1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi Power rifle question - ROOKIE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by XTFreak, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XTFreak

XTFreak TS Member

I have no experience with hi-power rifles and know very little about them. If I wanted to purchase just 1 rifle with the most versitility, what should I be looking at? A few people I trust keep pointing me to a 700 BDL in 30-06.

Any other opinions out there? Thanks.

2. wild gun one

wild gun one Member

What do you whant to hunt or shoot with this rifle?

3. porky

porky TS Member

You can't go wrong with the choice of a Rem 700 in a 30 06 caliber, as long as you don't hunt squirrels with it. It covers about all big game here on the North American continent.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You have to consider a few basics. If you are going to shoot store bought ammo you need to check availability and cost information.

When my Dad started out there were few choices. 30-30, 30-06, maybe 270 which at the time was considered a wildcat. There were also some calibers which are not realpopular today, like 35 Rem, 303 Savage, 30-40 Kraig (WW1 surplus) etc. He never would have heard of stuff like 300 H & H or any of that fancy stuff.

Now there is a head turning array of rounds available, all with their own characteristics, and some of them act like twins with others.

wild gun's question is very pertinent. If you hunt small stuff up to the size of Coues deer a 22-250 is fantastic.

In the antelope, Mule deer, bear, etc category you need a little more thump to get the bigger animal down. Larger game than that requires the ability to throw still heavier bullets. (300/338 Magnums etc)

If I was just starting I would probably want a 260 or a 7mm-08. Short action, good speed and accuracy, and yet the ability to shoot heavier bullets.

This is pretty much a Ford/Chevy/Dodge question from here on.

You can hardly ever have too many guns. Get one each in small, medium, and large.

HM

5. bow377

bow377 TS Member

THE FEW PEOPLE YOU TRUST ARE RIGHT ON TARGET. THE REMINGTON MODEL 700 BDL IS ONE OF THE BETTER CHOICE'S, THE 30/06 CAL. IS ANOTHER EXCELLANCE CHOICE. BUT DON'T OVERLOOK THE .280 CAL. GET EITHER CAL. IN THE BDL AND DON'T LOOK BACK.

6. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

I'm not a big fan of the 30-06, but I've always said that if I could only own one caliber rifle it would be in 30-06. Ammo is readily available about anywhere, and there are alot of bullet choices. If your only interested in shooting paper, there are alot more recoil friendly calibers out there.

7. RJ

RJ TS Member

I have been shooting big bore for many years and the best in my book is an 30-06. You have such a versital aray of bullets you can use and shoot everything here in the U.S. With the exception of one. I've shot Moose, Bear, Deer Antalopes, Mountain Lion, Baggers, Wolverines,even a Squarel and a Snow Goose. I won't get into that one. I have not shot Buffalo,because I believe the 06 is just a litte short on power but if you load the 180 grain bullet in a 300 Winchester 300 Magnum this should cover the bill for that. The Buffalo is the exception. (Rich.inAz.orinnameonly)

8. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

A .30-06 is arguably the most versitile round out there with possible exception of the .308, and 7x57, 8x57 Mauser. All of them have killed everything on this planet.

All of these are "world calibers" meaning you can get ammo for them virtually any place in the world. Also all were Military rounds first, which means there are literally zillions of guns avaiable to shoot these calibers.

The Remington Rifle is a good choice, but there are literally hundreds of excellent hunting rifles available and really it all comes down to what looks best to you and how much you want to spend. You can pick up a used Rem for $300 or you can buy a Dakota 76 for $4500. There are 50 different makes in between.

Define your primary usage, do your homework, and shop wisely. Unless you buy a classic or antique it will probably decline in value,and some decline more and faster than others. if you are not going to take care of it IE: pickup truck gun, then don't spend alot. If you buy a name brand and keep it nice it will probably be worth just about what you paid for it.

I personally like older guns. I have a Husqvarna 30-06 made in 1951, I paid $225 for it 30 years ago, it is worth way more now simply because it is an excellent firearm in excellent shape. I also like Remodeled Springfield Sporters, but if they are any good or were made by somebody important they generally fetch a premium price, or you can do what I'm doing and build your own.

I own 3 .30-06's. An M1 Garand, the Husky, and a Springfield 03A3 that I am building. I will no doubt aquire more along the way.It is one of my favorite calibers.

You just can't go wrong with the .30-06.

Randy

9. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Any of the big three/four (WW, Rem, Savage, Ruger) bolt guns in .308 Win.

