1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hernia operation

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Gotta go to doc and get checked, pretty sure he will stick me in the Hosp for an operation. Anybody had one lately. What is involved with todays technology?

2. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

depends on the severity,
    I had some mesh put in,,, has felt odd ever since,, But it works,
    As for pain med they inserted a tubing in the incision area and attached it to a ball about size of a grapefruit, over the 3,4 or 5 days it drips in pain killer then when it shrinks down to golf ball size you pull the tube out and throw it away,

I was down a few days then a few days light stuff then moderate back to regular life..

Best of luck,

Doug

3. cubancigar2000

Thx Doug, it is in my lower ab area on right side and about the size of a golf ball when I stand, when I lie down it goes away

4. noatrophy

noatrophy Member

I had bilateral inguinal hernia surgery in 1999. The surgeon used a Marlex Mesh. I had pinching pains at each of the surgical sites, I'm assuming from the mesh, for a good 8 years after the surgery. Ask your surgeon if there are better alternatives to any sort of mesh. If he insists on using mesh, be sure he tells you all the risks and downsides of using a mesh. If your body rejects the mesh, and I know a couple of guys who had this happen, you will have hell, I can assure you. Mine did not and I still was most uncomfortable for a long time.

5. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I would get several opinions. Many people live their whole life with a hernia, and it does not bother them, including my wife. If it starts to bother you, or blocks your intestines, then it is time for the operation. If you go to a surgeon for an opinion, by all means get a second opinion.

6. cubancigar2000

Thx guys, I go in today for an opinion

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I've had a small hernia for 9 years. So far so good. What really bothers me is the hemoroid in the White House.

Phil Berkowitz

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Phil

Shouldn't that be plural, instead of singular???

9. cubancigar2000

Thats funny Phil and I have to agree.

10. lwr_

lwr_ Member

Have had 5 hernia surgeries. One on the left, old style open surgery with no mesh and no recurrences. Four on the right, all with mesh, and 3 recurrences. In my experience the mesh repairs have the quicker recovery; however, they are prone to causing pain. I have constant discomfort and pain and have considered having the mesh removed. Surgeons like to use mesh because of ease of repair and the decreased recovery time.

Do your research on the different types of surgeries. The mesh is merely a patch and they do not suture the rupture together, just patch it. The old style open surgery is more painful to recover from; however, they suture the rupture closed and there is no mesh to worry about afterwards.

If it is your first hernia repair, the surgeon will more than likely recommend a laparoscopic repair with mesh. You will be up and active in a week.

All surgeons will tell you they have a zero or a very low recurrence rate. Factually about half of all hernia repairs recur, especially mesh repairs.

11. cubancigar2000

You guys have been most helpful. I am off to see the doc

12. cubancigar2000

My doc is sending me to a surgeon who specializes in laproscopi suregeries. He said I have a large one which means it is not in danger of strangulation so I will wait until after Thanksgiving

13. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Had my first hernia fixed in 1953 and the other side done in 1985. Both were traditional operations. What I remember about 1985 was that I was stapled back together and, after healing and all, the surgeon removed my staples with a sterilized pair of pliers, quite sadistically, IMHO, but big LOL now! Also, it took almost two days for my 'lower GI tract' to function 'normally'. Think great discomfort.

LA in MA

14. dougp

dougp TS Member

Sholdice clinic in Toronto Canada is world renowned ,(all they do is operate on hernia,s) The method they use is sewing the hernia with stainless steel thresd , no mesh 99 % success rate, People come from all over the world to get the hernia ,s done there , I live in Canada , my insurance covered the cost.,I did meet patients from USA, France Australia but they had medical insurance .Perhaps you might to see if the Sholdice Method of hernia repair is done in the USA . it,s much better than the mesh method. Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.