1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hey fellas, Got a question on 45 JHP's

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Hey fellas, Got a question on 45 JHP

I just opened a box of 250 grain JHP from Midway. Half of the bullets have three small white beads in the hollow of the bullet. Now, these are no mistake. They are made to be there. But, I have no idea why, or what the purpose of these are. All the bullets with these beads contain three of them. Are they some kind of explosive? Or there to increase expansion? They are fixed in the nose and I have to do a little work with a knife to break them loose out of the nose. Any ideas? Thanks, Jim

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Just there to cause maximam damage. The bigger question is why are there only half of them like that. John

3. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I've had bullets from a company like that and I believe the material in the hollow point was from the polishing compound they used to tumble them in at the factory. Don't know about yours.

Steve

4. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

AA, I wondered the same thing. But, these little guys really look like they're meant to be in there. Polishing material would be left in the form of one,two, or three little balls. In every case there are three little balls in the nose and they're evenly set in heighth, depth and pattern.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I suggest contacting Midway customer support and see what they say.

6. docjonsn

docjonsn TS Member

does it look like a corbon pow'rball

http://www.shopcorbon.com/glaser-powrball/600/600/dept

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

It would bother me that only 1/2 are like that. When you buy a box of bullets, you would expect to have each one match the model/brand/description on the box label. Are the balls soft like styrofoam or hard like metal?

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Strange??...maybe you could post a picture for us...I'm curious what the look like

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter. 45's don't go fast enough to expand. You need over 1200 fps
    to get any effective expansion with a hollow point.

10. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Some 45's expand perfectly at 900 fps. Hornady's Critical Defense and Remington's Golden Saber give textbook expansion ... to .75 caliber out of my 3" Colt Officer's. Even Hornady XTP's and Federal Hyrdrashoks expand out of my gun, but not to the degree of the first 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.