1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High POI terminology ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hwy13, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello,

I don't want to hi-jack DR. Longshots thread, but you'al have got me
    wondering if I am using the correct terms when talking about POI

If your shotgun has a 30 inch pattern and you set this 30 inch circle
    on top of the front bead you have raised the pattern 50 %

hwy13_2010_20083.jpg

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

If I am not mistaken, your top image is 50/50 and the bottom one is 100% high where the whole 30" shot pattern is ABOVE the point of aim. 100% high is also sometimes referred to as 15" high. Using that notation, every 3" up is approx 10% higher from 50% up to 100% high.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . which is just another reason to banish percents ( when talking about POI) from our language and our thinking.

hwy13. Your point-of-impact is 15 inches above your point of aim. What could be simpler, more direct, and easy to understand?

No one counts the pellets which would make the percent nonsense at least intellectually defensible. Instead they see a distance, count three inches as ten percent (which is not faintly true, of course) and then tell us a percent high when if they had just told us the distance we might have believed that they actually tested it.

When I hear a POI described in terms of percent high I generally assume it's never been tested but is just a way for the speaker to announce that he is serious about this stuff and can talk trap with the best of them.

Neil

4. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Thanks for the quick reply fellows, good information, your response
    is easy to follow, makes sense to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.