1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hey Shooting Coach: 1.403" group / 1000 yds

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Hey Shooting Coach: 1.403

This happened last July. I don't recall seeing it then. Hopefully i'm not reposting. But regardless, this is impressive. I was happy to hit a life size steel buffalo and pepper-poppers with my Trapdoor Springfield at that range.<br>
    <br>
    July 9, 2007<br>
    Sarver Shoots 1.403? Group at 1000 Yards<br>
    Filed under: Competition, News — Editor @ 9 am<br>
    <br>
    Tom Sarver has entered the ranks of the Immortals. Shooting at the Thunder Valley (Ohio) Range on July 7th, Tom nailed a truly spectacular 1.403? 5-shot group at 1000 yards. This represents a new IBS Light Gun group-size record that edges Rich DeSimone’s 1.564?, previously thought “untouchable.” What is even more amazing is that the group was centered, producing a 50-score with 5 Xs. That will be a new IBS Score record as well.<br>
    <br>
    IBS 1000-yard Record 1.403<br>
    <br>
    Tom was shooting a big 30 wildcat he calls the “300 Hulk”, a shortened 338 Lapua Magnum necked down to 30 caliber, pushing 240gr Sierra MatchKings (0.711 BC) at close to 3000 fps. Tom is using about 85 grains of H1000. He anneals the Lapua brass after every firing, and the brass that set the record was on its 58th firing! After the record Group/Score target on Relay One of Match 7 in the Ohio 1000-yard series, Tom added a 6? group that secured the Light Gun class victory according to fellow Thunder Valley shooter Dan Wassum. Dan also notes: “Tom has been very close several times to records, but this time all five were in the right spot.” (J.P. Lucas was the 2007 Ohio Overall Two-Gun Champ at Thunder Valley this year.)<br>
    <br>
    Rich DeSimone offered his congratulations to Tom: “Congratulations from the guy you ‘de-throned’. It could not happen to a nicer more deserving guy. Since I have known you, when you first started shooting benchrest at Hawk’s Ridge with a bi-pod and a .308 snipers rifle, you have come a VERY long way. This August 17th would have been five years since I beat the existing record by around .040? and now you blew mine away by about .160? and put five X’s with it to boot. Way to go Tom!”

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

This is the ultimate in obsessive-compulsive behavior!

It takes an obsession to load ammo that will do this. I thought my .2 MOA was good with brass that was not neck turned and shot through a factory Browning Barrel!

Above groups are with 168 SMK, Winchester commercial brass on left, and Lake City 1991 brass on right. Both groups, fired on different days, were shot from cold clean bore. Rifle is Browning A-Bolt II Varmint Boss in 308. It wears a Leupold 24X Benchrest scope, and has a Moyers trigger set to about 24 oz.

One can tell that Military brass will group.

I have heard great things about the 240 SMK. I am long past my wildcat days, prefering to load military cartridges.

3. Brian in Oregon

Shooting Coach, you'll like this. (Ever wonder about it?) A friend with his own 1100 yard range was shooting into the deep snowbank under the target. Come spring, he was able to recover some of the bullets as they laid on the ground (a large barren mine tailing). The bullets were not deformed, just had rifling marks. He reloaded them, and shot them out of his match M1A. They grouped almost as good as the unfired bullets from that lot.<br>
    <br>
    We had a lot of fun on that range. He finally sold the property and moved back to civilization. He was snowed in five months of the year, ten miles from the nearest open road.

4. Shooting Coach

I have read of folks in northern Europe, doing the same thing with 6.5mm bullets.

I had a 160 acre VERY rural farm for about 20 years, with a shooting range off my back porch. Selling it and moving to town 15 years ago still fills me with remorse.

If I EVER get the chance, I will get back to the country for good.

5. Brian in Oregon

My ideal spread would be a long skinny property, infested with sage rats and coyotes, and in the fall deer and turkey varmints, and no neighbors.

6. Shooting Coach

What Brian said!

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

trapshooterjoe7,
    your 6" to 9" groups are good. Darn few people have a gun with the ability to group like that as well as the talent required to do it. Helping out with sighting in days at the gun club years ago taught me that the average guy shoots..... Well... The word average would be pretty kind. Lets just say I saw a whole bunch of 4 inch groups that were called 2" groups. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.