1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi-Definition Lenses - Your Input Please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Hello all,

I am requesting your input on the Hi-Definition lenses for shooting glasses. I am a Decot Hy-Wyd Authorized Dealer. At the past three shoots I vended at, I have had people come by and look at glasses. They ask, if I have Hi-Def lenses? Both requests came from customers who were there for the vendors, not shooting ATA (Ohio State, KY State, & Grand American). I am curious to know who has used them, and your input? I currently know that HiDefSpex, Ranger CMT, and Lehman has some Hi-Def Lenses. I have never looked thru any, and want your input. Is the Hi-Def a major plus, or is it "Marketing Hype"? I will relay any input you have on to Decot, and my business.

Thanks for your time,

Matt Woodson, Owner

Woodson Enterprises & Scattergunstore.com

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Looked through some CMTs last year......didn't do anything for me. I really like the Decot target orange with blue blocker. No eye fatigue whatsoever after wearing all day!

AndyH ;-)

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Not familiar with hidef, but I would ask readers about the green with polarized affect. I shoot primarily on bright sunny days and at orange targets. Thanks for any feedback.

JON

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

Matt I am assuming that you are referring to generic hi-definition lenses and not the specific brand. I have used the HiDefSpex and while the lenses seemed OK their customer service sucked. The CMT lenses offered by RE work well in bright light conditions but for my eyes a light or dark purple seems to work better in low light. I did get to look at a set of bronze Polarized lenses for the RE XLW that were really impressive even in a cloudy day scenerio. The whole scene was crisp and sharp and the targets really popped. I just wasn't willing to get rid of my current RE XLs and 6 sets of lenses to buy the XLWs so I could get the lense, which by the way was an extra cost option ($70 IIRC) for the XLW.

--- Chip King ---

5. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have HD lenses from post 4 optics and they are great I don't know if they are any better than not HD but I like what I have.

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I am referring to any Hi-Definition Lens, not just one company. I was unaware that Post-4 made Hi-Def lenses. Keep input coming.

Matt Woodson

7. curly1946

curly1946 TS Member

if your talking about the company hi-def they are a piece of shit, i've had 5 sets of lens still don't have a
    pair i can use. over 500$ invested

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Matt,
    I'm thinking you're putting us on because you know there's no such thing as "high definition" lenses and it's just marketing hype. I also believe that you're taking a shot - and deservedly so - at HiDefSpex for all their marketing BS, of which "high definition" is just one.

In the 35 years I have had Decots, they have never resorted to pumped-up, exaggerated claims, which I respect. In fact, they lean the other way to keep shooters from getting caught up in some novelty lens that will not benefit their shooting. I'm referring specifically to the fact that they have alway discouraged people from getting " blue blockers," because even though there are some spectacular visual effects, they don't provide better clarity of the target and will fatigue your eyes much more quickly.

Interestingly, Dave Shaeffer who just had a spectacular Grand American has his HiDefSpex for sale on this forum. Now possibly he was put on the payroll like a bunch of other top shooters, and they have given him several sets gratis, but it struck me as strange that he had no comment about his opinion of the product on his post.

9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

dickgtax,

No, I am not taking a shot at anyone. I am looking for input to help shooters out. I haven't ever looked thru any "hi-def" glasses. I wear my ole' Decot Hy-Wyds and Revels. I agree that Decot is a great company. I have been selling them for a year now.

Matt Woodson

10. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Matt - I just bought a pair of prescription sunglasses from my local optician. They are Crizal Sun lenses. The Crizal's web site says that they put an anti reflective coating on the inside of the lenses and that reduces glare. They are really nice to shoot with. The optician called them Hi Def lenses. If there are any optics people on line, please weigh in on this. Matt - could you ask the Decot people. I also shoot with their prescription shooting glasses, and perhaps the Crizal coating on their lenses would make them Hi Def. Billy

11. Rods Custom Stocks

Rods Custom Stocks Member

Hey Matt,
    Post4 has made a HiDef lense for years that will fit in Decot and Ranger frames as well as there own frame. Theresa has been a Post4 dealer for years if you have any questions about there lenses give her a call or you can contact Mike Rinard the owner of Post4.

