1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HERB PARSONS, do you remember ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shotgunpeople, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I just finished the book "Showman Shooter", about the life and times of the legendary Herb Parsons, put together by his sons Lynn and Jerry.

Back in my "BB" gun days of the 1950s, I couldn't wait to get a magazine telling stories about Herb and his exhibitions. Do any of the other "Old Timers" on here remember Herb, or have a story to share about him?

I have just ordered the tapes of Herb, and one about the Topperweins, Ad and Plinky. Can't wait til they get here.

Dave in NY

2. atashooter

atashooter Member

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I can't stand being refered to as an "Old Timer"

Ed Yanchok

4. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Dave, I have the pleasure of working across the hall from Herb's son Dr. Lynn Parsons. Dr. Lynn is a nice guy and I'm pleased to be a friend of his. If I'm not mistaken Mr. Parsons took a piece of tin and shot the outline of a headdressed indian with a rilfe (cali The item was aroung the clubhouse of the Logan Co. (Ohio) Fish & Game for as long as I can remember but alas someone probably threw away (or stole) this great piece of memorabilia. I've shot with Dr. Lynn many times and some of his stories are quite enjoyable.

JBV=Jerry Beach 8503917

5. blooch

blooch Member

I think the tin with an Indian shot outline on it was an Ad Toepperwein trademark, not Mr. Parsons.

6. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

There is a picture of Herb Parsons on the wall at Groton Rod & Gun Club when he did an exhibition shoot there many years ago. Not sure when he was there but the Club was founded in 1949.

7. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Blooch- you could be correct. I've heard that name bantied about in my 35 yrs. of being around the club.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

8. atashooter

atashooter Member

Parsons died when.... '57 or '59 ??

9. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Ed Ulrich tells the story of the time Herb and some of the guys at Winchester were shooting trap at the Winchester club. The trap boys cast some aluminum targets for just such an occasion and threw one for Herb, who rarely missed. He hit it but no piece came off so the puller called it a loss. Several turns later Herb went to his car to "tighten the guard screw" on his Model 12 and returned to the line. He finished the squad without a miss and the trap boys couldn't figure how he did it because they threw him 2 more "special targets."
    As they found out later, Herb replaced his trap loads with slugs and knocked out a piece of even the aluminum targets. He was a pretty saavy guy.

Jere

10. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I remember at the Grand/Vandalia ,I think in the 80's. I sat at the east end.The Year Herb was inducted. Looked it up "1991"
    Bill Staub's booth , he installed recoil reducers.We sat arround a table with Winchester/U.S. Repeating Men. They were talking about Herb having an airconditioner installed in his AMC car. Put in his expense account and this gentleman had rejected his request.He figured Herb got his money.
    Herb was held in high regard at that gathering.

Joe Woods/Ontario

11. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

Herb's other son, Dr. Jerry Parsons lives in San Antonio, Tx, He is quite a charcter in his on right.He is a Botany man Knows everything about gardening and bugs.
    Bob R

12. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

blooch is correct on ad toepperwein -- my dad has one of his indian heads hanging in his office...

Great page on the HOF on Ad and Pilnky

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

In the West, Gus Parrot, a Peters representative, drew the Indian in head-dress with his .22 for many of the gun clubhouses. Gus worked during the '20's and 30's and was also notorious for parading the Vandalia grounds with a large goose on a leash.

14. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

ED Y,

Its better to be refered to as an Old Timer rather than the old guy who died ... Someday hopefully it will happen to all of us even us younger old guys ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.