1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hexed or psyched out ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Shot at a registered shoot this Sun. I usually squad & start on post 3. Got squaded on post 2. Well the temp was real cold for me , high 20's to mid 30's. Missed the first two targets on post 2 on 3 fields & one target on post 2 on the last field. First time I can remember ever having problems on that post. Has something like this happened to anybody else. I got to thinking & couldn't figure out what was causing my problems.

Phil Berkowitz

2. BBMAX

BBMAX TS Member

Good morning Phil -

I do a lot of Trap Instruction here in the North East and may I suggest that "winter shooting" is a whole lot different and more challenging than the middle of July or the Grand in August. A couple of thoughts (a) back off trying to be perfect and shoot perfect scores - too much pressure and the wrong focus - instead try to shoot "each target" as best you can, (b) don't "over think" the situation - instead enjoy instead of problem solving, (c) if it gets too cold then stop, and finally (d) have a plan for your winter shooting program.

If you are interested email me and I will return with attachments some thoughts on how to approach Mental Management (including some challenging "drills" to master and a suggested training plan) so you can be ready for Spring and Summer competitive shooting. I wish you well and have a terrific 2010 Shoot Season,

Bruce Maxwell

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Holy Jeepers Bruce. Thanks a bunch, how come I never get those words of wisdom from you?? LOL. Hope all is well, I've not seen you for a while. Have a Merry Christmas and a healthy New Year. Bob

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Phil- If you are able to convince yourself that you do have problems on post 2, you will have problems on post 2.

In the example you posted, the problem was not your gun, your shells or the temperature. It was your mind.

Pat Ireland

5. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Up for Bruce Maxwell who generously sent me a ton of great info, thanks. And thanks for starting the thread Phil, good luck.

Dave Eberhart

6. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

If it makes you feel any better, I shot a 9 the other day. I shot better than that whwn I was 10 with a Sears (JCH) .410. A 9!

I feel your pain. I think 12 degrees with a breeze in your face does something to my eyes ability to focus correctly.

7. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Out of Fred Missildines book,

"Shoot varius starting posts, don't get locked into I can only Start on _____, because if/when you end up in a shoot off, the first thing that is going to be done is move you to another post then the one you shot to get into the shoot off!"

My thought process is that I really like posts 1 and 5, the other three are there.

That said, post two may be the post I shoot the best from.

AL Lingham

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thanks alot Bruce, you reminded me its time to do DRILLS and stop shooting singles & caps for practice. I know the drills will work.

Phil Berkowitz

9. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

phil,u answered ur own question--you got to THINKING--

10. dhip

dhip Active Member

wow,I really enjoy this website.Just started trap shooting after 25yrs. without picking up a shotgun.Seeing the posts here makes me think,maybe I'm not doing too bad.Just been shooting 5 weeks. Highest is 19 outa 25.Last two weeks 11'-13's,cold and windy nights.Figure to go out, just endure and have fun,wouldn't mind finding out what these drills entail,maybe I'd be ready to break my first 25 by spring,,lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.