1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hickory Gun Stocks

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by K005, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K005

K005 Member

I always liked the look of hickory, but never saw or heard of any shotgun stocks made of hickory wood. Are there any reasons for this?

Bob K.

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you. Hickory is a strong wood fo anything you need it for.

3. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Forget about hickory. It will continue to warp,and twist long after you think it is completely dry. Bad choice

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Hmmm, hope my new rustic hickory kitchen doesn't warp. I hate it when dishes roll out of the shelves.

5. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

There are so many other great choices for gun stocks.
    Most species of Rose Woods like Pau Ferro, Cocobolo, Goncalo Alves
    Bocote and even Wenge are good choices.
    American Alder, Maple and Ash are also excellent and less expensive.
    Walnut has always been my favorite simply because I prefer darker toned wood and I build many custom bass guitars from it.
    They are 100% correct about the Hickory, no matter how well its kiln dried, its unstable and tends to move. Its grain is horrible to work with for finishing.

6. K005

K005 Member

Thanks for the replies. I have hickory floor and kitchen cabinets - no problems there. Gun stocks must be different. I also have a few custom duck calls and nobody makes hickory calls either. Nice looking wood though.

Bob K.

7. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

That wood is amazing. In the spring the bark will come off like a banana peel and it'll split four ways. And out of the blue it will crack and explode like a 30/30 just went off, scares the hell out of ya if your near by. Around these parts we call hickory all nighters. Stuff one big piece into a wood stove and she'll burn all night long. But no not good for gun stocks. Dave T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
hickory for gun stock

hickory for gun stocks

hickory for gunstocks

hickory gun stocks

hickory rifle stock

trap shooting gun stocks

were gun stocks ever been made of hickory