1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Herco load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by squirrelkiller, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

We have been reloading this load since the late 70's. Load recipe was given to my Dad by a friend we knew and shot with. Would like some data (pressure actually) on the load if known. I was told this was a published recipe in the past and within pressure limits and around 1325 fps. AA hull, Win 209 primer, WAA12R or CB1138-12, app. 27.7 Herco. Really great load for blocking pheasant hunting with 4 or 5's.

Anybody have anything close. A friend wanted some for pheasant hunting this coming weekend. We have shot probably 2,000 rounds over the years and no problems, but any data would ease the mind.

Rod

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have used the same load for years in game shooting and also pheasant hunting. I changed it several years ago to a fed 209 primer, 1 1/4 oz lead, 27.7 herco, Fed 12s4 wad. Herco is a great load

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Rod.... I've loaded Herco for years. Your load is on www.alliantpowder.com.....There is a complete section on 11/4oz. loads with Herco..........Great powder!! Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Thanks CC. Appreciate the response. It will reach out and get'em.

Rod

5. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Thanks Trap2. All I could find was 25 grain max. I'll check a little more.

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Rod.... Look at the Remington STS information for Herco. You will get a better idea of what's available to you. You might also call Alliant for more clarification..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Darn, the Express Load (3 3/4 X 1 1/4) kicks! The Super Pigeon (3 1/4 X 1 1/4) is more than enough for me.

I prefer my Caps load (3 1/4 X 1 1/8) at 1250 for long range anything. I have been long using Unique for Caps, but have thought about trying some Herco.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.