1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High Gun Hold Points

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by turbobike, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbobike

turbobike Member

Where do you high gun, two eyed shooters hold the gun on certain stations, where are you looking...I'm ok on station 3,4,5...my left picks up the bird up and I smoke the target. It station 1 and 2 that I'm uncertain about....

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

This is my LH rendition of Harlan Campbell. He only speaks for himself tho.
    mia_2008_0303664.jpg

3. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Take a look at the Gun Holds and Eye Focus pdf on Whiz White's site. Hit the link above.

4. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I've never seen Harlan Campbell's nor MIA's chart before, but that arc in the points is almost exactly what I do. I find if I creep up on 1 & 5 it puts most of my (very few....:) misses on hard angles a tad high and outside.

I do hold even closer to the corners, though. The issue for me is, "do I hold outside so I can catch a hard andgle faster," or "do I hold closer to center so as not to overswing the near straightaways." I'ts a compromise, but the surprise straightaway is more of a challenge for me than the hard angles.

It also keeps me from rolling my shoulder on hard rights....
    emot87.gif

5. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

A high hold point has been working real well for me in the last couple of years. the urge to rush the shot and shoot over the bird is the only related problem that I have had with it. Wait until you clearly see the bird before gun movement. I look at the birds, pre-squad before I decide how high to hold.Some days the wind. or trap adjustment dictates the hold height. I just try to find a spot where gun movement is at a minimum without holding to high to track the bird. jmho Bill Wheeler

Garyd thanked this.
  6. bigben

bigben Active Member

Great question! try holding over post 2 when shooting post 1, hold over 1 1/2 or post 2 shooting post 2 gives you gun speed, and that[s a good thing! incinerate em!

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Never saw Whiz's page before but that info is just about as close as possible for my R. handed hold points.......breakemall

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Bob: Where have you been ... sipping too much of that lager?! LOL

Hey, Happy New Year to you and the wife.

Whiz

9. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

++++I was always told to hold your focus centered over the bead. I notice that the Rem hold points don't do that. Is that not a problem?.......SMOKIT

10. turbobike

turbobike Member

Those Damn Rolling shoulders do me in every time....I'm having my barrel ported to compensate for my shoulder issue. The data feed-back from the strain gauge and accelerometer has identified the correct amount of porting off-set required. You would be amazed at the compensation forced generated!

11. dkarre

dkarre TS Member

Im starting to hold a higher gun in singles and it seems to be helping me quite a bit but when I go to shoot handicaps from the 25 I drop my hold point down and I feel like im "stabbing" at the targets. If I raise my hold point Im shooting over the top... my question is what do you guys do for long yardage handicaps when it comes to hold points?

12. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Hold the same as 16yd. Don't move your gun when the target first appears. Wait until the target gets over your rib then move to the target.

Michael Stephenson

AA-27-AA

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Learn how to read the trap, it makes shooting those straight aways alot easier. HMB

14. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

I was going to ask the same question. That link is great. I am new to 2 eye shooting and have tons of trouble on 1&2 myself.

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
does high gun hold work for trap
gun holds whiz white

high gun hold for trap

hold point in trap
hold points for senior trap
holding a high gun when shooting handicap trap

whiz white gun holds

whiz whites gun hold points