1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Helping the job of scorers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JB Logan Co. Ohio, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Buckets/boxes are a good way to throw empties away but they oftentimes set off the microphone triggering the trap and waste a target (as well as loudmouths on the line between posts). I won't start (again) with what I think about those who can't corral their empties and throw them away after the round (and this includes shooting doubles). Whoever throws 'em should pick 'em.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Each and every person should be responsible for their own empties. Why should anyone have to pick up after anyone else? Beside the point of littering, I would think that it would be common courtesy to pick up after yourself.

Every gun club I've been to have had someplace to dump empty shells, boxes and other garbage. Do you suppose the garbage cans are there for a reason?

Bill

3. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Ditto to likes-to-shoot I am amazed how people just let them fly even if they have a shell pouch, waste cans, buckets you name it? There are many posts on hear about the rising cost of trapshooting it stands to reason that someone has to pay someone to pick up all those hulls.

4. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

But fellows, don't you think you look cool letting the hulls fly? TIC RG

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

To tell you the truth, I'd like to see the ATA pass some kind of by-law or what ever you would call it to stop the practice of dumping your shells on the ground.

You could save them and dump them after your round.

If everyone did this it would save the amount of money you'd have to pay the trap help over a years time.

As for practice, charge more for those shooters that want to shuck their empties on the line. If you'd hit them in the billfold, they would soon stop doing it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Hauxfan!

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

At Markham Park in S. Florida the county has paid help to do the scoring, target reloading and field clean up. They use lawn rakes to gather the shells and then box and dump them. FWIW, right now the county is replacing all of the field lighting with new brighter more energy efficent units that are computer controlled for fixture adjustment and on/off time. Each field has three 30' poles with a 3-4-3 fixture layout. Even though we pay $7 a round for targets it's worth it not to have to be concerned with the day to day maintenence and associated costs.

Eric

7. kirby

kirby TS Member

I don't see why the ATA should get involved in requiring people to pick up hulls. That should be left up to the particular gun club. I have no problem with a club requiring or requesting people to pick up their hulls if they feel that is appropriate.

I have shot at clubs that request you pick up your hulls and I have shot at clubs that specifically request that you do not pick up empty hulls off the ground.

Good shooting,

Kirby

8. richrob

richrob TS Member

I shot sporting clays at a place that was VERY strict about this. They had buckets at each station for people to use. It was posted that if you decided to throw your hulls on the ground that you would be charged a $5 PER hull cleanup fee. Even if I am gonna toss mine I put them in my bag and throw them away after the round so it didnt bother me. I wonder just how often they have to enforce that. -Rich

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Simone.........No problem with ejecting shells during shooting the round........Whats the problem with picking them up afterwards?

I agree with you on the speakers. We all should move our own for the simple reason that it's our own responsibility to be at the correct yardage.

Bill

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

zarathrusta....simple answer....increase the club's percentage of the pot to pay for the kids cleaning up those hulls in front of the clubhouse.

Bet they stop letting them fly!

11. docrtaylor

docrtaylor TS Member

i work at a club and we put either boxes or buckets out for the hulls. Personally i could care less if the shooter ignores this and throws them on the ground when we have provided a container for them. It is just a courtesy issue in my opinion.

12. JB Logan Co. Ohio

Simone, I've shot doubles (neither well, nor often enough) and I'm capable of putting two shells into my (empty) shell pouch at once without disrupting my concentration. Moving the speakers is as simple as looking at the person to your left's placement of their mic. That way you don't mismatch their placement to a illegal yardage. It actualls speeds the squad along as they don't have to make gross movements of the mic just fine tune it a bit. Just my .02......it's a courtesy thing, ya know?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not have a problem with someone ejecting shells on the ground at my club. I am glad to have them at the shoot and I will pick up their empties. Actually, it is difficult for me to pick up shooters empty hulls because Art B. or Pete K. do it before I can get to the field.

Pat Ireland

14. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

FWIW, when ever I see shooters going through emptys on a field it reminds me of beggers scavenging for food on the ground.

Eric

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Much ado about nothing.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

zarathrusta- My post was not as clear as I intended. I, along with Art B. and Pete K. will pick up your empty hulls after everyone has gone and we are putting the speakers up, burning the empty boxes and cleaning up other stuff that seems to accumulate during a shoot.

Pat Ireland

17. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I wear a hull pouch when shooting and place my empties in it. I discard what I don't want after the round. Many times the scorer at a large shoot will see me emptying my hull bag and thank me for being considerate. In the rare event i cull hulls during a practice round, I throw them in the container just AFTER the shooter to my right has fired. The only time I eject hulls onto the ground is if I am in a 2 or 3 man doubles squad. I'm still new enough at doubles that I NEED to see the pair before mine.

18. JB Logan Co. Ohio

Much ado about nothing if you are NOT the individual who is picking up all the empties off the ground.

I'm not above keeping hulls I pick up/find on the ground. I've been called a hull-whore before. I just remember where it was that I came from. Do I have the funds to shoot new all the time.....maybe. Do I want to (or give up reloading?) NO.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dusty- My club has between 12-14 ATA events each year. Early in the morning, I get to the club, set targets, put out speakers and help load targets in the houses. During the shoot, I help score. After the shoots, I help clean up including picking up all of the hulls. I have a lot of help from 2-4 others doing this. When picking up the empty hulls, if I find some new AA hulls I might keep them or let someone else have them. It is unusual to see new AA hulls on the ground at our shoots. Most of the empty hulls are discount brands with steel heads. I only reload AA hulls.

I an happy to have shooters come to my local club. If they want to put their hulls in a pouch and then later toss them, that is fine. If they want to toss their hulls on the ground, that is also fine. I am glad they showed up no matter what they do with their hulls.

The chair shooters I know happily roll over empty hulls. These shooters are a great bunch.

Pat Ireland

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jerry, as you know, I have my own small business. My current plans are to have my heart attack first and then retire in a warm grave.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.