1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Herb Orre choke question ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Seitz231, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

For more than 35 years, Herb choked hundreds if not thousands of guns. Is there a way by looking or with a dial bore gage to tell if a gun has an Orre choke or not ? I'd like to be able to pick up a Model 12 and tell if it has one of Herb's chokes in it or not. Thanks in advance.

Skip DIllin

2. TjayE

TjayE Member

Check to see if there are any markings to indicate Herb Orre choke. I have a Win 101 barrel that Herb Orre put his magic choke in at the Grand during the 1960's and the barrel is stamped ORRE. Tom

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Check the parallel section of the choke, and if you see .004-.005 bell mouthing it's quite possible he put his reamers in it.

4. Quick 1

Quick 1 Active Member

He stamped some with a small stamp reading ORRE, but not all. If a dime will go in the end of the barrel about a quarter inch and stop, it is most likely what he called his Super Choke. His 16 yard choke was bigger and a dime would go right through. He also had a 27 yard choke on request. I have a model 12 that I had him do with this 27 yard choke and it measures .696 at the tightest point. A dime will not start in this choke. Hope this is of some help.
    Mike

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ask stu wright....

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Ditto what QUICK 1 stated.

Herb did one for me at the Grand one year and the next morning I shot a 99 in th Vandalia Handicap.

The gun is in a sealed case or else I'd pull the barrel and check. I think he stamped them "H Orre".

Whiz

7. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

Thanks to everybody for the replies. Has anyone with an Orre stamped barrel got a picture they could post ?

8. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

Thanks to everybody for the replies. Has anyone with an Orre stamped barrel got a picture they could post ?

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I measured a gun that was supposed to have Herb Orre super chokes done by the man himself, I honestly cannot remember if they were stamped or not but I do know the bore opened up just before the choke began in the barrels ... One of them was a Herb Orre Super Choke for 16's and the other was for the 27 and both barrels has the same type of opening just before the chokes ...
    Example Bore: .735/.742 (just before the chokes started, then .025 restriction for 16 yards ..

Bore: .744/.747 then the choke .039 restriction for long yardage ...

I'm not sure why he would of done the barrels that way but everyone that I have measured that was supposed to be and was stamped or was supposed to be and was not stamped are done the same way ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Bottom of citori. Taken with magnifying glass.
    pj999_2008_0303_116.jpg

11. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I had Doug Braker measure the choke on my barrel (1969 BT-99) when he was rebuilding the gun. He said it was .032 constriction on a .725 bore.

For a "second opinion" I asked Stu Wright to measure it at the Missouri State shoot. As soon as he put the gauge in it he said "Someone has worked on this. This is one of Herb's 27 yard barrels, that's all you need to know."

That is what I have been told by 2 pretty knowledgeable, reputable guys.

My brass choke checker goes down to MOD on the barrel and a dime will pass through. It hammers 'em from 25 yards.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Herb Orre called those his jug choked barrels.

Hap

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Hap,

Now that you mention it thats what he called them, I couldn't think of the word he used got to many things going on in my head to sort out one word ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. SB4J

SB4J Member

I have a 34", 1100 step rib barrel marked (very lightly) on the flat section (left side)that connects the barrel ring (gas port ring) H. G. ORRE. .732 bore, tapered to 028 thou. choke (no jug), slightly relieved at the muzzle. patterns nicely, very solid shooter to 27yd. line.

15. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Herb also had one called the "Super 16" also. I never had one, but my good friend and traveling squad mate had one on his Perazzi way back then. He also was the State Singles Champion one year with it.

Whiz

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The Ljutic 2 barrel set I have for sale has had both barrels done by Herb Orre, besides being totally redone by Ljutic which makes the gun like new ... Has a pull and release trigger and an extra release parts besides a box of parts that are probably worth about $500 in todays market all for $3,400.00 ... Nice gun at a very realistic price ... If anyone is interested send me an PM ... Thx, WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

As it was explained to me by my gunsmith ... a Herb Orre choke is made to pattern at a set yardage and has about 3/4 inch parallel at the end ... sometimes requiring a jug choke before the taper to get the desired dimensions.

I have a Mod 12 that measures .025 at the parallel and crushes them from the 27 yd line.

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Ahab,

Thats sounds like as good an explaination as any ... Whats the difference really as long as they work and do what they are intended to do ..? I seem to recall Bob McDaniels (sp?) from Michigan used to do jug choking also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. jrdlanes

jrdlanes Member

The pic that PJ999 posted is exactly what was stamped on the block of an Ithaca Import Perazzi MX8 Special OU block that I owned until recently. It was choked for doubles and it was much more capable than I. I think the bottom brl was choked at .016 or .017 and top at .027 or .028 JME John in Iowa

20. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I know I'm going to get hammered for this...but...

Herb Orre probably made some of the best shooting barrels bar-none. Unfortunately he had just as many that were not so good. He did most of the work in sort of a by-gosh, by-golly and by-eye, sort of way and many of his barrels simply don't shoot all that well. I remember watching him in the little building under the water tower at Vandalia. He had some kid with a drill motor polishing the barrels after he did whatever he did to them, no guides or centering tool! He also charged $25 if you wanted your barrel stamped with his name!

I would never buy an Orre barreled gun until I had the opportunity to pattern it. If you find a M12 you like that has no work done to the barrel send it to Wilkinson, Allor or Eyster and you will get a shooter! They do all their work very precisely and with modern machines.

Sorry to hurt anyone's feelings...just beware of the mystique of the Orre barrels.

Bob Schultz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

herb orr choke

herb orre

herb orre super choke
orre shotgun choke