1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hershey goin to Mexico

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pancho villa, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pancho villa

pancho villa TS Member

Pennsylvania is a big state, but it amazes me in this day, how some news
    doesn't make it over the mountain to the front page of our papers or the top of
    news hours nationally. Milton Hershey, this year, will be joining H. J Heinz
    in rolling over in his grave. Hershey Chocolate is moving to Mexico
    ....whoopee! They're even closing down Hershey Canada Please don't buy any more
    Hershey Products!!!!

M.S. Hershey had a dream... I will buy my OWN Sugar, Milk, Cocoa beans, (all
    natural mind you!) and make candy... (no tariffs etc..) EVEN during the
    depression...HE and the Company made money...NOW some Corporate big wigs are
    ruining the name... AND the product M.S. created... Please pass it on...What a
    bunch of college educated 'idiots'.
    Thank you M.S. for all the things I have and all you have done for me and
    my family...'I' do appreciate it... as for 'Dick' Lenny and Company...good
    luck you greedy, money loving mongrels...you are ruining the name, the
    company, and MANY lives in central Pennsylvania .... read on...Enough is Enough!

So Hershey executives are closing plants in the US , laying off over a
    thousand people, and destroying Mr. Hershey's dream, all to cut labor and
    material; The company will save about $170 million a year, all on the backs of the
    American people. The top executives will still make their mega bucks and the
    laid off workers will have to find other jobs, some probably at minimum wage
    due to their age. All this to take their jobs to India , China and Mexico ,
    So WHAT part of the 'GREAT' American Chocolate Bar is left?...NOTHING! These
    countries are no doubt laughing at the Americans, who they don't like
    anyway. How long are the American people going to sit around and let big
    corporations do this to us? We must all band together and let them know we won't take
    it any longer!

Please, do not buy any Hershey product! I pulled EVERY dime of my stock,
    retirement and my HEART out of Hershey...(it does hurt me to say that). If the
    company wants to take the work to these countries, then let those countries
    buy their product. We don't need it!
    BLACKBALL HERSHEY!!
    Please pass this to everyone on your email list so it gets all across the
    United States

This was written by a retired Hershey worker for 35 good years, living in
    the city that was responsible for making Hershey a great place to live and work
    and educate my children. I am not expecting this email to have a big effect
    on Hershey, but maybe if enough people pass it along, Hershey directors' may
    hear of the boycott.

2. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

The three inputs of production are land, labor and capital. The lower the cost is for any or all of these components, the lower the final cost of the product produced. The lower the cost of the final product, the more competitive it is in the marketplace.

We now have a global economy and a global marketplace. This means that any product must be competitive in New York, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Bombay, Paris, London, Rio and Sydney.

Capital can move around the world with a click of a mouse button. Land/factories(the physical place of production), has gotten more expensive in the US thanks to environmental and zoning laws. Obviously labor is far cheaper in countries with lower standards of living. As an interesting note, Hershey originaly built Hershey, PA to control and lower his labor costs. I'm sure a lot of people lost their jobs when he moved production there.

While it is little comfort when a person loses his job because the company moves production to a lower cost place, whether it is the next state or the next country, it has always been that way and will always be that way. The laws of production, distribution and markets are as real as the laws of physics.

Hershey Inc. is primarily responsible to its owners, the shareholders. You should have kept your stock because they are doing what is necessary to keep their product competitive in the world's markets. I understand your frustration, but you can't change reality. Just as you shop to get the same product at the best price, producers will shop to produce the product at the best price.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Pancho, I live in nearby Camp Hill and worked in Hershey (but not FOR Hershey) for seven years. You're right - the townspeople made the factory and the factory made the town. But more recently, the company and its workers have grown apart; in fact, some of those workers reported with great pride the amount of damage they inflicted upon the plant's machinery as they left the building for their most recent strike. When labor-management relations deteriorate like that, one side is not the only one to blame.

Ed

4. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

Cherokee, While understanding your point and agreeing with you on your post, I am one of the Americans that buy products produced in this country whenever possible. I know I pay more, but I also realize that the quality control is far better here than the products produced in other countries. I know what type of quality control can be expected from Mexico and I for one will no longer purchase products from Hersey because of this. It is a shame that the "bean counters" always look for the easy way to keep their bottom line large as the corporations of today are run by MBA's that have not started anything in their life, only walked into something that others had sweated and worked on all their lives. Maybe if management had taken some pay cuts and some other compromises were made, the company could have stayed here, but more than likely, the "whiz kids" took the easy way out.

