1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Henry Austin Illinois Trapshooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by twoatlow8, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

I have one of Henrys guns and I am looking for any storys on Henry Austin for a display I an doing for a gun show.

I have asked for this information before and had some great stories from people who knew and shot with Henry. Unfourtnatly I printed out the stories and can not find them so if you wrote before please write again.

I would like to thank Jim Matteson Illinois ITA President for sending me Henrys Hall of Fame information Henry was the ninth shooter in ATA History to register 200,000 targets!
    I know he was on many All American Teams and if any one has any pictures of Henry I would love to have a copy of one.
    Thank You in Advance.
    Scott Janowski

2. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

If you have one of Henry's guns it must be a Remington model 31..I watched him shoot at the Illinois State shoot in Springfield many times..I think he is the guy that taught Morris Stinebring and his brother Roger the shooting game.They shot together on a lot of squads.Maybe Morry would be the guy to contact as they were farmers in the same area..I heard he had quite a collection of 31s.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Remington Model 32's. Used to shoot doubles with Henry toward the end of his career. He let me try one of his 32's and I was hooked. Interesting guy. I thought he had a shoe store in Champaign. I didn't know he was a farmer.

4. JSED

JSED TS Member

Hi Scott,

My name is Jerry Sedlacek, I was a director in the ISTA for 27 years and I new Henry very well.
    I will never forget a shoot-off of Henrys' that I was reffering at the IL. State Shoot. The shoot-off was just starting, Henry was on post 2 and it was his turn to shoot. Henry called for a target and nothing happened, he put his gun (model 31 remington) down and went through his preparation for the target again. He called for another target and nothing happened again, before I could say anthing Henry turned to the puller and asked what was wrong? The puller looked Henry in the eye and said "Mister, you can call for targets all day long, but untill you get your toe behind the line I'm not throwing you one". Right away I looked down and sure enough Henrys' toe was over the line. Henry backed up, went through his preparations again and went on to win the shoot off.
    Henry was a gentleman and a tremendous shot.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Are you any relation to the Jerry Sedlacek who was - and is - one of the all time greatest shooters in Illinois history?

6. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

I am no relation to Henry or Jerry.

From some information I gathered I think Henry ran a Sports shop in Champlain Ill. and made Tennis Rackets?

The gun I have is a Parker single barrel trap it is like new so I do not think he shot it much but his name is in the silver oval in the stock.

I met with Babe DelGreo and he looked at the gun and rembemered Henry in the shop when he worked with his dad.
    He stated that Henry had many model 31 and 32 Remingtons that his dad worked on and he still had a file with on all the guns they had done work on for Henry.

I will post pictures of the gun for you guys tonight.
    Thank you for your help I hope to put together a nice display about Henry and his Parker for the Parker Gun Display at the Southern Side by Side Championships at the end of April.
    Scott

7. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

8. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

I found the old thread! Thanks to Trapshooters Help! This is my favroite from the old thread;

Subject: Illinois Hall of Famer Henry Austin
    Email:
    Date: Mon, Dec 01, 2008 - 07:40 PM ET
    Website Address:

I shot with Henry many times when I was a sub-junior in the late '70's. The first time I shot with him was at Exline, IL., 200 target singles event. He found out we were squaded together and came over and introduced himself. When he turned around to walk away, you couldn't help but notice that on the back of his well worn vest, he had Sports Afield All American patches overlaid on top of each other so that only the year showed. Well these patches started on the top of his left shoulder and went all the way to the bottom, and then, chronologically they began on the top of his right shoulder and continued down until they changed to Trap and Field All American ending up near the current year. As a then twelve year old you can't imagine my terror of having to be squaded with such a great shooter. I couldn't tell you what I shot that day but I'll never forget Henry's 198. He missed the first target in the first hundred and the last target in the second. After we finished, he told me some things he thought I should work on and also told me what his problem was. He said, "Son I missed those two targets today the way most people miss, I wasn't ready. Always be mentally ready to break the bird." I shot with Henry many times after that and he was always a gentleman in the truest sense. As I recall, he used to string tennis rackets and may have owned a sport shop. I also remember that he correctly forcasted the Wimbledon winner for a dozen years running. I also have wondered what ever became of that collection of 31's and 32's along with his vest. Thank you for letting me share my memories of this great man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.