1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi-Res pics of Ken Hurst Engraved SX-1

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Baron23, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm sure many are sick of me posting pics of this receiver, however, others have asked that I post high quality pics when I get them, and so here they are below.

Please note that we lit the subject very obliquely in order to up the contrast and hence enhance the view of the engraving details. We also pushed them a bit in Photoshop...maybe too much in at least one of them.

None of the below are really balanced publication ready shots...we will mess with them some more to get them right...but the detail that was previously not visible is now there.

I hope you enjoy viewing Mr. Hurst's work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. too fast

too fast TS Member

Not only some fantastic engraving but some exceptional pictures. Great job all around.

Thanks for sharing
    Jim

3. 800Shotgun.com

800Shotgun.com TS Member

Steve,
    Nice gun, very pretty..

4. Baron23

Thanks Jim and Kurt (I assume that this was Kurt??).

Kurt - I keep seeing absolutely breath taking guns posted under your Great Lakes Sporting Arms company. Hope all is going well with you and I look forward to seeing you sometime this season.

Best of luck with the business, it looks like you are doing a great job with it.

Stephen Meyers

5. Baron23

Hi Jim - those dots were in the original art work I gave Ken to use...maybe the dog was shot, but I think its just spots...like "see Spot run" LOL

See below

[​IMG]

6. Baron23

Sportshot - don't know if its south GA but its somewhere like that :)

The truth, most folks eyes are drawn to the gold inlays. This is understandable.

For me, however, the aspect that I most wanted to come out in the photo of the right side is the trees above the slot for the bolt handle. You can just see back in there...the depth of field is fabulous and I would think extremely hard to do in metal. Its not the most flashy part of the engraving job, but those trees and moss are, I think, my favorite (that and my little turtle on the log :)

Stephen

7. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

Steve,keep the updates coming! Again can`t wait to see the finished gun. Just keeps gettin better.can even see the turtle better. thanks Mark.

8. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

so how much was a gun like that ? and i quess i gotta ask - why on that gun?
    one more thing- what keeps the gold stuck or adhered to the engraved steel?

9. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

ACSS ----- Good question. I first draw the critter followed by cutting the outline of said critter. Secondly, I hollow out the middle of the inlay lines down to .017". The next step is to undercut the sides of the recess making a dovetail. This is followed by raising hundreds of small burrs filling the entire recessed area. These burrs have very sharp thin raised needles which catch the gold as it is forged into the recess and eventially flows into the undercut edges. Now, the bottom of the inlay is wider than the surface making it impossible for the inlay to ever come out. Further, those hundreds of small burrs grag the gold thru-out the total area giving further assurance that gold will never come out. Hope this answers your question. Best regards, Ken

PS ---- We have all seen inlays that have come out. This is due to poor workmanship in preping the cavity before gold is cold forges into the recess.

10. turmite

turmite Member

Ken I have nothing but admiration for you work. Art is the only word to describe it.

I am curious if you remember an engraver by the name of Giuseppe Forte? I hope I spelled his name correctly. When I first became interested in firearms years ago I saw some of his work, then found out he had passed. Shame talent can't be transfered!

Mike

11. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

Turmite ---- Sure, I met Mr. Forte many years ago. I have been engraving firearms for 50 years as of this past summer --- you get to meet lots of engravers in that much time.

Thanks for your kind words, I try but gladly state that it is a God given talent. Best regards, Ken 910-221-5288

12. turmite

turmite Member

Thank you Ken for the reply. Do you know of any available online photos of Mr. Forte's work? I think I remember he was most famous for French Gray or something like that as well as his engraving and inlay.

Thank you again for the acknowledging God as the giver of your talent.

Mike

13. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

you forgot one question--$$$$$$$$$$$$ man hours x $/hr=?

14. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

What a great way to start my morning. Thanks for sharing. AJ

15. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Beautiful! Jake

16. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

acss, I suggest you contact Mr Hurst directly. It is considered impolite to discuss the cost of another person's project in public without his permission.
    Why on a Super X-1? Cause they are a masterpeice of balance and design.

Great work Mr Hurst, as usual. Baron, please continue showing pics of the project.

17. chuckles

chuckles Member

Ken, you have outdone yourself, absolutely magnificent, congratulations...
    I have a pair of consecutively numbered Super X plain receivers that I would like to have some engraving work done on, I will send you an email and some pictures.

Stephen, email me some pics...I see exactly what you mean by the trees in the background over the bolt handle opening,that is my favorite side with the Wood Ducks and swamp and all....Fantastic.

regards

18. Baron23

ACSS - Mr. Dove Commander pretty much nailed it. The reason an SX-1 was used is that I believe that this is the best auto ever made, it appeals to me for its bit of "cult" status and relatively small population, and it provides a fabulous canvas for this type of game scene engraving....also, I'm clinically insane.

As to the cost...no, I'm not going to share that with you in a public forum. Further, I'm not sure that it is relevant to anything as this job could have been done with varying degrees of complexity, detail, and hence cost. There are a wide range of possible options that would have nonetheless yielded a beautiful gun but at a range of costs.

Cheers

19. Baron23

Chuck - pics sent. Use them as you please.

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

That's the best looking SX-1 I've ever laid eyes on!!!!!!!!! Well done Mr.Hurst!!! Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pictures of guns engraved by ken hurst

sx-1 engraved photos