1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High Hold Points

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Question about gun hold points above the house; I'm playing with using higher hold points than what I'm used to here.......

Let's take the standard, post one hold on the left corner, post three in the middle & post five hold on the right corner. Holding right down on the front edge of the roof dosen't work very well for me as I seem to mis-read the straightaways. Seems to help if I hold a foot or so above the front edge and then don't try to see the target until it gets above the barrel. Now here's my question, assuming you hold a little higher if the targets are flying high do you also make your horizontal hold points wider and by the same token if the targets are a little low so you hold lower (closer to the roof) do you also pull your hold points in a little horizontally(closer to the middle)?

John C. Saubak

2. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

On station 3 I watch the targets before me and I hold just below where I see them clearly and focuse on a branch or something an works for me

3. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

Luckily, I've had only minor issues from 1 & 5. But I fought and fought #3 for the longest time. It had to be hold point (in my mind anyway). I was dead center on the house at the front roof line. So I simply, but extensively moved hold points around looking for that spot that felt right while also crushing targets. I too started higher, but it seemed to make my misses worse and more frequent.

I started by making big moves around and once I found something close, started making the minor adjustments.

I ended up with a low and left hold point. Bottom of the house and about a foot in from the left front corner (I'm a south paw shooter). I don't know if this means I was over swinging the birds or what but I haven't dropped a target there for quite a while now. Just an FYI, the rest of my hold points are pretty conventional, meaning top of house using the corners (maybe a little left).

I just needed to make a drastic change on that one post.

Dunno if it'll help ya at all, but I thought I'd share my similar experience. I guess the moral of the story is: Try, try, try.......SUCCESS!!!!!!! Best of luck in your quest.

Gene

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I have converted to a high hold point, based on a lesson from Daro. It creates a less violent move to the bird, less chasing, and a more subtle move. I hold about a foot over the front of the house at 16 yards and a little less at handicap. I also hold about a foot outside the house on 1 & 5. I broke 25 the first time a tried it, so something must make sense. Now what I have to work on is not pulling the trigger as soon as I see the bird, if I'm not on the bird, and letting my gun move to the target smoothly. Don't you just love this game! Mark

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

John, most successful one eyed shooters hold a low gun either down on the house or a little over it. If you try to hold a high gun with one eye you will get a blind spot from your barrel and forend. I compromise a bit by using the D. Lee Braun Jim Forsbach gun holds as shown on Whiz Whites website but I am a two eyed shooter.

6. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

I just ran across this.....Thought it was pertinant.

Enjoy.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

All of the really good shooters that I know start their guns fairly high. But just because it works for them doesn't mean that is right for everyone.

Phil Kiner's advice to me on this subject was to experiment with the starting position of the gun until you find a 'sweet spot' which just works better for you. Beyond that, don't get real fixated with that starting point, be willing to adjust as conditions dictate. Weather, lighting and background all play into this.

I like to watch a trap a little bit before I shoot on it to determine the point where I can see a whole target (not a streak) and then what approximate point I want to break the target. I will then start the gun about 1/3 the way between these points and adjust somewhat as I go if I think it is necessary.

8. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

John I have shot a high gun most of my shooting life. When they call for a bird to see I mark about half the height where the bird peaks and that is where I hold. I am a two eyed shooter. A high gun shooter will make you lazy as you don't move your gun very far except on the hard angles. My hold points are the same as if you hold on the house. You just have to try different things to find what works the best for you. Holding a high gun a lot of the time I don't move my gun more than 10 inches to break the bird.

Dave

9. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Get a copy of Harlen Campbell's instructional tape(s), and then take one of his clinics, if possible. I moved from sporting clays to trap two years ago, and it saved me at least two years of grief. Shooting a high gun is so natural if you will trust your eye and brain to make the correct lateral movement. As some of the other posters have indicated, finding the right focus point is the key to success. A trailing wind with resulting diving targets was the toughest for me to master. Just keep at it and it will make you a beter shooter.

Smoke 'em all!

10. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

One eyed shooter = low hold point at front edge of house. A little below front edge for caps.

blade819

11. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I was watching Jack Bart as he was shooting to see where the POI was on a gun I bought. And I noted he was holding well above where I hold and when I asked him, he said "I hold where I am going to break the bird." The only gun movement I saw was lateral.
    I'm going to start trying that with the new gun he sold me... A CG Maxum 34" unsingle Trap:)

12. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

John ,
    I know you are a long time shooter and appreciate that you are willing to try something to improve your shooting.

I am kind of in the same boat as you.
    I have always chased the targets up and left and right, which seemed to work when I was younger with better eyesight and smoother reflexes.
    I was also shooting flat shooting guns like the Model 12.

I can see that with higher shooting guns it would be a lot simpler and efficent
    to hold a more level gun and just have to make a lateral movement to the target.
    This is what I am currently experimenting with.

Just need to learn where I need to find my start point for each station.

Looking forward to reading of your results as you move forward.

ed.

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Ed,

So far, so good. FWIW I'm holding about (at least) one foot above the front edge of the roof, directly above the corners on 1 & 5, above the center on post 3 and halfway between on 2 & 4. I've also raised my comb 1/16th". Shot four rounds of practice on thursday, 23, 24, 25, 25. Plan to shoot some practice again tomorrow so we'll see if the good luck sticks?

I think the "younger, better eyesight......" thing has a lot to do with it, I've been trapshooting over ten years and holding on the middle of the roof and chasing the targets got me to the 23.5 and teetering the line between class A & B in singles but the last year or so both my 64 year old eyesight and my trap scores have deteriorated. I've been REALLY inconsistent on hard left on one and hard rights on five, think it's been a vision thing, like didn't see it right away and then "Oh $hit, there it goes" and then a panicy out'a control move!

Anyway..........looked like I'd reached the point where I could stay in my comfort zone and continue on a slow decline or try something different and hopefully take it to the next level, nothing ventured nothing gained?

John C. Saubak

14. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I started using a high holding point just yesterday for the first time. I like it. Had the best score I have had in a while. Biggest issues were the hard R&Ls but I think practice will help that. I was holding with the gun about level.

15. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Red just look where you want the shot to go for the right and left targets. If you look at the target you will shoot behind them.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.