1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Herb Orr choke question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fishguts, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishguts

fishguts Member

A Perazzi TM1 is for sale in my area. The seller wants more than a TM1 is normally going for because it has a Herb Orr choke. I asked "what does that mean"?..no answer....so, what does that mean, except that the barrel has been tinkered with.

Wayne

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You got it, not worth anymore, more than likely less.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I checked a choke for a guy many years ago that was Orr choked. The parallel section was bell mouthed .005

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Read this months Trapshooting USA. An artical about Stu Wright, tells about Herbs career and barrel work.

Ed Yanchok

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Herb Orre? Wayne

6. fishguts

fishguts Member

I know that Mr.Orr did barrel work, and his name is stamped on the bottom of the barrel also. But what exactely does it mean to have a gun with his barrel work, besides the name. Is it for handicap, singles or what?..why would I pay more for a barrel of his?...I've seen guns with a Herb Orr choke being shot and I don't see any difference...what it is I should expect from one?

Wayne

7. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

I had a Mark II Beretta that Herb put a "super choke" in many years ago. I did notice a difference. I wouldn't smoke a target but broke it into a million pieces. I believe the work done by gunsmiths on barrels is worth what the customer pays, but to sell with these improvements is up to the buyer.

The question is: Is a $3000 gun with $1500 of work done worth $4500?

Mike

8. biking

biking Member

OK that begs a question. I am the original owner of a Browning BT-99 serial # 16d8, I made it to the 25 yard line with that 32' Orr chocked gun. Not many older BT-99's out there, anyway I sent it off to Herb Orr probably in 1968 or 9 for his "super choke". For the numbers guys (and gals) I just measured the choke, the bore is .725 at 5 1/2 inches from the choke it starts tapering down .38 choke, 1 3/4 inches from the muzzle it opens up to .16 choke. I took it out of the ole' gun safe and put a magnifying glass all over it and cannot see any evidence of his name and/or initials. I wonder when he started that identifying mark or am I missing its location. The BT-99 is in superior condition and for the lack of a release trigger (the result of popping too many caps over the years) you know how it goes,I'd be shootin' it today.

27ydgames thanked this.
  9. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

In the late 70's I had Herb do my 1100 bbl, back bore to .735, forcing cone, and Herb's screw in chokes (similar to Win Chokes). The barrel performs as well as I could have hoped.

My son recently bought a TM-1 with Orre screw in chokes. Hits targets hard from all yardages. His average with this gun went way up.

Does choke work make the gun worth more money? To me it does as I sent my TM-1 out for Wright's tubes. An unknown makers tubes could definitely lessen the gun's value. If done by Wilkenson, Wright, Briley, or others with their reputation I feel there would be added value. Others want everything to be factory original even if they are getting their butts handed to them on the trap range. Go figure.

Marc

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Herb did the barrel to my trap gun the night before I shot the 99 in the Vandalia Handicap many years ago.

I'm uncertain it makes any gun more valuable.

It worked for me.

Whiz

11. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Whiz: Didn't Ray Stafford bend the barrel on that 870 right before you shot that score? I think you wrote of that before.

12. fishguts

fishguts Member

This TM1 from the first thread has the name on the bottom of the barrel, under the forearm. A friend's M12 has Herb Orr right on the barrel next to the imp.mod marking. I guess it would be an important feature for some shooters, but not an extra $300 to me. I can hit a target as hard as any gun with my Ljutic, TM1 or M12.

Saturday I was hitting targets so hard that I went over to Tom Antczak and brushed the dust of his jacket so he would'nt get black dust in his truck.

Wayne

13. atashooter

atashooter Member

Herb Orre,... depends on to whom you talk to. My Dad had a Winchester 1200 done by him in '65. Dad said it shot like a rifle, and Herb fixed it. Dad could bust the hell out of targets with it. Me, I tried it and can't hit the broad side of a barn. Dad and many others said Herb was the Guru of chokes. Many on here have stated that he was the Butcher of Seville to a barrel. I was born in '65, so I didn't know Herb in his prime.

