1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Herters Wads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by RidgeRunner, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner Member

Anybody ever shoot any Herters "challis" wads? I bought out an old trap shooters stash of reloading supplies and included was 1500 Herters wads. I need some loading data. I guess if I can't find any I'll load 'em like a AA.

Also, if anybody is interested I have 10,000 Lage Uni-Wads in 20 gauge that I want to peddle off at $5/500 plus shipping. They are a good wad and loading data is printed on the back of the back. Uni-wad has been out of business for a number of years.

Kent

2. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

It will take a day or two but I think I have them around here somewhere.

Rock

Jim

3. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

The are spelled "Chalice" and they actually were a decent wad for the money.
    Was really sory to see Herters go.

Jeff

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Still have my Herters 50 straight patch.

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok never shot the black wads but I have shot several of the spreader wads with the post in them but I do have a case of their clay peigions might even sell them if the price was right.

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/gdarnell/shooting/?action=view&current=IMG_0100.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/gdarnell/shooting/?action=view&current=IMG_0099.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Fog

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Herter's brings back fond memories. The thick catalog was not only fun to read because of the rather wild claims, but it also had in it everything you could imagine and many things you could not imagine. The quality of the items in the catalog ranged from some of the very best to the very worst.

Kent, I would not load the Herters wads. You will not find any loading data for them and they are around 40 years old. Age can make some plastic brittle. They should have some small collectors value. Take a bag and set it on the table at your club. That will start some interesting conversations and someone will probably buy the wads from you.

Fog- Herter's would ship a box of targets through the mail to anyone. They arrived unbroken. It was best to shoot them from the 16 yard line, post three, with the trap locked to throw straight away targets. Heavy handicap loads worked best. Some would break when shot this way.

Pat Ireland

7. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Pat L.O.L. in my last photo it said handle like they was eggs maybe that is why they never got broke in the mail and probably half of the time on the trap range.

Ok got to admit there are a couple of broken ones that is not in the photo's.

Fog

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

ridge runner kent i have some also they are a lot shorter -- the western shells that wally world had some time back - that had the paper base wad that wad worked good in but shell was only good for one reload foggy there seems to be some guys on cast boolets that collect Herters stuff might look over there

9. Saddletramp

Saddletramp TS Member

Pat Ireland's comment that Herter's products fell into two catagories - either good or bad - is absolutely correct. Many years ago, when ordering from Herter's I would scan the catalog to determine if there was some small item to add to my order. On such an occasion I found advertised a Herter's Bowie knife with a lignum vite handle, guarenteed, of course, genuine leather sheath and a booklet giving instructions on how to survive in the wilderness - all for $1.25. I added that to my order.

I do not recall what else was ordered that day but the knife was the best I have ever owned. It has been in continuous use since the 50's. The sheath was thrown away the date I received and the booklet just disappeared.

I do indeed wish we had a Herter's today. Great company!

Wes Featherstone

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'm still waiting for their O/U to hit the market!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

herter plastic wads photos

herters black chalice wads

herters vandalee

herters vandalee wads

herters wad chalice type

herters wads

recipes for herters shotshell wads

reloading data for 20 gauge herters vandalee wads