5. tj303

tj303 Member

Though this article is several years old it explains the candy/ sugar problem well. http://janda.org/b20/News%20articles/sugarlobby.htm Welfare to sugarcane and beet farmers is forcing the candy business overseas or out of business. Nothing against farming/farmers as I am a third generation farmer that lives without subsidies(welfare). TJ

6. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Pancho Villa,

Your statement: India, China and Mexico, These countries are no doubt laughing at the Americans, who they don't like anyway. You may be right in part here particularly the first two, Mexico doesn’t give a rats ass where do they get jobs as long as they have any, so would you feel better if Hershey went to the UK instead or New Zealand or Australia instead? (Aussies don’t like us that much either, or do they?).

I agree with you, the decision of Hershey’s shareholders stinks, corporate America is ruining our country, where are the laid off workers going to be occupied next? The shareholders don’t care.

In this times of global competitive markets shareholders have to take decisions such as these to keep afloat or be taken over by foreign competitors.

I know one thing, most American kids won’t boycott nor will they care where Hershey’s are made, and they will just consume them as we did when we were young.

Such is life.

Berettaman7

7. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

The biggst shareholder is the Hershey School for Boys. Those greedy orphans!!

8. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

Having been a farmer and rancher all my life, I have never understood the subsidies program. Agriculture would have been much better off to NOT have placed these on crops and animals. Agriculture, like any business, should be regulated, not controlled by the Feds. When wheat farmers in Kamsas and Oklahoma ARE NOT ALLOWED to make a deal with a foreign government or exporter for their product because the government says they can't is not right. Because of what is laughingly called "the balance of trade", foreign products are allowed into this country in large numbers, but our agricultural products are not allowed to leave unless under government control. Way too much government in Washington and only the large corporate farms that have forced the family operations out of business are the ones that make millions off of subsidies. The farmers and ranchers are not the ones getting rich. They like the consumer are getting the short end while the "middle men" are the ones reaping the big profits.

9. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

This is sad, but, hang in there.....Hillary will bring all that Chocolate back!She's gonna send Willie down to get the goodies!

10. bwvan

bwvan TS Member

Were the Hershey workers union?

11. Houston6

Houston6 TS Member

The U.S enviroment is so hostile to business that it has long amazed me that people are willing take the risk of losing a lifetime of work because of a gov. regulation or lawsuit. I sold my last busines in 1994 after the Americans Disability Act create such risk of lawsuits that I was no longer willing to fade it.
    Those who want businesses to stay should be working to create a favorable business enviroment rather than rant against people doing the rational thing.
    houston6

12. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Maybe in Mexico the workers won't destroy the machinery....That might be considered a plus, ya think?

Any such decision such as relocating is not made by the "shareholders" but by the Directors/Management. Such ignorance of the world is probably the result of public education today.

13. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Which will be the better deal? Mexican cheap candy or China lead painted toys?

I am sorry but a Mexicans idea of cleanliness is to wipe the snot on your pants before you handle the food. No thanks.

My son worked for a fast food chain and the help was mostly Mexican and they had no idea that food that hit the floor was to be discarded not put back on the racks. And the manager could not get them to understand why you had to wash your hands a lot around food.

I am sure that the food products will be as good as the truckers from Mexico also.

Rock

Jim

14. DJM

DJM Member

Will I then be able to go to Mexico and get a case of the Hershey Squirts?

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

bwvan- The Hershey workers are Union and they celebrated the fact that during a strike they seriously damaged plant machinery to teach Hershey a lesson. It does appear that they did teach something to Hershey.

Pat Ireland

16. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

The companies that I have worked for over the years owe me 1 thing and that is payment for services rendered. They don't owe me a job next week or next year. Companies I invest in owe me their best effort to make profit and earn me money.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

9.3:

When a worker stays with a company because they offer pensions, or health care after retirement, or longer vacations after some years service, they expect to receive what they are promised.

People stay in the same employment because of loyalty and expectations. When a company pulls the rug out from under someone who should have left, but stayed because of promises, that is the most chickenshit game in the house.

If you want to be a day laborer go stand on the corner with the Mexicans. It's probably going to come to that some day.

HM

18. 9point3

Promises made because of union strong arming.

19. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

And 9point3 shows his intelligence.

Damage done to any company's property isn't right and the people responsible should be prosecuted.

But to blame the whole because of a few shows a lack of reasonable thinking.The majority of workers(union and non-union) are decent and hard working people wanting to make a decent living.

Bill

20. 9point3

Hey pal,

Unions just don't strong arm the company, there are plenty of folks who are happy with the wages and bennies they are receiving but are forced to strike by the union.

I am tired of the lefties voting themselves out of work (be it by voting in green anti business politicians or by voting to strike against the people who give them their job) and then complaining about the outcome.

Face it, lefties are against business be it pro labor or radical pro-environment. To both factions, big business is bad and must be destroyed no matter how much good/jobs it provides

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.