1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hiccups with 90T

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1moreround, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

1rst: Shot a friends 90T on the weekend for the first time and liked it so much I bought a very clean high ribbed model today. With the gun on Sunday within the first 2 rounds I had 2 faliure to fires, and 1 today with my new/used gun. The primers are dented only slightly,and will fire the second time they are hit from the same gun..The firing pin looks fine to my eye,with only slight flattening on the very tip, but wondered if anyone could help shed some light on what might be wrong.

#2:
    The cocking lever is dead center in the middle of the tang on the 90T. With the guns I am more familiar with, it is desirable to see them more over to the right side. Is this the case with the 90T?

#3:
    How available are parts for these guns? Thank you in advance.. Ernie

2. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

You need a new hammer spring. Mine did it to me one time, I called Kolar and talked to Doug. He was right. $5.00 back then.

OB

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Ernie,

Just send it to the guru of all things 90T, Doug Braker. He goes by "Gun Dr" on this site. He's the absolute best person to give your new pride and joy a proper tune up and ready for the next 50,000 rounds.

ec90t

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Ernie: Doug Braker, aka as the Gun DR on this site, is the guy to contact. ( 218-947-3600 ) Ed

5. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Were you shooting Gun Clubs ? Had the same thing happen to a squad mate. Turns out that some Gun Clubs or (coulda been a different factory shell did the same thing) had primers set too low ??

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Top lever should be to the right of center. Doug Dr Guns the man to fix you up.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

They are all probably correct about the spring and Doug is the right guy but if you are using Nobel primers????? Could be it. Happens to me all the time

8. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

Thank you all for your help. Makes perfect sense that the hammer spring is indeed weak. The problem is getting the receiver into the US to have any work done. Shipping a barrel, gun stocks, triggers, not a problem, or at least so far...They will not allow a receiver to go over. Numrichs will not even ship a firing pin spring or the like into Canada b/c of the laws...Someone had mentioned that Kolar does a decent job on having a pull converted to release, which I need done....Have you ever watched anybody flinch 23/25, you should see how professionally I can flinch. It's not a fun thing to watch. Does Doug do triggers as well??

9. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

The hulls I am using are GM's gently stuffed with flush cheddites . I have zero problems with any of my other guns shooting my loads. I'll get it dialed in yet. I really love this new gun. For those people that think having a barrel guru such as Allor or Wilkinson perform their magic as it is a waste of money, they couldn't help but appreciate how soft this gun shoots and see the ink ball it leaves in the sky...Allor installed thin walled Brileys and worked the barrel...once again hats off to Kerry!

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

You should call or email Mr. Braker to confirm but I don't think he builds release triggers.

11. NintyT

NintyT Member

Doug Braker does do release triggers. I just sent a pull to be converted by him last week.

As for your failure to fire, you might also want to check the firing pin return spring. There is a very light spring in front of the firing pin, and I have had two of these break in the past. The broken parts tend to get in the way, and occasionaly impede the forward strike of the firing pin. Very easy to replace. Just remove the side plates, knock out the pin that runs through the receiver just below the level of the firing pin. The hammer spring is not a big deal to replace either, but it's a bit harder to describe the process.

Good luck. It's a fine gun.

12. TRAPSHOOTING90T

TRAPSHOOTING90T TS Member

First Doug is the master of the 90T and does releases for them.One thing that I have seen happen on a 90T is if someone has had the firing pin out they may have accidentally slide the firing pin thru the side of the spring. Which will slow the firing pin momentum.You can check the freedom of the firing pin by pulling off the side plates. Then pushing on the firing pin to see if it moves freely.Warning either remove the trigger or be careful not to set off the trigger.It would have to be cocked to get access to the firing pin.

Roger

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Yes, a batch of bad Gun Clubs is lurking out there, and I have an occasional Estate with a hard primer too. About 1 in 200 or so.

I will replace the hammer spring if my reloads have misfires on Remington primers.

HM

14. 1moreround

1moreround TS Member

With the trigger removed I can move the firing pin back and forth freely ,so I think it's just a weak hammer spring...

15. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Following is a cut and paste from Dougsgunsmithingshop.com

"We do not install release triggers into any firearm except the Remington 90-T. We can make any adjustments necessary to release triggers installed by others. These include…Bowen, Scwaab, McDaniels, Spears, Allems, Paul's, and many others."

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.