1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Herb Orre 1100???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dirtyharry357Mag, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirtyharry357Mag

Dirtyharry357Mag Member

Just wondering, Did Herb Orre ever shoot Remington 1100's ? .. Because I have two barrels marked with Orre on the barrel (gas) lug, one is a step rib Full and the other is a Mod.
    Thanks for any help .. Harry

2. blaster

blaster Member

he was most like the one that did the barrel work on it?

3. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Are they for sale?

4. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

I think smoken hit it on the head. I have a hand me down 870 Trap that my dad had Herb Orre choke at the Grand in 67 or 68 and so marked on the barrel. Mr. Orre chocked at a minimum Rem. 1100's, 870's, and Win Model 12's as I have seen them so marked with a good background history.
    Very consistent full choke plus but really shines at handicap yardage. I was there when Dad placed the order and picked up the gun. Mr. Orre did a lot of hand work on his choke process. Wish I knew more details of his work.

Eddie Quire

5. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Herb choked quite a few non model 12 guns.

Did a fair amount of BT 99s in the mid 70s.

A friend of mine bought a model 12 build up in the mid 70s with Herbs super choke.

He brought it to the club one evening and passed it around.

You couldnt smoke a target from any yardage with it. Broke targets evenly usually four of five pieces.

Also had Herbs release - pull trigger, actuated by moving the safety button left or right.

Wish I had bought it.

Regards....Gerald

6. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I also had Herb choke a couple of BT-99s and a couple of TM-1s for me.

Ed Yanchok

7. GR8Guns

GR8Guns TS Member

Below is the link to an excellent read on Herb Orre, he is a member of the ATA Hall of Fame:

http://www.traphof.org/inductees/orre_herb.htm

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Herb most likely choked about every brand and model of gun around in his era at one time or another. I remember his booth at the Grand east of the cafeteria and shooters in line for his Super Choke.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Martin- The Herb Orre booth (your term) or wood shack (my term), brings back fond memories. With modern ammunition, the factory choke of the M-12 became very tight. Herb was the first to actively begin to open chokes a little bit. He is part of trap shooting history but his work, by todays standards, is a little lacking.

Pat Ireland

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Pat, no shack. Quality control refinement installation.

11. Dirtyharry357Mag

Dirtyharry357Mag Member

Thank you everyone for your Help... Talked to Kerry Allor last night. We are going to check Them out with the bore mic, And I'm going shoot them to see if like one over one of my stock Barrels and then they may be for sale...Let you know.. Harry

12. Dirtyharry357Mag

Dirtyharry357Mag Member

Hoosier Daddy.. All I can say now Is maybe..

13. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

After the ATA grounds were sold his shack was moved to the historical area of Clay Township my his relatives and friends. Clay Township was his place of residence by Phillisburg, Ohio.

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Stu Wright worked with Herb Orre years ago.. Stu has taken the concept of what Herb was doing.. and put top notch workmanship..and tools with it.. His results I think exceed any Herb Orre barrel I've ever shot..

While I don't agree with the .028 choke from the 27.. It's been proven time and time again.. It will and does work effectively.. The catch here is 1 1/8oz.. The old saying... I inkballed 99 or broke 100 applies here.. I'm a fan of .032 on up.. mainly because I shoot only 24 gram..

I've also seen Orre barrels that are crude by todays standards.. however.. if you look at some chokes card shooters use.. you'll wonder how they ever win anything.. While chokes are a very exacting science..there seems to be a HUGE difference in what is exactly right...

Despite all the talk of money thrown away.. I still use.. Stu and Tom Wilkinson for my project barrels..and have been very well pleased with both..

There are also many other excellent barrelsmiths out there and my exclusion of their names from this post has NOTHING to do with their work...

All Good.. Mike

15. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Herb Orre used reamers with no adjustment for bore diameter. His "Super Choke" was .705. He told me that it was good back to 25 yd.s. His .700 was know as the "27 yd choke" His "16 yd. choke" was .710.

I shot a TM-1 with his Super Choke for 20 years, I broke 3 98's from the 27 with it. I was a neighbor to Paul Graf in Hamilton Ohio. Paul and Herb were freinds for years. The 3 of us would eat together when at State shoots. I remember Herb working with an All American on a doubles choke. Herb stood on the adjoining trap to get a distance for the yardage this guy shot each target. The next morning Herb gave him the gun back. I was at his home in Phillipsburg with Paul when a man picked up a gun. He asked Herb how it shot. Herb went outside, loaded a shell and fired the gun up in the air. "It shoots just fine" Herb said.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bazooka Joe- Not every barrel he worked on came out exactly right. He could take a M-12 completely apart and reassemble it faster than anyone else in the world.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

herb orre model 12

remington 1100 herb orre choke