1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hevi shot question????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chipdaddy, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

I have some Dead coyote "T" shot, these are the older gray cased 3 inch magnum shells. I opened one up and found several pieces and parts of the shot, the shot is easy very easy to crush with a plyers. So is this degeneration of this shot or what? Will this stuff break up when shot? Or is this just how it is.

2. Beni

Beni Member

If you can shoot at a piece of plywood and see what it does?? beni

3. skeezix

skeezix Member

Don't believe the dead coyote stuff is supposed to be soft , and I cant find anything on their website about it being soft, in fact it should be quite hard as it is a blend of iron and tungsten. Classic Doubles is a composition of pressed tungsten, iron, and nickel. Any chance you took apart a classic doubles shell?

You could email them and ask - their website is here http://www.hevishot.com/index.php

jh

4. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I would say you found a bad one should what you say is true. I have never found a soft piece in a hevi shot load!! Please double check your findings and let us know what you have. I plan on using some of the shot for my ducks in the late winter shoot out here.

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Chipdaddy raises an interesting question. Can Hevi-shot rust or deteriorate over time from being exposed to moisture? I don't have a clue, but you already knew that.

6. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Definitetly sounds like the Classic Doubles shot in place of the Hevi-Shot. Classic Doubles is the worst ammo ever made for hunting birds. Just shot the remaining 4 boxes of the stuff at clay targets last weekend. Crippled just about every bird shot at with the stuff. If you did manage to kill one it took an average of 5 shots. Not for me. JW

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Are we confusing 'soft' with 'brittle?'

I forget which non-lead, non-steel shot it was - I THINK Heavishot, but it looks more like klinker than anything else. Very random size and shape in the shot cup. It is hard, but crushes easily (i.e., brittle).

Try squeezing the shot between your fingers - will it crush then?? How about between two blocks of 'soft' wood? If not then it should be fine on 'soft' targets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.