1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High-End 1911's 45 acp ????????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by deercreek, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

High-End 1911

I am afraid this will turn out like asking 7 1/2 or 8's.

I am trying to help a buddy out on a handgun purchase. He wants a nice, high end 1911. Money is not really an object but does not want to go overboard unnecessarly also. He really is not looking towards a Springfield Kimber, or Colt in price from 1000-1600 range.

He seems more interested in a Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Ed Brown, or Nighthawk. Looking for some info from owners of these and your opinions. Price range anywhere in 2000.00-3500.00 new retail. He wants this to be a one-time 1911 purchase that will be for a lifetime or what he has left and then to "hand-down" to his kid someday. He really has no interest in all the aftermarket gunsmithing and that is why he is willing to spend that money up front for that work to be done at the factory. Primarily for use in places like "Front-Sight" training facility, personal protection and the occasional recreational shooting session.

Thanks in advance for any info....

2. deercreek

High-End 1911

I am afraid this will turn out like asking 7 1/2 or 8's.

I am trying to help a buddy out on a handgun purchase. He wants a nice, high end 1911. Money is not really an object but does not want to go overboard unnecessarly also. He really is not looking towards a Springfield Kimber, or Colt in price from 1000-1600 range.

He seems more interested in a Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Ed Brown, or Nighthawk. Looking for some info from owners of these and your opinions. Price range anywhere in 2000.00-3500.00 new retail. He wants this to be a one-time 1911 purchase that will be for a lifetime or what he has left and then to "hand-down" to his kid someday. He really has no interest in all the aftermarket gunsmithing and that is why he is willing to spend that money up front for that work to be done at the factory. Primarily for use in places like "Front-Sight" training facility, personal protection and the occasional recreational shooting session.

Thanks in advance for any info....

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have two new Les Baers- sent you a pm

One is a monolith 45

Second is a Monolith Heavyweight

Both have a 5 month wait times if you ordered them now

These are Illinois guns (which are the more desireable ones)

Either one $1777.77 shipped to an FFL

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I can think of three options... in no particular order.

One would be Jim Garthwaite - does phenomenal guns, but are pricey.

Next would be Ross Carter - who visits here (I think I got the name right).

Third would be Mike Greenblatt - PerazziBigBore

5. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

For the $ U mentioned can buy an awfully good Springfield
    with all whistles & bells and probably have as accurate piece
    as will get from some of the hi dollar guys. Also Clark in
    La does some fine work. Have a couple Clark upgrades and are
    excellent.

Doyal

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

what makes an Illinois gun more valuable than an Iowa gun? I've met Les, seen his operation and don't think his methods or processes deteriorated with a simple move.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Well he is in a better state now- Iowa

I dont know what makes them better- probably myth-- but that is what people say

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. busstuf

busstuf Member

I own Baers, Browns and Wilsons.They are all great semi custom handguns. The styles are all similar on 1911's, just different options. If it were me I would buy a centennial version since next yr marks the 100 yr anniversary. Go to the 1911forum.com website and gain some knowledge.
    Tom Foley

9. BarryA

BarryA Member

PM sent

10. oz

oz Active Member

when I wanted to buy my 1911 I asked my friend who is a custom gunsmith. He said you can't beat springfield for the money. I got a stainless 5" with the loaded feature and I love it. oz

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I would call almost any of the custom guys mentioned so far and state your end use with them.
    For a self defense gun you need reliable, accurate not fancy.

PS also a 1911 for a carry gun with a very light trigger is not so good.

My recomendation is the S&W 1911 performance center model or the new pro series
    out of the box ready to go.

12. new loader

new loader Member

I have Colt National Match made 1968, has NM in serial number. Minty condition. $1200 shipped.

13. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

Look for anything built by Richard Heine. He's a one man shop who takes his time. He is not cheap but his quality is the highest. I understand he is not accepting any new orders but he may have something on the shelf. Dick is the originator of the "Single Stack Classic" match. He knows his way around a 1911 frame. That's for sure!

John Semprini

14. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I've owned both a Les Bauer and Heinie. Both terrific
    guns but on paper they didn't group any better than a
    $850.00 Springfield or Smith & Wesson.

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

HSLDS.. Thanks for the kind words.. but.. there is only 1 answer here.. ROSS CARTER.. Ross has been very kind mentoring me..but in my lifetime.. I will not know what Ross has forgetten,when it comes to 1911's..

16. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

PBB,

Anytime. I have both a Garthwiate 1911, and Garthwaite Kahr 9, as well as an EGW 1911 - all three are sweet as can be.

Have been meaning to send my Para P-12 to Ross for a good 'going over.' It is the gun I keep locked in the car safe much of the time, so it should be turned into my most reliable arm... I love the small size and the 12 shot capacity - just seams to defy the logic of 'size.'

Merry Christmas to your bride, and Happy Hanukah to you, still waiting to see you in Italy.

David Delacato

17. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Wow I feel slighted I have a Kimber Grand Raptor 2 in 45acp that I shoot IDPA and Steel Challenge with and I absolutely love the gun. Why does you buddy think he needs to spend $3k? Does he really think a firearm such as a Kimber is a cheapo low quality firearm? I'm just really trying to understand the reasoning here. I've also got a STI GrandMaster in 9mm major and it's of course an open class gun it rocks, it's bad fast, it looks like something from outer space and ya it's a butt load of money. Maybe he should look at the STI line they make some fantastic guns and they are right in good old Texas!

18. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I have no dog in this fight.. I own a few I've built that shoot ragged holes in the hands of a real shooter.. That is NOT me.. The knowledge to get there is compliments of Ross Carter.. While I'm sure there are others that can do equally as well.. I know Ross and his attention to detail... Very few mass produced guns.. if any.. will hold to the tolorances.. that Ross puts into a gun.. you're speaking of 100/150 man hours.. There is no other way to get there.. All Good.. Mike BTW HSLDS..Jan. 15-25 Some time in the middle.. I'll be at the factory..Will you be over there???

19. deercreek

Chipmaker,

I did not badmouth or degrade Kimber's. Simply stated that he was not interested in those and this being America one has a choice of what he wants to buy and the amount of money he wants to spend. Sorry if you were unnecessarily offended.

20. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

PBB

I'll be in Sorrento then...

You'd be welcome to come south.

Milan is February for me...

David D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best high end 1911

best high-end 1911