1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hey Ohio State Shooters!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Just got back from the Ohio State Shoot. I liked your grounds very much. Food vendors were too expensive and got raped by the golf cart rental guy, but otherwise, a good shoot.

One complaint though is your background discrepencies. We decided to come at the last minute and didn't prequad. We really paid the price for that mistake. Shot some pretty horrendous backgrounds and came to conclusion that your grounds are really not fair to all that have to shoot those western fields. I hope you are planning to fix that, if possible.

If any of you want to shoot a near perfect background, come to our Illinois State Shoot next year. For examples of our superb background check the pictures of it on the thread titled "Pics from Ill. State Shoot." Hope to see some of you there next year or any of our shoots. It's a treat in comparison.

2. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

Geeeezzzzzzzzzz , do you guys want perfection right from the gitgo ? He has only had a year and a half to get done what he has. BTW , are you from Michigan too ?

3. Barry C. Roach

Our background was perfect to begin with. And we don't charge $230. for three days of cart use.

4. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Just do like Sparta. Get in car and drive to where you want.

Rock

Jim

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Wow me and my buddy thought about renting a cart but figured it might be 75.00 for the week end but we never asked well at 75.00 plus a day I would want a enclosure on it so I could just sleep in it for the night because we got a room for 155.00 for 3 nights and thought that was plenty since it was no ritz hotel.

Fog

6. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

True trapshooters all you guys. The wind, the targets, the flies, the background, the over cast, too late, too long a line. Makes a fellow shooter swell up with pride.

Golf carts are nice but not necessary. Use you car if you can't walk. Plenty of parking near where you want to be. Parking places were constantly opening up and moving. I had no problems getting where ever I wanted to go, and in air conditioning I might add.LOL

I talked to quite a few vendors and they were doing a good sized business and a few were about out of the things they had to start with. Anyway all I talked too were very happy with sales.

Rock

Jim

7. Orange_Hat

Orange_Hat TS Member

Please quit the whining about the background. What would a shoot be without any obstacles such as background, wind, lighting, etc.? If you don't like the background at Ohio, then stay home next year.

Evan Storch

8. Barry C. Roach

backgrounds

9. CIM

CIM TS Member

In Nashville our backgrounds vary from trap to trap also.But we draw for banksthis seems to be about the fairest way to do it.I went to Cardinal last fall and thought it was a (superb facility)! This place has a big future.I have also shot in Illonois and I believe they still use handsets also.There always going to be some problems with any facility but drawing for the banks will handle that problem.

CIM

10. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I shot the handicap championship late, and was on the last squad at bank 10. Birds to the left were in the trees, birds to the right were in sky, birds down the middle could be in either background depending on what post you were on. Coupled with the overcast, I had a tough time seeing the birds. But I shot a 96, so I can't complain too much. Though after finishing up, I watched a buddy shoot his last 30 or 40 targets down on bank 3 (all sky background), and I'd much rather have shot there.

I heard there, and read here, that the trees on the upper banks are being cut down, and everyone should have the same background next year. Glad to hear it. But even if they weren't coming down, I enjoyed shooting there, and plan on being back next year.

Only changes I'd ask for, more TV screens showing the scores and the squads on the ready (like having one at the restrooms down by bank 1). Also, the acoustics in the main building made it a litte hard to hear while getting classified, squaded, and paying when there were 20 or 30 people in there all talking at once.

Michael

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The people that shot well on the (bad traps) are not Whining??????

12. kriegazzi

kriegazzi TS Member

KEYBEAR, we will have to go next year so we have something to whine about for a couple of months.

13. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

KRIEGAZZI The only reason this thread got started is someone shot like crap . So the reason I guess is the bad background not bad shooting ??

14. 700X-user

700X-user Member

It sounds to me like somebody misses the planes taking off and landing in the background. Talk about an inconsistent background!

Ed

15. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

I wonder if they will move I-71 ? All those vehicles drive me carzy.

16. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

trpshtr2001 JUST FOR YOU

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

I wonder if there is a way to make a few bucks by doing "background checks" for all the bigger shoots - seems there may be a market out there.

Don

18. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

As an OSTA director I know that drawing for banks at next years OHIO STATE shoot will be brought up. I've already brought it up before this state shoot at OSTA meetings and will again. It is the only fair way to run any shoot anywhere that involves a bank system. As a shooter who shot Missouri years before it was popular I can't figure out why they went to all 100 on the same trap. You shouldn't blame any good shot that takes advantage of any rule, blame the ones making the rules (ATA) for alowing it.

What makes it doublely easy for good shooters is the short, narrow angle targets that the ATA allows today. Go back to 3 hole 50 yard birds, and also throw in mandatory reductions. There are far too many 27 yarders that have no business shooting from that yardage. The 27 yard line should be an earned privilege, not a demanded right once obtained but never questioned or tested.

In far to many cases these same shooters who refuse reductions are in fact the ones demanding picking their banks, and then complaning when one of the real 27 yarders beat them.

If I was king I'd go back to skipping traps like the old days. Then everyone would get a couple of traps in the trees and a couple of traps in the sky and we'd find out who the best shot really is, and I'm sure the list of winners would be the same, just maybe not such a high score.

Brad Dysinger

19. Barry C. Roach

I still stand by my comments about the Ohio background and am glad to hear that the trees are going to be a thing of the past. Can't wait to shoot there when the playing field is more even. You can call it whining if you want but I made my comments not knowing that the trees will be a thing of the past.

Anyone shooting there knows that, this year, the western fields are like shooting at a completely different venue compared to the eastern.

CIM - Don't know what's bad about handsets. They aren't a factor as it relates to fairness. Frankly, they still throw the best targets with no delay in presentation. I will admit that target setters are expensive and sometimes throw an illegal target but shooters have the option not to shoot those, especially since you can see them so well at Brittany.

Brad - For the most part, I agree with your accessments about 100/trap and mandatory reductions but your a bit off target with this thread. Continued good luck running the Ohio State Shoot and thanks for your help this year.

20. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Brad Dysinger:

Ok I agree with you 100% I used to shoot the same way as you said in the past just like at the grand you had to skip a lot of traps to get to your next trap it was more even that way but I would say if a club had all the same back ground then let them go 4 traps in a row and if the banks are drawed each day then it should be fair for all.

And of course the real shooters will still win over the week end warriors.

But at least we would all be on the same playing field.

Fog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.