1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HIGH BIRDS--ONE EYE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SMOKEIT, May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Most of the one eyed shooters (I shoot with a dot on left lens)I know hold directly on the house or front lip. Do you still hold there for high birds or do you hold over the house--if so --how much?..Thanks Smokit

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Smokit, The reason for the low hold with one eye is to see the bird exit the house. I use the same hold when the birds are high also. Bill

3. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Bill has it right. Same hold, just make sure you finish a little stronger on that rising target.

GS

4. SMOKEIT

Seems like I have a lot of gun travel on high birds. I shoot a heavy gun--11 1/2 lbs. I tried holding about 1 foot over house one round and hit them pretty good. I was surprised that I could see many birds leave the house--not those directly under the receiver. Do any of you hold on the roof but move your eyes higher for high birds?...

5. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

It is possible to hold way high above the horizontal when shooting 1 eye. You look at the lip or just very slightly above the lip. On post 3,the gun & hand block the target. Try holding slighly right of center to uncover the spot where the bird emerges. The critical thing to see the bird as soon as it shows itself and the allow the brain to know the direction of the target.

6. claykiller

claykiller Member

Smokit:

High birds, low birds, for the one eyed shooter is irrelevant. Our hold positions (on the top of the trap house) remain unchanged on singles and handicap. As a one eyed shooter we're bird chasers anyway so gun movement is irrelevant as well. When shooting on a windy day I've noticed the two eyed shooters are sitting in the club house or getting annihilated by the one eyed shooters. The rest of the comments on this post are right on, we do not have the luxury of a high gun position like the two eyed shooter. Do that and the one eyed shooter creates a serious blind spot for themselves. Additionally, don't look at the bead, look to the left or to the right (depending on what post) at the top of the trap house. The key is to see the bird exit the house, track it with your eye, and let the gun follow. When you see the proper bird/bead relationship, pull the trigger. New techniques will not just magically take place, they take time to engrain so be patient. Watch out when taking tips and lessons from a two eyed shooter that does not understand the different techniques a one eyed shooter must use can be a serious detriment to your shooting scores.

Happy shooting.

7. claykiller

claykiller Member

Smokit:

High birds, low birds, for the one eyed shooter is irrelevant. Our hold positions (on the top of the trap house) remain unchanged on singles and handicap. As a one eyed shooter we're bird chasers anyway so gun movement is irrelevant as well. When shooting on a windy day I've noticed the two eyed shooters are sitting in the club house or getting annihilated by the one eyed shooters. The rest of the comments on this post are right on, we do not have the luxury of a high gun position like the two eyed shooter. Do that and the one eyed shooter creates a serious blind spot for themselves. Additionally, don't look at the bead, look to the left or to the right (depending on what post) at the top of the trap house. The key is to see the bird exit the house, track it with your eye, and let the gun follow. When you see the proper bird/bead relationship, pull the trigger. New techniques will not just magically take place, they take time to engrain so be patient. Watch out when taking tips and lessons from a two eyed shooter that does not understand the different techniques a one eyed shooter must use can be a serious detriment to your shooting scores.

Happy shooting.

8. claykiller

claykiller Member

Smokit:

Happy shooting.

9. claykiller

claykiller Member

Smokit:

Happy shooting.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I hold the same gun when the wind is blowing the birds high. Where I shoot, the wind never seems to be constant. If I anticipate a high bird, the wind will frequently trick me with a low bird.

Pat Ireland

11. James L Balog

James L Balog Member

i dont understand why everyone insists one eyes shooters cant hold a high gun, i shoot one eyed, i hold well over the trap house and shoot a very high poi ive never had any problems at all

12. maka

maka Member

So on station one with a Pat Trap which consistantlt throughs extremine hard lefts and club does not get it; where do one eye shooters hold?

13. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Britt holds right on the house in handicap

14. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

ive seen 2 trains of thought here. hold lower to get gun moving fster for follow thru, and the othr thought of holding so that the gun movement is about the same (in height) to all birds. If it's a wind issue you can not afford to hold extra high because of the occasional low bird. If the birds are just set higher on a particular trap, I might hold just a few inches above the house, depending on how my breaks are. Read your breaks andmake your adjustments accordingly. I start withe top edge of the house and work from there. Remember, you have to see it to hit it.

Bob w

15. SMOKEIT

My problem seems to be that if I hold on lip and shoot the bird fairly quickly there is no problem. If for whatever reason I don't hit it quickly and the bird is really high when I shoot it I feel like I have so much gun inertia and movement that it is hard to control. I think I shoot over high birds but I am not sure. I appreciate the information I am receiving on this thread...SMOKIT

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

James L Balog- I am pleased to learn that you have "never had any problems at all." I have had many problems.

Pat Ireland

17. JLSIMON

JLSIMON Member

I agree with Mr. Balogs assessment. Just because conventional wisdom says if you are one-eyed you have to start on the trap house doesn't mean it's the best move for everybody. Just like everything else in this game, different things work better for some people. If you watch the corners for the correct
    height for current conditions so the barrel doesn't hide the bird coming out a higher gun can certainly be used by one eyed shooters. Mr. Balog has the averages to back that up. It may not be for everyone, but never say never unless you've tried it.

YMMV,

Jim

18. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Hold points are a very personal thing.. I'm with NXSER on his thoughts.. My lower hold point helps me develop a powerful approach to the target... and quickly.. That alone will be most useful when you get to doubles.. or longer yardage.. It also allows less time for wind to play with the targets..

If you ever get to bunker trap.. you'll not need to relearn how to shoot.. Your style will stay the same.. only your speed will change..

With a 11 pound shotgun.. you'll need alot of upper body strength to swing it all day long.. American trapshooting is survival of the fittest.. Older shooters usually lighten things up a little bit to stay in the game.. Remember.. you not only need to catch the target.. you'll often need to pass it.. A dynamic shotgun shot by an agressive shooter usually yields excellent results.. You'll need to move.. and the gun needs to move.. If you fail that very simple principal.. you'll be inback of..or under the target..

All Good.. One eyed shooter.. Mike

19. Matt Colman

Matt Colman Member

I am a true one eyed shooter, left eye closed. I hold a fairly high gun with a high POI, to compensate for blind spots i hold off to the side of the house. The most important thing is to take all the information you can find and use what fits you best and produces the best return. 95.75% singles, 26 yds (i just took a reduction)

Shoot well Matt

20. SMOKEIT

I have been shooting practice while holding about 1 ft over the house. I just wait for bird to clear barrel then go after it. It is working better that I thought it would. Lots of 23 and 24's a few 25's. i think I will keep trying this for a while....SMOKIT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.