1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hey Beretta Fans

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Westie, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westie

Westie Member

Thinking about buying a Beretta Silver Pigeon II instead of a 682. Do you think the engraving on the 687 looks classy or does it look cheap? Haven't looked at one in person for a while and would like some opinions. Thanks.

2. Rockeee1

Rockeee1 TS Member

I would not mind having one

3. Trap1947

Trap1947 TS Member

It looks good, if I hadn't brought a K-80 I would be keeping mine. Gary

4. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have the 687 SPII that Joel Etchen sells with the 682E barrels. Both the 682 and 687 look good, it is just what you like. You give up the adjustable trigger, save a few bucks, can put the adjustable trigger on for cheap if you desire.

I put a PFS on mine, even though the wood looks very nice. Function over form I guess, but the PFS is great.

5. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Westie - Saw and handled a 682 Beretta Silver Pigeon just the other day. My personal opinon on the engraving was that it appeared to me that while it looked nice, for my own taste it was a bit too much.

I then questioned the dealer regarding the difference between the 682 Silver Pigeon and the 682 Gold E. He related that the internal workings and the steel of both guns were similar. He then stated that if the shotgun was going to gets lots of use, that the 682 Gold E would have less "felt" recoil because of the heavier weight of the the Gold E (about 8.2 pounds) as compared to the Silver Pigeon (about 7.5 pounds). I shouldered both shotguns and found that they both fit.

Whatever you decide to get, be happy with your decision and enjoy our hobby.

Dave

6. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have a Beretta Silver Pigeon III, 12 ga, 32" barrels, Optima chokes, $2400.00
    Photos are available can post tomorrow. Gun is next to new.
    Mike attista

7. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

You should clarify whether you are looking at the SPII/682 sporting model, or the SPII/682 trap combos. Because there are some major differences between these two types of guns.

The Joel Etchen SPII trap combo is virtually identical to the 682 Gold E trap combo.

8. jtf650

jtf650 Member

It's really a matter of personal taste and preference, there's no right or wrong about it. I can't say I care for the engraving on the Etchen 687 SPII, but I'm not a big fan of engraving in general. There are a couple for sale on the board right now that are tempting, though. On the other hand, the laser-cut checkering on the current 682 Gold E looks like some sort mutated lizard scales, even worse looking than the pressed checkering that Remington used to put on the old 1100s and 870s. And the modern stylized graphic on the receiver is nothing to write home about, either. I wish they had stayed with the earlier 682 Gold, which I own and find very elegant looking. But it doesn't matter what any of us think- the gun only has to make you happy. Good luck with your decision. James Fawcett

9. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

definitely take a good look at the Joel Etchens 687 SP2, they have some good pictures of the wood and the engraving and you can decide for yourself. I certainly got hooked and that is why I bought mine. I think the Etchen 687 SP2 is right around the weight of the 682 from my observations. For your info, the price of the 687 has jumped about $500 just in a little over a year,from when I bought mine.
    dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.