1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hey Pocatello

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dward, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dward

dward Member

We just got back from our annual elk trip to the Elk City area. We ended up with a couple bulls, but I've never seen so little sign and the timberwolves are flat out taking over. We heard a bunch go by in the woods that seriously sounded like a jet airplane going through the woods. Just curious what your take on the wolf situation in your area is???

Thanks - Dan

2. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Hi, Dan.

They aren't too prevalent down here yet, but there have been sightings as far as Malad City and the Uintahs in northern Utah. About five years ago I was on a late cow hunt and saw tracks just west of Freedom, Wyoming.

Lately I've mostly been hunting SW of Salmon and SW of Challis, and the outfitters in both places claim that the herds have been hit hard by wolves. I know there have been a fair number of wolves shot on the East Fork of the Salmon for livestock depredations.

3. dward

dward Member

Thanks Larry

How ever many wolves they think they have in Idaho, I'm quite certain there are more than they think. I appreciate Idaho, Montana and Wyomings approach to controlling the wolf numbers, as back here in Minnesota we want to protect them even after they are delisted. You gotta love old Butch Otter saying he wanted to buy the first wolf tag and shoot the first wolf. I want to move to Idaho!

Hope you are going elk hunting this year and good luck when you do - let me know how it goes.

Dan

4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Yes, Dan, I'm taking my wife's nephew Bryce on a cow elk hunt in mid-October. His Dad died a couple of years ago, and had always talked to Bryce about hunting, but never was well enough to take him. There's an outfitter in the White Clouds, Ken Smith, who has an adult/youth hunt for a very attractive price, and we are going with him. Another nice thing is that Idaho has what they call a mentored youth tag, where a nonresident 17 or under pays the resident price as long as they are hunting in close proximity to a licensed adult. Hopefully we can at least get him a look at some game, maybe get an elk, and possibly even a deer.

We had Bryce stay with us a few weeks this summer and got lots of shooting with his rifle, but also trap. I set up my old 870 for him (it has an adjustable comb Greg Hissem installed). Anyway, he came a long way in a few weeks, from breaking 15/16 out of 25 when he started to breaking a 96 in singles and a couple of handicaps in the low 90s at our Gun Shoot. Is there anybody in the Gresham, Oregon area who might be interested in taking him out for trap once in a while? He's about to turn 15, has been through Hunter Ed, and is a good kid. I'll pay for his expenses.

Larry

5. Lyle

Lyle Member

Pocatello,
    I've been hunting in the Council area and have seen wolf tracks as well.
    They are here.

Lyle

6. zap

zap TS Member

Just got back from Fritz Creek area and many signs of wolves. Ran into some wranglers bringing cattle out who also confirmed a substancil amount of wolves in that area!!!

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Just remember the "Three S's".<br>
    <br>
    Shoot it.<br>
    <br>
    Shovel it.<br>
    <br>
    Shut up about it.<br>
    <br>

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I just found the item above on the Idaho Fish & Game website (click the link)

9. dward

dward Member

I read that report too, and I'll bet that there are quite a few more than they are reporting based on my experience and what I've heard. I wouldn't be surprised if there were twice the number.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.