Rod w/Rod's Custom Stocks 419-347-6403

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Hi Matt,
    I have Randolph and Decot glass both are good and many lens to choose from.
    The HiDefSpex glass that I look though made Evey thing to orange. They were clear but not any better then Randolph or Decot. I just couldn't spend $600 for a pair of shooting glass. When I really couldn't see a difference.
    I shoot with some guys the have HiDefSpex shooting glasses and love them. I would guess it like a any thing else if the price is high enough it's got to be good.
    John

13. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I have a question about lenses and quality of material. At the Southern Grand a vendor told me most of the lenses came from China and were not as good a quality as his American made ground lenses. I shoot prescription lenses so need a ground lenses I am surmising this has to be made and I have a bi focal added also. I would also like to say I have a circle bi focal in my glasses and when I first saw it I thought it was odd in design but it has worked out wonderful and I would not make a pair with out this design again I'm that happy with them. My question is who has the better quality lenses and how does a layman tell which are the best quality. This may be a question for a eye doctor to answer if one is reading this post. I want to know the name of the better lens manufactures so I can request a brand when pricing and ordering.

Buddy

14. thrillr89

thrillr89 Member

It has been my experience that lenses from American Optical have been a good product for rx lenses. Most all rx lenses are a molded product and the perimeter shape is what is ground to fit frame considerations. I have used post 4 hd lenses and did not like them,kind of heavy and dark for my personal taste. Good people to work with, fast and fair, just did not work for me. I put my trust in Decot.

15. Alno

Alno TS Member

WoodsonENT,
    I have a pair of prescription Ranger CMT, makes orange pop and sometimes look red. But have never shot well with them. If you are really looking for something that works you might try investigating the REVO sunglass line offered by Bausch&Lamb. They supposedly take near infrared and near ultraviolet that is just outside of the human visible range and absorb it into some coating on the glass that then re-emits the energy in the visible range. This may be marketing hype. They (REVO) will not make shooting glasses, I've asked them. But, I can tell you I have shot many a 25 straight wearing these REVO regular frame sunglasses. Also, most astonishingly, at dusk, when most people take off their sunglasses as they make it too dark, these damn REVO glasses make it lighter. It is really astonishing and must be experienced to be believed. Also, REVO claims that it is the same glass coating that is used on NASA astronout's spacesuit face shields.

16. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

Ditto with what EE stated. The Post4 HiDef lenses are terrific. I can't say how they compare with other companies, but they are the best I have ever had, and I have gone through most of the other brands.

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Matt..... I feel qualified to answer your question as I just went through the "new eyglasses" stage, again. I have worn Decot HyWyd's for about 18 years. I have 6 sets of Rx lenses for them, ranging from clear to blue ice. Always seemed to work just fine. I just had a major change in my Rx and decided it was time to upgrade to new frames and lenses. I tried Randolph Enineering Rangers with the CMT lenses, Post 4 desert glow lenses,, HiDefSpex, and a couple other "off brand" sets. Bottom line? I went back to Decots with their new Revel frames, and three, basic lenses. Clear, Lt.Med Vermillion, and Lt.Med Target Orange. These are the lenses I found that I used in 100% of my shooting and the other 4 sets were just not needed. I will take Decot over any of the rest, hands down! They are just plain a superior product with no frills, exaggerations, or false claims. They just do the job, and their customer service is fantastic! If some of your customers want something else, let them buy them. Sooner or later, they will buy Decots simply because they are the standard all glasses are held to... Just my opinion.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

18. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Thanks to all for the comments. I am not looking for glasses. I am trying to help the shooter find a good product for them, not myself. I think that some posters thought I was looking for some. I will continue to carry and wear Decot Hy-Wyd Sport Glasses. If you need any, please contact me.

Matt Woodson, Owner

Woodson Enterprises & Scattergunstore.com

19. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

What exactly constitutes hi def lenses? If it can't be defined, how can it be intelligently discussed?

20. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Wireguy,

Uh, Uh , High definition is when I shoot a good score. Bad definition is opposite of good score. When I was a boy, my dad used to define some things for me and I understood exactly what he meant. You might call that bottom line definition. Hope this defines this for you.
    Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

high def lenses feel weird

hydef lenses shooting