1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High end guns & barrel work?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 635 G, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Wondering how many of you Perazzi, Kolar & Kriegoff owners have had to have your barrels done over by barrel smiths. Never hear of a Bowen, Alfermann, Mach One or an Infinity ever needing a tune.

Lou

2. missed some

missed some TS Member

I know guys with bowens who have wilkinson work on em.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I do know Bruce Bowen will not trade for one of his guns with barrel modifications unless he puts on a new barrel . As for ALfermann they have a very different barrel then most with a long long choke .

ALF

4. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I know many hi end shooters have had barrel work done by Allor, Wilkenson or Heritage. A friend has a Bowen that shoots a 17" pattern at 32 yards. Bowen told him if any body touched the barrel his warranty was void. What do you think that does for his 16 avg.? Look at Tom Wilkenson's list of AA shooters, some of them are shooting Bowens. Seitz now offers Wilkenson tubes. My TMX & MX-10 barrels have all been tuned. I have noticed significant felt recoil reduction and extremely even patterns. I went up 3 targets on my average when I had my TMX tuned.

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

John I could not agree more .. About five years ago I bought a Silver Seitz 34 inch . It shot a 20 inch pattern at 36 yards so I sent it to Wilkinson . The difference was amazing now it shoots a good 30 inch pattern and has less recoil .

ALF

6. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

I spoke with Stu Wright at legnth concerning the need for barrel work on my Kolar .750 bore barrels. He said that there wasn't anything to be done to that barrel to improve it. He did say that the chokes could be improved and I am trying a couple of his out. I haven't noticed any differnec between the new chokes and the factory chokes as of yet, but I haven't shot them very much yet or patterned them. Rick Gibbs

7. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

when i started shooting the barrel guru was herb orre. i had one of his tricked out barrels and it was no different from anything else. it's all hype-save your money.

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

fearless So nothing has changed in 40 years ??

ALF

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

For the guys claiming such tight patterns with a Bowen, what is the choke restriction on a Bowen? These claims are way over 100%.

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

JerryP My Bowen shot very tight (never put it on paper) it had .035 choke . But I do know it was not a 17 inch pattern more like 30 inch .

ALF

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Lou, my last set of Perazzi barrels were straight factory and they patterned and performed so well there was just no way they would ever need "tuning". I miss those barrels. My replacement set (used) did not perform nearly as well, and I was very unhappy. I went back and forth thinking should I spend $1100 to get the three barrels corrected, or should I palm them off on someone who would not know the difference.

I elected to have them tuned. I sent them to Kerry Allor. I'll simply say he worked magic on them. All three are outstanding, but one of them is, well, unbelievable. I'm still wondering how he did it.

Bottom line- don't mess with an already good barrel. If you're stuck with a bad barrel, $350-$400 fixes it, assuming you want to keep it.

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Sportshot,

You seem to bash clinics and barrel work as over priced and insignificant. What kind of averages do you carry to beg the differ?

13. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

How about low end guns and barrel work??? I have shot the same gun for 14 years a browning combo. After years of putting in par handicap scores and always puzzled at some of my handicap hits I gave my gun [single barrel] to Kerry Allor. With one goal to put as many pellets as possible in handicap. When I got the gun back and shot it, I was surprised at the results. There was with out a doubt less felt recoil, and this gun has never hit targets so hard as it does now. Started shooting it this spring, and at the largest shoot I compete at during the year I won non-res handicap champion and HAA runner-up. Two things I have NEVER done before. Am I sold, yes. Is it in my head, no. Can I still miss, yes. But having the pattern and pellet count I have now helps my targeting computer very much.

GS

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My Seitz has Tom Wilkinson Barrell work and it patterns magnificently. It also has Soft Touch stock.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

midalake, How hard it breaks the targets is highly subjective along with recoil. What was the PE pecentage increase after the barrel work was done?

Dr Longshot, what was your increase in PE?

16. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

too bad that perazzi and remington don't know how to "tune" thier barrels.

17. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Eyster increased the pattern percentage by 7% @ on my MX-8 @ 42 yards, and then tuned a choke tube for 16's as well that shot 93% @ 33 yards. Both with specific shells. Yes it can be done. Wilkinson can do the same thing. Some barrels take less work than others. Face it, quality control out of factory will not compare to individual quality control. Bowens are known for that kind of quality, but he produces far fewer guns than Perazzi. Why do you think Bowens cost what they do?

18. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Although I believe barrel smiths do a great service to the industry, I've patterned my Kolar a reasonable amount, and it patterns just the way I want it with my shells. Kolar takes great pride in their barrels and it shows.

19. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Jerry P not sure what you mean by PE increase. I agree many things are subjective, one may not know changes that happen over short time frames. But
    I have shot this gun for 14 years with just about every shell/powder/wad combo you can imagine. Their has never been as many effective pellets in my pattern at any point. I have not even tried other shell combo's yet. The work I had done was the whole barrel from forcing cone to end. Barrel to .765 [I think] with a .036 choke.

GS

20. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Fearlessfain-

It's not that they don't know now to "tune" barrels they are into mass production.

As an example, think of all the great engines that were built from the factory. GM - 283,302, 327, 350, 396, 409, 427, 454, 502 ect. ect. Ford and Chysler the same. All of these great engines could be improved on by blueprinting, it's the same with barrels. There are very few masters out there such as Orr, Seitz, Allor, Eyster, and Wilkinson, but they can perform magic.

Tom Strunk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.