14. biff

biff Active Member

What Biking and Toolmaker 251 said! I owned a TM1 with a high rib that was done by Orre, it had his initials and was choked .038" with the muzzle as Toolmaker said. It had the best most even tight pattern of any gun I have owned....I owned it twice back when I was trading in guns and almost got it back a third time which would have been a final time. It was nicknamed "Old Rusty"! I think owning an unaltered Herb Orre gun would be worth more, possibly $300 more.

"Old Rusty" had been to Jack Seehaus also, but that's another reason I thought it shot so good! But some on here don't believe in barrel harmonics. If you ever raced a two-stroke motorcycle, you might understand. Biff

15. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a TM-1 and two BT-99s that Herb did at the Grand, back around '73. Two of them have his "Super Choke" for handicap and one of them has his "Sweet Sixteen Choke" for up to 23 yards. All have his stamp on the bottom of the monoblock. At the time, he charged $45.oo per barrel.

Ed Yanchok

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I have M12 that is Orre choked. It dosen't smoke targets it just breaks them into a cazillion pieces from the 16 to the 27.

Carl do you really go back that far????

Don

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a barrel on a 303 choked by Herb. It will never smoke a target but it sure does break them into a zillion pieces. It mics very strange

18. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I had a TM-1 which shot considerably to the right. I talked with Mr. Orre and based on what he told me, sent it to him to be fixed.

When I came back it shot just where it had before. I called him and he said it was impossible.

It's experiences like that that turned me into a self-made barrel bender, stock man, choke-tuner and everything.

Neil

19. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

I gave him my 1100 bbl in 1976 at his little building near the Cafeteria at the Grand. He asked what kind of choke do I want? I said what you got? He says he has a 16 yd choke, a doubles choke and a 27 yd choke. What do you use this gun the most for? I said Doves,Ducks and Doubles.He said I'll put in a Doubles choke come back tomorrow. I went back to pick up my barrel and he handed me the wrong one. It had a tag that said doubles choke but I knew it wasn't my barrel as I has a homemade brass center bead. I saw my barrel with a tag that said 27 yd choke. Then a guy came over and asked for his 27 yd choked 1100 barrel.Herb asked if the first one he showed me was this gentlemans barrel and he said Yes. So, Herb switched tags and we went our seperate ways.I could really turn a target inside out with that barrel and I said to myself Uh Oh! Then some of the guys at the "Club" asked why did I buy a Ljutic when I could shoot my 1100 well and I said that it's 90% custom made and has a better more even choke than any gun out there. They said they didn't believe it. So I had to show them. I picked up 2 target boxes and set them up in front of the traphouse about 20-25yds away too close I know but that's what I did. I was reloading the Paper Super Target shell then and I shot one box with the 1100 and one with my Ljutic. I brought them back and the 1100 blew a hole in the center of the pattern about 1 1/2" in dia and the wad hit about at the edge of the box so I knew the wad didn't cause the hole. The one shot with the Ljutic was nice and dense and more even though center dense with out a hole except from the wad about 6" away from the center of the pattern.So I said,see the Ljutic is more even like I said. They loved that over choked center blowing 1100 pattern better. I like it at long range though. I shot a Canada Goose with 1 1/4 oz. of steel #2's one day at over 40 yds and it dropped like a stone. The taxidermist asked what I hit it with. I told him and asked why? He said there was a big hole under it's wing that went straight through the goose. He thought I shot a slug.And no they never got wet to rust the pellets together. Sorry for the long story and I KNOW someone won't believe it or will give me a lot of crap about it but I don't care. It's true and I'm sticking with it.I still have the 1100 with lots of steel shot gone through it,mostly 2's and the Ljutic. If anybody wants to experiment on their dime I'll bring them over.

20. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Ruck: Yup, same barrel... even had a loose rib.

Ray and Herb did me eright, I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

herb orr

herb orr barrel

herb orr choke

herb orr triggers
herb orre gun smith
herb orre gunsmith

herb orre super choke

herb orre super full choke tubes