1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High End Trap Guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Westie, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westie

Westie Member

Can somebody tell a Newbie why higher end trap guns are heavier than entry level guns? Are Parazzis as heavey as K guns? Got used to shooting my BT99, and expensive guns seem a great deal heavier. Heard that heavier makes you swing with the target better. Thanks.

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Heavier guns do not kick as hard. Many of the upscale guns are built for 100's of thousands of rounds, so the metal is a little more robust. Most trap guns have a little longer barrels and a little more massive stocks, these things all add weight. Except for when you are on the line a trap gun usually sits on a rack, you really do not carry it much, like you would pheasant hunting. My trap O/U is pretty heavy but I have a lighter field gun for when I am hunting all day.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Heavier hurts less, recoil wise. I don't know about swinging to the target better, however. Perazzis and K-80s weight just about the same, but swinging the K-80 feels like swinging a log to me. The Perazzi moves much better. I have a Perazzi, because I like it better. I have friends who swear their K-80 better suit their move to the target.

Try shooting them all yourself, and make up your own mind. That's what I did.

4. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Heavier will generally help with felt recoil, but where that weight is concetrated will affect swing and follow through. Like many, my first dedicated trap gun was a BT-99. It kicked!! It also was so light foreward that it was too easy to jump at targets. The gun would move so quickly that I would get too far ahead of targets and have to stop the gun. LOST!! Adding weight to the stock only will help recoil but will not help the swing/pointing abilities/follow through. A barrel weight may help. Guns that are heavier in front compared to a BT-99 (most everthing) will afford a smoother swing. But for everyone there is a limit.

For forty years I have had a bad case of gun-itus. There is always another gun calling to me. I feel I have finally found a cure for this. Basic economics, can no longer afford to buy one of everything. Try as many as you can before buying and then buy the right one for you and stick with it.

Good shooting, Marc

5. Westie

Westie Member

Thank you all for the great information. All makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

high end trap guns

high end trap guns names
high end trap shot guns
high end trap shotguns

high-end shotguns for trap shooting for sale

list high end trap shotgun
trap shooting guns high end
trap shot guns high end