do not enjoy being called a liar by a certain group of individuals to lazy to do the tests for themselves. peoples actually have the nerve to call me a liar when they are to lazy to do the testing for themselves. BYG

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I for one enjoy your tests. I know they are a lot of work and take considerable time.

In light of yor last post I think it would be appropriate to reveal the names of the violators of your integrity.

Thanks again for yor work

Jim

7. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

What was your original hypothesis?

What did the results tell you about that?

or was that a previous thread?

Nothing tells you more than doing the work and getting the answers yourself.

I had done quite a bit on pistol reloading; not truely original but certainly unknown by most, and I benefited greatly. Sure beats heresay.

Gives you the confidence you need, does for me

thanks

8. Straight50

Straight50 Member

BYG, thanks for all the work and posting the pictures and results. I found it very interesting!

9. Beretta Young Gun

Bruce Em, I really believed the high pressure shells would give way long before the low pressure. But, it would appear that low pressure reloads are just a detrimental to hulls as high pressure.

Now there may be a different result using a different kind of hull. For example a gold medal may not hold up to high pressure as well as these AA's. BYG

10. Straight50

Straight50 Member

What I found interesting was the drop in velocity between the two loads. Using load ten as a comparison point, the slower recipe only dropped 15 fps from the fastest of the slower recipe (1107) to 1092. In contrast the faster load dropped from 1410fps to 1359fps or a drop of 51fps. Both hulls were starting to look pretty ratty by load ten, but the faster load hull was looking worse in my opinion. A lot of folks say 50fps difference can't be detected by an average shooter, but then a lot of folks say they can tell the difference in performance. I guess its one of those things that is an individuals perception.
    Anyway thanks again for the test results.

11. Beretta Young Gun

Straight50, you are definatly right about the velocity differences in the 2 hulls. I guess I was looking more at the condition of the hull and how they hold up against the vastly different pressures. I really expected the high pressure hull would be totally destroyed by the 5th reload. I did notice that from the start the low pressure hull was nocticably "dirtier" both in the residue in the barrel and the black residue on the hull itselfs especiall on reloads 1-5.

I will also say 50fps is very noticable to me at least. I shoot a lot of protection/buddy shoots with my dad. So you really pay very close attention to the target to see if it breaks or not. Depending on where we shoot, dad bounces between 2 3/4 dram(1150) and 3 dram(1200) shells. I can visually notice a difference in the speed of the shells, especially when he shoots one speed on one post and a different shell on the next post. BYG

12. Powderkeg

Powderkeg TS Member

I have been reading your threads and found them to be very interesting. I don't know who bad mouthed you or your test, but that is why I hardly ever respond on this sight. I enjoy this sight on the most part, but there are some folks on here that get off on putting others down. I assume it makes them feel superior.

Thank you for your efforts.

Noel

13. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Chart removed to prevent false conclusions from being drawn.

14. Beretta Young Gun

Avaldes, everything always comes together when you put the data on a graph. Nice work as always. BYG

15. illtrap1

illtrap1 Member

Primers make a difference in shells too,I Chronod win,fed,Rio's win varied more than the other 2 in my Ohler,Never shot them over and over just shot new hulls one time five of the same loads with Solo 1000,Like fed Rio's better. Solo has high pressure psi but it is light on recoil,High pressure doesn't always mean more recoil.

16. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

Beretta Young Gun , this has been the most important and Interesting topic that has been on TS.com for a while....

I really looked forward to seeing your results and stayed tuned looking for the next batch of experiments with different powders and the such...

I realise that you did this experiment out of your own pocket I might add for our benifit...

I hope that you do continue to bring valueable info like this to the site...

Don't let the a$$holes of the world deter you from this valued experiment info which benifits all..

It is so easy to do nothing and Complain about what others are trying to find out..

Maybe the Bum was pissed because he didn't come up with the idea..

Keep up the good work, hope you continue,

Robert

( Newfoundlander )

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I think you have done a great service to everyone on this site. Don't be deterred by the BOZO'S. Keep up the good work. And what I found interesting is that the AA's, contrary to a lot of opinions, held up well. Personally, I would have trashed them when they got the first pin holes (#7 or 8), and just started to loose velocity, but that is my system.

18. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I for one want to say thanks to BYG for taking it to the next level. I do agree with him on the comments there can be some that tear you down but 99% of the replies are good. I know when I posted my results there were several pm's from people that just didnt want to post in the general forum. Those are the reasons we all do it! Lots of good peeps here IMO.

19. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Ladies,

Nobody is tearing anyone down. I mentioned only that his velocities were a work of fiction. I complimented him on his test, although the test appeals only to cheapskates, and those trying to blow up their guns.

20. wlc

wlc Member

Thanks for the time and effort required for these tests. I found them to be very interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

high speed low pressure