1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

High costs of registered shoots

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trap41, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trap41

trap41 TS Member

To whom it may concern,

How can a family man ever afford this sport anymore?

I hate the fact that the Grand American Trap Shoot has moved to a State where the majority of its people dislike shooters.

I heard it said that the World Shooting Complex sits on land that is not owned by the ATA but by the state of Illinois……well the ATA may have sold its soul if this is true.

What we need is a new way to shoot trap competitively and affordably.

Yours Truly

A hard working middle class American Trap Shooter, that desires his family to be more involved in the sport, without losing the Ponderosa.

P.S. I left out pissed.

2. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

How can a family man ever afford this sport anymore?

It is getting difficult but we're hanging in. My son and I shoot practice and registered events. I reload and to keep event costs to a reasonable amount I would only shoot one event over the weekend, either the singles or the handicap. My son is a sub-jnr and he shoots for 1/2 price so I would sign him up for singles and handicap with the occasional doubles thrown in. We shoot both PITA and ATA and he also shoots SCTP so we have a pretty full event calendar.

Cutting back on shooting is a double edged sword. On one hand you can save a few bucks but on the other hand the repetition of constant practice and events keeps your game edged. I have improved my scores over the shoot year and this past weekend found myself in AA class due to an overzealous handicapper. My average is borderline C/B but I have a couple of high scores recently so they bumped me up. I can shoot a competitive score in C and B but no way can i compete in AA unless I shoot a LOT. That's the real cost of cutting back on shooting - you want to win, you gotta shoot a LOT, you want to advance, you gotta shoot more than a LOT. You want to shoot for fun then 3-4 rounds per week should fit the bill.

And if you think it's expensive now, just wait a little bit, the cost of ammo is going through the roof as we speak.

3. trap41

trap41 TS Member

It's a government conspiracy and the antigunners are behind it, I just know it.

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Trap 41 -

I'm pretty sure you're just trolling, but in the event that you aren't I'll try to address some of your points.

- The Grand has not moved to a state where a majority of people dislike shooters. While it is true that there some politicians, primarily from the Chigago area, that are anti-gun, I don't believe it's accurate to say the majority of people (residents) dislike shooters. On the contrary, the majority of state residents are not anti-gun, as the state of Illinois is primarily rural and residents of those areas are not anti-gun.
    - You might be interested to know that a large part of the land in Vandalia where the Grand was held for 82 years was not owned by the ATA. That's why we don't shoot in Vandalia any longer, the airport decided they wanted to use their land for development instead of leasing it to the ATA.

The cost of living isn't high - but the cost of enjoying it is!

Scott

5. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

You ask, "How can a family man ever afford this sport anymore?"

Get a second job if you can't make your bills, or work overtime. Have a garage sale.

Trap has always been expensive. It's nothing new.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Where have you been, none of this just happened yesterday ... The ATA had no choice but to accept the offer from the State of Illinois if there was to be a continuation of the Grand after burning bridges with others that were interested at one time, that being primarily Amarillo, Texas ... The Amarillo deal was not given the consideration it deserved in a lot of peoples opinion but thats another story or subject from the past that is best to let die ... The Sportmen in the State of Illinois are not anti gun, the majority of the Political clowns (Elected Officials) from the Democratic Organization from the Chicago and cirrounding areas are and that does impact the rest of the state to a degree but not totally ... If it was not for the WSC there would be no Grand American as it stands today and a lot of people are not happy about that which reflects in the attendance ... The cost of everything is escalating and there is nothing to change that in sight, so get used to it ... Be more selective when choosing the shoots you will and will not attend and plan well in advance just in case, or shoot more practice ... There are a of of people who have cut back on shooting for one reason or another and thats not the worst thing that could happen and who knows that the future may bring ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Trap41, you gotta get over the move to Sparta and you really should have been more aware to the fact the ATA did not own most of Vandalia and that the ATA was kicked out of there.

What exactly would you do to make registered shooting more affordable?? Who are you not going to pay?? The cashier perhaps, or maybe the pullers and loaders, perhaps the power company or the tax man or the insurance policies?? Better yet, don't pay for the targets, garbage collection, or club grounds and trap maintenance. You are angry but you certainly don't know anything about running a trap club or a shoot.

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Refrain from dinning out, bottled water, store coffees and lotto tickets and buy all your family clothing from clean garage sales, cancel cable and get rid of cell phones, encourage the boy to secure a summer job and let him kick in some for expenses {won't hurt a thing}. Make your own shot or seek out one that does.

This just scratches the surface on ways to cut back. Tune in next week for more tips on how to shoot for less.

9. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Go union!I am retiring in 11 months and a week.I will be forty two years old with my 20 and out from the Teamsters.I will start receiving 62,500 a year and receive a 4 percent increase every year until I top off at 76,500.The early out comes from foresight of myself and the membership to roll some wages increases into the pension fund.No benefits for the early out,but I will get my wifes.Also this is a fully funded liability with guaranteed funds also protected by A.R.I.S.A.....Don.. Teamsters Local 701

10. smartass

smartass TS Member

Trap expensive- bullshit. Just give me one example of manly sports that aren't as expensive or more so. Note the word "manly", that excludes bowling, marbles, etc. Just be thankful it's as affordable as it is. If it's too expensive for you winers, just stop doing it and sit around a bitch for the rest of your miserable lives.

11. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

If you think that registered trap shooting is expensive, you should attend a few of the bigger registered sporting clays and/or FITASC tournaments. Costs often exceed $1 per target, and that's just the target cost. The cost of registering the targets, cost of shells, lodging, travel, etc is all in addition to the target costs. How many trap shooters would pay $1 or MORE per target to shoot trap targets? Not many!

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have figured out a way to save some shooting money. I shoot registered targets at least 10-12 days a month and have cut way back on my practice shooting.

This will work for me until November/December but by then it is getting a little cool to shoot a lot. But, in January, things start again with the Dixie Grand.

Some might say my life is a little out of balance.

Pat Ireland

13. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

KS5 you can actually retire on $62,500? Thats only 22K above poverty level! By the time you reach 60 years of age ( factoring inflation and cost of living adjustments)you will be looking for a part-time job! Go Teamsters!!

Rick

P.S. It's ERISA coverage not ARISA

14. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Trap 41,

Registered shooting has always been expensive.
    If registered doesn't fit your budget, shoot non registered targets for less.

Perhaps you could find some other activity that your family can participate in.

I can tell you that registered shooting doesn't fit well in most retirement budgets either.

ed.

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Quit trapshooting for a year. Get a boat. You will come back with a flat wallet and tears in your eyes.

HM

16. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

You have to make a choice that fits your budget, I have for one had to cut way back from previous years.

Ronbo

17. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Registered skeet shoots are getting pricey as well with the average cost per gauge being $50 plus fees and before any options. If you shoot doubles that's 2 nights in a motel, plus food, etc.

I am just being more selective in the reg shoots that I attend. Honestly, I have more fun on Sat mornings and Wed nights just shooting with the guys.

18. rwm12

rwm12 Member

10 CENT TARGETS - July 8, 2007 - Vincennes, Indiana - Registered l00 Doubles, singles and handicap targets plus ATA and State daily fees. Vincennes Gun Club.

19. rwm12

rwm12 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.