1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HERB PARSONS, do you remember?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shotgunpeople, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I just read the "Showman Shooter", a book about the life and times of the legendary Herb Parsons, written by his sons, Lynn and Jerry. A truly facinating book about his beginings, right through to his final days.

I have now ordered his tape "The Showman Shooter", along with one about the famous Topperweins, Ad and Plinkey.

Do any of you "BB" gunners of the 1950s remember Herb in magazine stories, or have a story to tell about Herb? He was a man all of us "Kids", along with adults of the time looked up to. We dreamed of the day we could shoot like him.

OK, lets hear your stories.

Dave in NY

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

I had the pleasure of watchng him "put on a show". Dang that fellow was GOOD.

3. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

Tom Knapp credits Herb Parsons in his show as his inspiration. You will really enjoy the video. I saw it 20 years ago and still remember it. If you ever get a chance to see Tom Knapp, do not give it a second thought, GO!!!!! We had him come out to Martinez Gun Club and put on a show. GREAT!!! Look him up on the web!

Gene

4. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Gene, I also have the DVDs of Herb's sons quail hunting with Tom Knapp at the Ames Plantation down south. Yes indeed, Tom credits Herb as his inspiration. The videos were part of "The American Birdhunter", shown on the outdoor channel from time to time.

Dave in NY

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Lynn gave me a copy of the movie and I bought the book this Grand, what a shooter and man!

6. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

He gave a show at the Hiyu Indian meeting at Hayden Lake, Idaho in 1947. I have a movie of him using a pistol in his presentation - a segment he later dropped. I sent his son's a copy since they had no other record of Herb using a pistol.

At an evening banquet, Herb was "initiated" into the Hiyu organization. He fired a Model 12 while standing, barefoot, on the head table. The trick was that after he had loaded a shell, paper hull in those days, he removed the gun barrel and exposed the chambered shell. He then borrowed a fedora from the Chief, placed it over the shell and fired the gun. The base blew out of the shell and the components ended up in the hat. He warned, "don't try this at home". Good memory.

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do you have to pay to go to herb parsons

herb parsons book