I had a 788 Rem years back in .308 that was one of the most accurate rifles I ever owned, and it was an eighty dollar gun then.

10. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

There is one catch with the 30.06. There are .06's from the early 1900's for which factory loaders need to account. These older guns, with wear and tear, are not upto pressure specs as are newer guns. So what you get with factory loads are ones that are "safe" for these guns. To really get all you can from an .06, you need to load your own shells. Not really a big deal- lots of brass, bullets, and powders out there. Properly stoked, the .06 is suitable for all North American game except perhaps the biggest bears. African Plains Game? Check. Dangerous game? I'm sure the Big 5 have been taken by an .06 - but you probably want a little more gun for those.

The 700 is a great choice out of the box. Lots of after market guys can tune it to be a real tack driver.

Ducks

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Rem 700 is a good choice. 30-06, 308, 270 are cal you can find in any store any where.

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Any of the big three Winchester, Remington and Savage in 30-06 308 or 270 are versatile and accurate enough to take anything walking this side of the earth,...also the new Marlins XL7 rifles are getting rave reviews for accuracy and toughness...have excellent triggers and can be had new for under $400

13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I would look at either the Sako or Tikka rifles - great out of the box accuracy and adjustable triggers. ship with detachable magazines as well (which I prefer).

Haven't played with the new Savage rifles so cannot comment on them.

Relative to power, cost, and accuracy I'd look at the 308 before the 30'06...

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

"A few people I trust keep pointing me to a 700 BDL in 30-06."

I concur.

John C. Saubak

15. bill4807

bill4807 Member

The 700 BDL is a fine rifle. Try the .308 vs. the 30-06, it has been defined as the most inherently accurate commercial round available.

16. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

700 BDL in 30-06 will fit the bill perfectly. The 308 is great but it really can't shoot the 220 grain slugs well which is what you should use if you go after Griz, Buff or Moose. The 30-06 is found all over the world, so is the 308 and the 7x57 Mauser. The deal with the 06 is that it really can cover everything from soup to nuts for the average guy and finding ammo is never going to be an issue.

I assume you want a hunting rifle. That negates any advantage the 308 might have in accuracy. You need 1-2" groups at 100 yards. You don't need clover leafs. Theory is one thing but practical application is what counts in a hunting rifle. Any good 30-06 will shoot better than you can under hunting conditions.

The Rem 700 is such a ubiquitous rifle that parts and service are available anywhere on the planet. It's a proven and trusted platform that works under all conditions and it fits the average guy without alteration.

That's my $.02. I'm 54 years old and have hunted big game in AK, MT, ID and CA. I'm a Hunter Ed instructor for the state of CA and a long time rifle nut. I shoot the 06, 308, 8mm Mauser, 7x57, 45-70 and 45-90 along with the 32-20, 357 mag (in rifle and pistol), 375 Win BB, 38-55, 358 Win, 22-250, 223 and of course 22LR. So, I do know my guns and do have some varied experiences with big game hunting. You have my take. Good luck and have fun!

17. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

375 h&h will handle anything in the world. I also like all the 300 magnums. 300 wsm, 300 why mag or the 300 win mag.

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I've truthfully never seen or owned a 308 (sporter!!) that I could say could consistantly outshoot the majority of my 30-06s...its all in thr barrel and load and at least a lil bit of the nut behind the butt

19. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I agree with Mike Calkins. And I, too, have owned rifles of about every caliber listed above. I like the .308, the .270, the 25-o6 and the 7mm Mag. But the 30-06 is still my choice for one gun.
    You might also look at the Remington pumps. I have owned a couple that I really loved to hunt with. In a bolt action, you might also consider a Browning or one of the Weatherby Vanguards. Just two more ideas to confuse you even further!
    Whatever you get...enjoy it and never sell it!!! I have never heard an old duffer like me say they regretted keeping a certain gun, but I have heard hundreds say the regret selling or trading one. And I am at the top of that list! Merry Christmas. Jack Farrow

20. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Now we still dont know what you are going to use it for but if just in North America

The 25 06 is really the flattest shooting "standard" factory round and will kill elk or moose with the new premium bullets

Doesnt have the recoil of the 30 06-- even though the 30-06 isnt bad

Shoots flatter

Can handle varmit weight bullets at one end and 117 or 120 grain boat tails at the other end that have tremendous sectional density ( goes to penetration) and Ballistic coefficent (goes to velocity retention over range)

Regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.