1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hig ribs / add-on ribs ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Unknown1, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Got to thinking about trying to fabricate an add-on rib for an XT and came up with a question about the design...

On a trap gun there is a convergent angle between the rib and the bore so the gun shoots to a point above the line of sight. Regarding a fixed rib... logic says that a high rib has to be set at a greater angle to the bore than a low rib if the shot cluster and the shooter's line of sight are to cross at the same distance from the muzzle in both guns.

That suggests that the higher the rib the more critical it is that the shooter fire at the target when it's at the distance the rib is set for: shoot too early and the shot is low, shoot to late and the shot is high.

Right or wrong, and what's the distance that most fixed ribs are designed to zero at?

2. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Do you actually shoot an aimed shot? While I agree that the angle is important, I doubt if its actually crucial. Heck, after my setup, my awareness of the bbl is way in the periphery. What if you eliminated hte mid-bead? Then, all that matters is the terminal bead.

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Jan 29, 1998
    The first thing you need to know is what point of impact do you want and at what distance.

I choose 30-35 yards to set up my POI, and at that distance I want it to shoot 18" inches high, as the target is still rising, and it has not reached it's peak.

I just finished the stock on my most recent project of adding a Poly Choke fixed rib set up to my dimensions.

1st the factory rib shot 55/45 nearly dead on, I wanted it to shoot a full pattern high.

So I had the rib set at .700 at the rear and .250 at the front, and had beads installed in the same place in distance as the factory rib.

I then built my comb up and sanded and fitted it to my sight picture, and had it painted and clear coated.

After having it dry and set up, I proceeded to the pattern board and patterned the gun, and it shot at my design POI which is 18" high which is the same POI my Silver Seitz shot.

Now Poly Choke ribs are less than 1/2 the cost of a Moneymaker or Simmons Fixed rib. And Poly Choke will make the rib to your specs, I happened across them by accident.

You can get your dimensions very easy with a piece of Balso wood and Black Plastic tape.

And going to a pattern board patterning it and then try some targets and watch your targets breaking, smoking the target is what you want at the distance you want to shoot.

Now measure that height at the rear, now this is the taper you want.

Lets say it is .250 lets say the base of the rib is .125 now add .250 + .125 and you have .375 at rear and .125 at the front for a .250 taper.

When you attach the new rib adjust your comb to get sight picture with taller pins, adding Bondo, Make a new comb Etc. for your sight picture.

The cost of my new rib was about $255 with sights and bonding adhesive and instructions of installing it.And I had holes drilled for additional securing measures and included shipping.

Moneymaker and Simmons wanted approx $450-600 for a new rib installation.

You can see the rib installation and finished project on a different post.

Gary Bryant
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.