1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hey you guys from Michigan

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 9point3, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Might have an oportunity to move to Mich for a job, can live where I want as long as it is located somewhere near the center of the state,

I like to hunt deer gobblers and shoot trap, Where should I look?

JTB in IOWA

2. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Hey,

I'm in the Detroit area, but the center of the state? Meaning the lower penninsula I assume. Maybe you should look around Lansing and north on Hwy. 127

50 or so miles north of Lansing is Mt. Pleasant (Central Michigan University) most of that farm country is privately owned but an hours drive north of there around Houghton Lake, there is plenty of hunting and fishing. Look up MUCC. org. There are turkeys in virtually any county in the Lower and several areas of the upper Penn.

If you are looking for a trap field, there are lots in this state.
    Look up MI/DNR.gov another good place to start.

If you want to email me or talk on the phone for more info PM me and it can be arranged.

Chuck Stevens

3. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Pretty nice here by Saginaw bay. Lot of good walleye fishing and the deer hunting can be very good. Stay north of Bay City on the east. Some good trap shooting in this area also. Actually all of northern mi is a great place to live. Bill

4. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Anywhere the Muslims havent taken over!

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

JTB, you saying it needs to be near the center of the state is pretty vague. Knowing what type of diggs you are accustomed to and what type of night life and restaurants you like to frequent. The center of the state is literally a huge corn field. If you have a family and schools are important knowing would help in pointing you to the ultimate location. Lots of opportunity here for hunting and shooting. More public land with excellent hunting north. Mostly private property and over hunted state land in the southern part of Michigan.

Jeff

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Having lived in northern Indiana for 50 years I found Michigan to be a shooters . Not only hunting but also trap clubs. And dont miss out on the mushroom hunting which is coming soon. It is some of the best

7. 9point3

Lookin to get into sales(traveling) and north of Lansing would be about right. My night life consists of a dring or two at the Legion and breakfast at the local diner. Job is not a sure thing but hopefully it works out

8. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Well, if you do make it here, this place would be about the closest facility to you should you end up in the Lansing area. Oak Hill Gun Club in Portland a bit west of Lansing has registered shoots throughout the warmer months as well and are a great bunch of guys to get to know.

Jeff

9. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

The Capital Area Sportsmen's League, on the north side of Lansing, is a good all-around club.

10. avery53

avery53 Member

I live in N. Michigan, but I would think somewhere around Clare would be a good place to look. Right near the middle.

11. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

I live in Howard City which about 30 miles north of Grand Rapids. Turkey is plentiful, deer hunting a challenge. Trap shooting is different, most around here are sporting and skeet shooters but 2hrs and your at Fenville.

However I would recommend look for some place just north of Lansing. That why your closer to good trap fields but a short drive to some good hunting country in the north.

Just my .02

John MI

12. BenelliM2

BenelliM2 TS Member

Like mentioned above Fennville is a club worth looking at. I have shot there for about 5 years now.

13. Hilltop

Hilltop Member

Michigan is a great place to live in if you like shooting,huntinf, fishing.
    Mid Michigan has lots of gun clubs the farther North you go they thin out.
    I lived just outside Howard City on Little Whitfish Lake for ten years and shot trap three nights a week. Clubs in Cedar Springs,Rockford,Madison Square,west Walker,Kent Co.,Portlads Oak Hill,Caladonia. Just west of GR is Grand Haven,Muskegon.
    If you go a little farther North you have Neys in Kingsley,East of their you have Grayling all nice clubs.
    I moved to the UP in 83 and at that time we had seven or eight clubs that shot a lot of targets. They have allbut a few gone by the wayside.
    If you move close to Grand rapids or lansing you wont have any trouble finding a nice club and a great place to shoot...

Al Brackett

14. 9point3

Thanks guys for all the info!! It will help me make my decision if the job is offered. Sounds like there are some great areas with plenty of shooting and where there are are trap shooters, there are good people.

15. 9point3

Well fellas,

I got the job, lookin for a place with 3 bedrooms and a basement near jackson or lansing the more rural the better

16. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Mason is nice. Close to Jackson and Lansing. No more than 3 hours to northern Mi. great deer hunting. But if you are lucky enough to befriend a farmer in Jackson County, That is where the BIGGEST BUCKS are in the state. Jackson is only a little more than an hour to Detroit and 30 miles from Ann Arbor and great football. I don't know how far from Lansing in miles but probably an hours drive or less and more great football. This is just a good state to live in even having to tolerate the liberal bullshit that comes from our two senators.

Chuck

17. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

I have two houses I need to sell to settle an estate in the Clare area.Both have lake access to a wonderful all sports lake with great fishing.Plenty of other lakes and state land in the area as well.These houses are priced to sell and I would like to sell them as a unit.The smaller house had been rented out until recently and with the low asking price for the unit the rental could pay your mortgage and you could live in the larger house for free.Clare has a nice little trap club and there are other trap clubs in the area as well.Clare is called the "Gateway to the North" and just about covers anything you would want for outdoor activities.If you would like to talk about it the numbers 231-832-9678.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.