1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Herb Parsons---FYI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Savage99Stan, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Just caught the American Rifleman show on the Sportsman Channel for last week (yea for DVR) and there was a good feature on Herb Parsons narrated by his son. Part two is this week. I was fortunate enough to see him in Springfield, IL, somewhere around 1951 or 52 at a Boy Scout Jamboree. I still remember the watermelon blowing up when he shot it (several pounds of dynamite, I believe).

Enjoy.

2. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I have one of his taped performances. I think it is called "Showman Shooter".

I heard somewhere he was giving a performance, when he saw a crow land in the top of an old snag tree. As I understand it, this crow was barely visible. Herb asked the locals what was beyond this tree. They said nothing, so he grabbed one of his Winchester rifles, took a shot at the crow, and as he laid the rifle back down on the table, the crow went all to pieces to the joy of the crowd.

Don't know if this is true or not but his shooting was remarkable.

Danny

3. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

Herb's sons, Dr. H. Lynn and Dr. Jerry M. Parsons have devoted much time assembling information not only about their daddy but other shooters such as the Topperweins.

You can learn a great deal more from their website www.showmanshooter.com and the boys recently put out a marvelous book (nearly 500 pages) of wonderful information, letters and pictures about Herb Parsons and family. The book Showman Shooter, The Life and Times of Herb Parsons, is a must read for those who want to learn about this great exhibition shooter. Herb really became interested in exhibition shooting while in high school, when he saw Winchester's exhibition shooter, Adolph Topperwein perform in his home town of Somerville, Tenn.

Having spent a couple of days recently with Lynn and Jerry, I can tell you first hand that though they are certainly a mischievous pair, Mr. and Mrs. Parsons raised a pair of fine boys.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Somewhere I have an old picture of the Topperweins tucked away. One of Plinky by herself with her rifle.

Thanks for the link Kenny!!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.