1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HID headlites

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by grunt, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Anyone install the plug/play HID headlight kits in their car or truck?

2. Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew

Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew TS Member

If these are the ones that look blue from a distance, they are illegal in Maryland unless the car came with them from the factory.

3. grunt

They do have some that look blue. It depends on what you select power wise.

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I put them in my Suburban, but I also made a relay setup to make all 4 lights light up when on bright. You can buy the kit at most auto parts stores like Checker, NAPA, etc.

I took the HID's out because the in-town folks were always flashing me thinking I had my brights one, when I was only using the dims. The Sub just sits in the garage, so I rarely drive it.

The HID's are definitely bright. I pobably should have installed the Euro headlight style reflector or the Projector style with these HID's. They are very easy to install.

I installed 80W and 100W (replaces the 55W dims) in my Silverado pickup that is used often for long distance driving on the Interstate. Around here with the deer, mountain lions, pheasant, grouse, coons, etc., I like having the lights bright running down I90 and they don't seem to bother anyone.

The easiest and cheapest modification would be the simple relay the turns on all 4 lights when in the bright mode.

IMHO

WW

5. Bubba

Bubba Member

I put a set on my GM SUV. I selected the low beam 9006 in 6000K for the color, 5000K is brightest white, 6K a very slight blue. Higher than 6K the more blue and the less real light. I got a set that came with relays, so I run them off the battery instead of the OEM wiring. They were plug and play. I don't get flashed by oncoming drivers, but that will depend on how your headlights are aimed. I was so satisfied with the kit, I then got the HID fog lights also.My source was an Ebay vendor with very good seller feedback.

If you have a vehicle with Daytime Running Lights, you will probably need a DRL killer, or the HID bulbs will burn out quickly.

Another option is the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra bulbs. They sell for ~$50.00 for a pair of bulbs. You can get them in both low and high beam bulbs. Pep Boys have them on sale often.

6. grunt

7. whiz white

Bubba: Email me on which seller on eBay you got ours from. I may want to try a set of his.

My light are, incidentally, adjusted correctly. I was so concerned about all the flashing, I had the GM dealer check my aiming and they said they were fine.

Whiz

8. jimx200

jimx200 Member

While those lights give you better vision at night, many times they completely blind the oncoming car. People comeing at me with those bights get it back at them. Not a fan.

9. magnumthunder

magnumthunder Member

I agree with jim! They suck and should be outlawed!

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

They hurt my eyes both daytime and nighttime. At night sometimes I have to use my brights just to see a little bit of the white lines on the edges of the road. I hate 'em.

11. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

If you are going to use HID lighting on the front of your vehicle, (or any lighting above 60 Watts), you should use E-Code headlighting. E-code headlighting is the European standard where the low beams are cut off so as not to shine light into the eyes of the on-coming traffic. Simply installing high powered lights into the standard DOT headlight reflector is asking for trouble. Also, e-code headlights might be illegal in your state.

Other issues, high wattage bulbs require larger wiring to deal with higher currents. Relays are often used to shorten the wiring. They also don't last as long due to higher heat from the increased wattage.

If I'm not mistaken, most of the standard HID headlights that come from auto manufacturers are limited to 60watts, the only difference from halogen bulbs is the color temperature - hence they are not really brighter they just look that way.

My suggestion is if you really need more light on the front of your car/truck, install a set of driving lights. I know some folks that have used aircraft landing lights for brights in 4-headlight systems. It works, but if you don't pay attention to the wiring you can burn it out.

Mike

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I think the things should be outlawed because when an oncomming vehicles have them I cannot see and they look like they have their bright lights on, so I turn on my high beams to counter them ... If it wasn't against the law, I'd be shooting them out ... I hate the things and feel all they can do is cause accidents ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Another option is shown above. Our minivan has terrible headlights. I recently had them fixed so that I have an additional toggle to keep the low beams on even when I switch to high beams. I would be very nervous about using after market brighter bulbs fearing damage to the computer that controls the lighting in the vehicle.

14. whiz white

Here's a diagram for a relay for all 4 lights on a Chevy...

[​IMG]

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.