1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Here's one for the Model 12 guys

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SShooterZ, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Advertised as NIB, 12 gauge Heavy Duck gun.

He's asking $3100+.

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Hate to tell him,its not a factory rib. Only two styles of vent rib were used between 1954 and 1959. They were the Round post donut base and the Round post,the gun for sale has neither. Some one added the proof marks,BEWARE. Jeff

3. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

The gun I say has been refinished. Who ever did it did a very nice job. The pad for those guns did not last long. The one on this gun looks to good to be 55 years old. Theres no box. Its a nice gun but way over priced.

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

OH MY!!

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Sorry they did not have pics of the gun, What's it worth? 15? Jeff

7. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

I knew if there was anything to debunk on that Model 12, it would happen here.

Nice work guys, I always learn something new here.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

LQQKS like a Moneymaker rib on a 32 inch barrel to me. Hap

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I have seen a 32 inch Model 12 with a 32 inch donut base rib that was added by Simmons. I no of no one that has seen a factory Vent rib in 32 inch 3 inch Magnum. Jeff

10. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Wow, unfired since 1952 but no box - very interesting. SshooterZ, before ever jumping on the model 12 bandwagon, remember that a couple of million guns were made which means that lots of fakes are floating around. The model 12s are the worst thing to get involved in without lots and lots of study. There are a few rules of thumb, but the first thing to remember is that 3 grand is a lot of money to pay for a gun that is 55 years old and has 2 million relatives. The claimed unfired condition with no box or any other evidence for a gun that was purchased by hunters is very suspicious. This model was produced and sold to be a hunting gun.

11. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

That model 12 duck has the wrong rib on it. The wood is trap wood, but that could of been ordered with the gun or added later. I have 2 duck guns. One is a 32" solid rib and the other is a special order 30" factory donut rib, gold inlayed engraved with b carved wood that is stunning. It was ordered by a Doctor that used to shoot ata when I was a kid. I always kept an eye on it and finally bought it 8 years ago. Todd

12. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i have a 30 in. plain barrel very nice never been reblued duck gun that i wouldn,t trade for this unfired gun. mine should have collector value in the future. dwain

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I know someone who has 2 20 ga. model 12's that are unfired. 1952, and a 1954 vintage 28" inch bbl. no rib, full chokes.

George

14. Oldman1949

Oldman1949 Member

"The wood is trap wood, but that could of been ordered with the gun or added later."

Look at the wood again , only a little more closly. Not sure about the forearm but the stock is either a Special Field that has been heavyly sanded and refinished or a aftermarked one that has had a soild pad added.

15. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I personally, have never seen Winchester use a front bead like that gun has.

I could be wrong!

Danny

16. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

You now adays have to be careful of the so called boxes. With printers they way they are today I have been told that there are alot of fake stickers and on boxes.

17. larryjk

larryjk Member

I looked at the rib extension on the receiver. It is identical to the Simmons extension. Simmons also makes the "Duckbill extension" for $100 extra, but I have never seen a Duckbill extension on a model 12 receiver from the factory that had the recessed and matted top of the receiver. Winchester also figured there was no need to do that to the top of the receiver if they were going to put on the Duckbill extension.
    Simmons did install ribs for Winchester, and I am not sure of the location of the PW on the barrel or the rib extensions on those guns. I'll bet Simmons could shed some light, but I don't think they would want to take the time to get involved in this.

18. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

HaveGunWillTravel - Point well taken.

I really have no interest in this gun, I just thought it looked a bit "used" for a NIB model.

I'm really getting an education out of this thread though.

The only M12 I own is an old 16 ga that I paid $225 for. I might restore it some, might just shoot it, who knows.

But I would never dump that kind of money on a gun with questionable history.

19. glasman

glasman TS Member

OK guys here is my two cents>>

I have that identical Model 12, if I could get the true serial number off the one f/s, I bet my next paycheck that that the two guns would be within 50 of each other. If somebody can post pictures for me you all can review.

Big Bore, you are correct on the 54-59 era ribs, the one in question is era 52 and is stock. I could be the first guy you know that has a factory vent rib.

The seller needs to adv as a "trap gun," not a duck gun. That is an original qoute "trap" stock.

1952 is a long time ago, but if you can pick one up from an original owner and have doc's, you will have a gem. I wouldn't depart with my for 3K, but as we all know, the seller won't either.

20. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

glasman, I have a 1954 with a donut rib. One tight shooten mother! LOL Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.