1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

HERCO shotshell powder anyone?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vegas blaster, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegas blaster

vegas blaster TS Member

Found an old can of Herco shotshell powder in the 8lb. red tin. Looks like an antique. Does anyone have any load recipes for this powder?

I have the fiocchi [616] primers and looking for a favorite 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz handicap load recipe. Or a favorite 1 1/16 oz load for second shot in doubles or mid range handicap.

I have the remington white and the green wads [Fig 8s and TGT 12s]. Or the CB clone pinks and tans.

Thanx to all and shoot well/often. Jeff k.
  2. bolt-action

bolt-action TS Member

Herco powder really stands out with 1 1/4 and 1 3/8 ounce 12 gauge loads. However, Alliant powder does list some heavy hunting and back fence handicap loads with 1 1/8 ounces of shot. Light target/light recoil loads were never intended to be loaded with this powder and performance with them will probably be sub-standard and heavy powder residue.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?page=/reloaders/powderlist.aspx&type=2&powderid=6&gauge=12
  3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

Like boltaction says, go to the web ans use the data. You will love Herco if you are loading for the back fence or hunting loads. Or you can sell it to me
  4. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Member

Not the right powder for this game.

As others have said, use it for 1 1/4 loads, that was what it was made for.

Tom Strunk
  5. BMC

BMC TS Member

Rem STS Hull, WAA12 wad or Fig 8, Win 209 primer, 1-1/8 shot, 25.5g Herco.
    They are loud and fast. From my experience going below 25 grains they start to show inconsistent performance. Great for long range stuff like games. I like a 26g with #6 shot from the porch.
  6. twopipe

twopipe Member

Great for 20 ga loads
  7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Herco is a hot load and some smart recoil field or long antie loads good on 20 at 1 oz
  8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I consulted the factory a few years back..and they let me know..it just does not burn correctly with a light payload.. The pressure is so low the burning is incomplete and erratic..
  9. ink ball

ink ball Member

I used to use Herco in my hunting loads. 1 1/4 oz of shot at a little over 1300 fps. When lead was still legal for waterfowl, a load of copper plated 4's really put the whack on ducks and geese.
  10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Are there some applications for Herco or WSF in 'Target' Steel loads?

Bob
  11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

I have an old 4 pound tin of Herco! Still works great too!

<a href="http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r104/HapMecTweaks/?action=view&current=8-20Pics023.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Works best for heavy game loads, I wouldn't waste mine for trap targets!

Hap
  12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Active Member

Go to the Alliant site, Herco is listed for 1 1/8 oz Caps loads. I tried and strongly considered it before I went back to Solo 1250.

Loading 1 1/8 oz at 1250 gives a surprisingly soft shooting and devastating load for Handicap. I tried a delightful load (26 gr) with the Windjammer wad, in a GM case with Fed 209A primer. This powder can attain Warp speeds for porch shooting and games. :^)

It IS loud, especially in my ported Unsingle.
  13. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

Bob,

Herco is in the correct speed range for shooting steel. Problem is I've not seen any recipes for it. Will be on the lookout for them.

We've asked Ballistic Products to test Solo 1250 with the Helarco wad for steel. Haven't heard back. Also in the ballpark in terms of burn rate.

Joe
  14. BillJ

BillJ Member

I use 14gr in my 28ga skeet/sporting loads.
  15. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan TS Member

Used to load it for annies and card shoots. 27 grains of herco, Remington 29928 wad and 1 1/4 ounce of magnum 7 1/2s.
  16. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Trade it off to someone for a faster trap powder. You will get more loads/# & better quality. Pistol shooters like this powder very much.
  17. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Joe, BPI lists several 26.5gn Herco loads for the B&P M24 wad (1400 & 10k), and a few for Solo 1250 (hotter & higher), too.

Check the datasheet for the "CSD Driver 078".

Bob
  18. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

Bob,

Way too fast and not enough shot. I want 1 oz and 1225 fps. Those guys are not trap shooters; they're hunters which is reflected in the loads they test. I'll keep asking. Maybe they'll be more interested if we was in bulk. I think we're down to 9 cases from the full order of 36.
  19. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.