1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Henry Rifle opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RobPete, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobPete

RobPete Member

Hi all. I have an itch to buy a new toy and am leaning towards a lever action .22LR. Specifically a Henry model H001T(octagon barrel). It seems like a solid rifle and for $321. shipped, a steal.

Has anybody had experience with these new Henrys? How about the model mentioned above?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

2. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Great rifles. Have more fun and buy the .17HMR. Jimmy Borum

3. Tim Lee

Tim Lee Member

I love em'... I bought an H001T for myself after shooting my son's. On average, I put a couple hundred rounds a month through it shooting Smallbore Cowboy Silhouettes. Both of ours shoot everything from the cheap stuff all the way to match ammo into 1-1/2" or less at 100 yards.

Liked them so much about a year ago I bought an H001TM (same gun in 22mag) to shoot PCCLA Silhouettes. It had some vertical stringing problems out of the box and Henry changed the barrel out free, no questions asked. It now shoots flat and accurate (3/4" groups are common) out to 100yards plus.

Also, they are the 1st guns I ever attempted reducing the trigger pull. They come factory with about a 3-1/2 to 4 lb trigger with a little creep. I got my son's down to 2-1/2lbs, my H001T down to about 1-1/2lb, and the H001TM down to about 1 lb. All break very crisp.

my .02,

-Tim

4. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

About 4 - 5 years ago I bought a Henry .22 lever gun. Fantastic little gun.
    Shoots as accurately as I am able to do, never jams, & has never broke or malfunctioned in any way. I would highly recommend the Henry. Heck, it makes you fell like John Wayne!!! Colonel

5. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Attend the Texas State Shoot. We give 18 of the Golden Boys away each year as open trophies in two handicaps. Jimmy Borum

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have to agree with all of the above. I am a dealer and have sold hundreds of these rifles in all the calibers and have never, I repeat never had a problem with any of them. I have enjoyed them tremendously myself. I had to take my H004 to a gunsmith to have it tapped for the scope but that only cost me $20.00 so it wasn't a big deal. Their customer service is second to none. I've ordered accessories from them and they were a pleasure to deal with and were good to ship them right away. As you can tell, I think you can't go wrong with a Henry! Jackie B.

7. Church Key

Church Key TS Member

I have one that I got for Cowboy Action Shooting as I could not find a new or used Marlin 39A anywhere near me. I had earlier tried a Browning lever .22 and found out it was to difficult to lever fast due to its very short stroke. Then got a Taurus pump; it was to difficult to keep on target because of its light weight, plus had some ejection issues (RWS target ammo would sometimes not extract.

Got a new Henry H001T at a very good price. It has one issue when shooting fast; it will sometimes not even dent a .22 rim. I spent some time checking the issue and discovered that Henry's have an unusual hammer safety which is the cause of the non-hits. Instead of a traditional 1/2 cock hammer safety, the Henry has a safety mechanism that requires the hammer to be almost completely lowered while the lever is pressed tightly against the stock. There is an audible click when using the rifle normally, which is the safety notch being bypassed to allow the gun to fire; otherwise the hammer gets trapped by the safety.

Anyhow, there appears to be two cures. The first is to deactivate the safety; not a good idea in case the gun ever gets sold. The second is to pad the inside of the top of the lever with some leather to provide more pressure when levering fast. I chose the latter.

If you are shooting the rifle at a deliberate pace, you should not encounter the above situation. Other that, it works fine and is quite accurate.

8. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Great American made rifle with equally great service. I believe the factory has moved from Brooklyn, NY to Bayonne, NJ.

Chichay

9. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

We have two a .22lr and a .22 mag they are great little toys to plink with sometimes have a problem with misfires but it happens seldom.

10. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

My guess your mis fires could be related to the ammo. I have some guns that never misfire and some that do on occasion with all the same ammo.

11. Church Key

Church Key TS Member

Please read my post above which explains in detail the Henry "light hit" issue. It's a design/operator issue with their hammer safety. The lever must be tight against the stock. A light hit is not an ammo problem.

12. RobPete

RobPete Member

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I'll probably get my order in next week(self Orthodox Christmas present!)

13. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

We sell about one a week and have had none come back with problems. Had an iteresting thing happen two weeks ago...someone brought in an IJ lever action 22, made in Germany at the end of IJs days. It is line for line, screw for screw a direct ancestor of the Henry. If Henry didn't copy it I'd be surprised.

Both great guns. I have no problem recommending the Henry.

Interesting note, they all come from the factory "cocked".

14. plabels466

plabels466 Member

I have exactly what you want to buy - best 22 you will ever own.....Very well built & pretty wood.....I take this 22 to the range every time we go to shoot other firearms.....I also shoot the little 22 short ammo - now that is fun.....And it is a very accurate rifle.....You will love it.....Merry Christmas.....Pete

15. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

MY SON HAS ONE FOR 3 YEARS. HAS PUT AT LEAST 10K SHOTS THRU IT. HE HAS THE LARGE ROUND LEVER ALA CHUCK CONNERS! NEVER MISSED A BEAT. THEY HAVE A COOL WEBSITE WITH A VIDEO OF PRODUCTION LINE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.