1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

he's now a lefty

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

he

About 2 weeks ago I posted about a friend that lost his sight in his right [shooting] eye. Last night I watched him shoot, for the first time, lefty. Three rounds: 19,18,18. I was amazed! This was in windy conditions, and a lot of shadows. He had a grin on the entire evening. Congrats buddy! Bill Wheeler

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

There was a German in WWII that was also a Gold medal Olympipian in pistol shooting. He had a bomb almost take off is right hand and badly damnage his left hand. After the war he started to practice with his left hand and earned a spot in the up coming Olympic's. He won something in that game but I don't remember what. He over came his injuries and proved he could.

Hope your friend keeps up the good work.

3. Crickets

Crickets Member

My Father lost his sight in his right eye, he struggled to 1st learn to shoot left handed, then he Bought an old Stevens/Savage Pump with a Holographic site, the info I have on it is that it was an Air Force Training Gun to teach fighter pilots to use the "sights" in their planes and learn about leading the target. Anyway, he taught himself to use his left eye while shooting right handing by learning the POI from his left eye's perception. He never was AA shooter but watching him go through the process of overcoming his "handicap" left a life long impression on me.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My Brother in law lost his sight in his left (shooting) eye.

He was discouraged at first, but started shooting right handed a year ago.

He struggled through the 12's and 14's and recently has been shooting 23's and 24's.

Congratulations to all who overcome this difficulty.

HM

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I thought this was a Rick perry thread!!

6. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I have a friend that lost his right eye in a golfing accident. He won two state championships as a right shoulder shooter and one as a lefty. It can and has been done.

Congratulate your friend for us!

7. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

For many years before I had lens and lasik surgery, my eyesight was better in my left eye. I shot left handed at 600 yds. with the service rifle - no problem prone with a sling. Got a BSA left handed .22 Martini for practice. Scores were Ok , made The President's Hundred and Distinguished Rifleman.

Radical surgery on both eyes brought me to 20/20 and can see the birds with my right eye with no problem.

Hnak Cross

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Hank?...what surgery was that?..details please

9. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

If anyone is curious, I believe the olympian that Auctioneer was referring to is named Karoly Takacs... He was a Hungarian pistol champion, considered the favorite to win the gold medal in free pistol at the 1940 olympics, and his right (shooting) hand was blown off in a grenade accident while serving in the Hungarian army in 1938. He practiced shooting left-handed in complete secrecy, then won the national championship in 1939. Since the olympics were not held in 1940 and 1944, he had to wait until 1948 to win his gold medal (with a world record score). He followed that up with another gold in 1952. That's pretty much the ultimate "I had to switch to lefty" story.

--Dan

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

He accomplished that in Rapid-Fire pistol, not Free.

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Schockstrap and Buzz-gun, thanks for your in put and let us know who he was. I knew there was someone who over came their injuries to win. I wasn't to sure of names but I knew it was around WWII.

Hope this person can inspire anyone who has to deal with their own injury in life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.