1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Here is a load I like Compared to Win Super Hdcp

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I loaded this load recently because I liked the performance of the Winchester Super Handicap New Shells.

According to Hodgdon Basic Reloading Manual.

A new Winchester Super Hdcp has 11,300psi

1 1/8th oz shot, 20.9 grs Win Super Hdcp Powder, AA Wad, Winchester Primer
    duplicates the New Win Super Hdcp Shell 11,300psi

I loaded this and I really like it, I think you will too.

1 1/8th oz shot, Win HS Grey Hull,Win AA12 Wad, Rio Primer, 24 grains of Winchester Super Field Powder +1255fps and 9,100psi this is a softer shooting
    shell,

This is listed in the Hodgdon Basic Reloading Manual page 53 top left of page and last load listed.

This is a DANDY SHELL TRY IT.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Dr., why would you use WSuperfield @ 24grs. vs. Green Dot @ 22 grs. for the same results - 2 grs. less over a couple of yrs. makes a big price difference, and performance, don't know about that comparison, but would suspect it's pretty close.

3. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

4th down, WSFs a great powder for annies etc and I imagine gary has quite a bit of it on hand.

Bob

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

At 1250 fps. pressures are a higher with Green Dot and those components. Thats the top end with Green Dot, where as the 24 grains with WSF is towards the low end. I like WSF, but it's a very dense powder.....Keep an eye on your drop weights. It doesn't take much to be at a max. load.

Wayne

5. Dr.Longshot

The reason I tried the Super Field load was I bought 8 pounds of it for $70.00
    and the pressures are very low and I like that, you can still load it at 1310 and be legal under SAAMI specs of = or- 90fps 1250= 90= 1340 and still a legal load but stretching the limits.

I have chrono'd Winchester Super Handicaps at 1325+ FPS on shells loaded for the Grand American and marked w/year of the grand.

Flagrato I have buddies that load that load using Fed 12C1 they still have over 5,000 of the wads and won't part with them, hell of a good wad.
    I broke a 100 in Hdcp from 24 yds using then in a Win AA Hull w/17grs Red Dot
    in 1970 at Springfield Ohio actually 103 including the broken targets I shot.

Gary

6. Dr.Longshot

Solo 1000 is a good powder

7. vdt

vdt Active Member

PB for me

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Doc, your rule book is out of date. It's now 1290 MAXIMUM with 11/8 oz loads.

Any shell exceeding that is ILLEGAL for ATA use. Of course non-ATA use it's fine....

I can send you the rule if you need it.

9. Dr.Longshot

PB is more expensive per 8lb container, but a lot of people shoot it, PB pressures are almost equal to Super Field powder.

So it would be a good load.

Around here PB is $135+

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hdcp dram

super hdcp

win super hdcp reloading chart

winchester super field vs hodgdon longshot

winchester super handicap comparison